Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1998 Civic Wiper Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Civic Wiper Problem

Hey, I have read a few threads about the notorious wiper motor issue, but that doesnt seem to apply to my car. I changed the motor today and it didnt fix anything. my problem isnt really the 'parking' that i read about in the bulletin, my intermittent, and low dont work, only high works.. i can hear a click in the dash on the intermittent setting as if it is working, but the wiper wont budge.. any ideas?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: 1998 Civic Wiper Problem

It could very well be the switch.

When purchasing a wiper switch for a 6G Civic, remember there are two types. There is the normal type and then there is the type for DX hatchbacks, which have controls for the rear wiper.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How about a DX coupe?.. my local wrecking yard has a 99 dx coupe, it might fit.. they are like $90 new, i need to get by as cheap as i can for now.. Thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is definitely not the motor. If you have settings on the switch that don't work but the high works then it's the switch. If the motor was bad you most likely wouldn't have anything working or working intermittently. A DX coupe will work for you. I'd highly recommend purchasing a new one from the local auto parts store though. Used electronic items are kind of a no-no from the junkyard.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by lexluther
How about a DX coupe?.. my local wrecking yard has a 99 dx coupe, it might fit.. they are like $90 new, i need to get by as cheap as i can for now.. Thanks
Yes, all trims are the same except the DX hatchback. All coupes and sedans are interchangeable, as is the CX hatch.

Used should work just fine. I've used used headlight and wiper switches on cars here and have never had a problem.
Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
That is definitely not the motor. If you have settings on the switch that don't work but the high works then it's the switch. If the motor was bad you most likely wouldn't have anything working or working intermittently. A DX coupe will work for you. I'd highly recommend purchasing a new one from the local auto parts store though. Used electronic items are kind of a no-no from the junkyard.
Not really true. There is a service bulletin out about the wiper motors on some 6G ('96-'00) Civics. The park switch within the motor breaks, so the wipers will stop where ever they are when you turn the switch off. This can also affect some of the speeds. Some speeds might not work.

Replace the motor and it fixes it. At least it does if the issue is that park switch in the motor.

My car actually had this issue. Replaced the motor and I've had no problem since.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's talking about a parking problem though, he's saying the settings just plain don't work. Generally if the settings don't work, it's the switch and if it parks incorrectly then it's the motor, from what I've seen anyway with working on cars.

I really like how the Civic wipers work though. If you have the switch off and hit the mist setting you can park the wipers basically where you want. Not sure if it's supposed to work like that, but during the winter it makes it so you can park the wipers directly over the defrost vent on the windshield and thaw the ice off them.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
H-T White Ops

That's talking about a parking problem though, he's saying the settings just plain don't work. Generally if the settings don't work, it's the switch and if it parks incorrectly then it's the motor, from what I've seen anyway with working on cars.

I really like how the Civic wipers work though. If you have the switch off and hit the mist setting you can park the wipers basically where you want. Not sure if it's supposed to work like that, but during the winter it makes it so you can park the wipers directly over the defrost vent on the windshield and thaw the ice off them.
The issue I was talking about also involves some settings not working.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You wanna fight NOFX? Time to throw down!

Out of the issues I've ever had, it was the switch, not the motor. If you're talking about RX-7's, switch was ALWAYS the problem. I haven't had a motor fail on me yet.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 PM
H-T White Ops

You wanna fight NOFX? Time to throw down!

Out of the issues I've ever had, it was the switch, not the motor. If you're talking about RX-7's, switch was ALWAYS the problem. I haven't had a motor fail on me yet.
Honda put out a technical service bulletin about the motors on these cars even. Mine had the problem. I am using the original switch and the problem was fixed when I replaced the motor.

I know it sounds like it'd only be a switch issue, but it's not always that way.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No im saying high is the only thing that works, not intermittent, or low, only high.. i replaced the motor assembly with a used one but maybe it had the same issue, i am aware of the bulletin..
Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by lexluther
No im saying high is the only thing that works, not intermittent, or low, only high.. i replaced the motor assembly with a used one but maybe it had the same issue, i am aware of the bulletin..
Hi there. I have the same problem as you described it (including the clicking sound coming from the wiper motor when the switch is set on the "intermittent wiper" setting). When you swapped the wiper motor, did the new motor make the same sound in the intermitten wiper setting? Also, have you tried repolacing the switch itsel as suggested by The_Honda_Guy? Just wondering what progress you made so far on the issue. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I havent went any further yet, i will update..
Old 04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Trial User

Nothing like posting years later, but it may help someone.
I've had a similar problem where low and high worked fine but no intermittent (98 Civic DX)
I finally traced it down to a control module mounted on the back of the fuse box. (ECM Integrated Control Unit TRX 38600-SO1-A1).
It's a 10 minute fix. I picked one up at the pick and pull yard for $3.
It's a black box that will pop off the back of the fuse box. You'll have to unplug one set of wires either before or after you pop off the black box.
Hope that helps someone!