Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1996 Honda Civic EX Head gasket change???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Honda Civic EX Head gasket change???

Hey guys,

So i have been reading through this forum and a few others, but havent found direct answers to the questions i have. With that being said, i will give you a quick rundown of my situation.

I have a 1996 Honda Civic EX with 140k miles. The previous owner (girlfriends soon-to-be stepfather) only used the car for local commuting. Since the trips were usually less than 15 minutes in either direction, the exhaust has rusted out almost every year. I must also mention their "mechanic" is a crackpot, and didnt even bleed the brakes when he replaced them. Anyway, i am replacing the exhaust from the manifold back. I am also replacing the valve cover gasket and distributor gasket for an oil leak. The rotors and pads are also being replaced due to shaking under braking.

What is being changed: Exhaust - Header back;Valve cover gasket;Distributor gasket

So now to the question... Should i replace the head gasket while i am in there?

If i do change the head gasket, is there anything else i should replace? Such as the PCV valve. Also, if i were to remove the head, am i able to clean the now exposed parts? If so, what should i clean, and how should it be done? I guess the important question regarding that, what should i be careful about if i do the gasket change and clean the head?

Its not something i have done before, obviously, but i am mechanically inclined. Unfortunately between work, 6 month old twins, and being a full time student, i will only have Saturday and Sunday to work on the car. That also means i dont have the time to research these topics, and be confident that there wasnt something i missed.

I appreciate any responses that can assist me with this. No, im not trying to tune my honda either, just keep it running to get me to work for a few more years. If anyone has other suggestions for future work, please feel free to post it.

Thanks
-1337Carbon-
Old 07-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1996 Honda Civic EX Head gasket change???

thats really not "in there". separating a head from a block seems a bit much for no reason. head gaskets are not maintenance items.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I realize its not a maintenance item, but as the first Honda im responsible for, i would like to know if it should be changed. Being "in there" refers to the fact im already changing the valve cover gasket, distributor gasket, and changing the headers. So if im already doing those, whats a few more hours to change the head gasket. I will have an experienced "driveway mechanic" helping out. So would it be better to change the head gasket, and clean it up, or just wait? Also, since the engine did blow a gasket, should i change the pcv valve since i will be right there?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:49 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

timing belt/water pump is a bigger priority. timing belt goes, the majority of the time so do your valves. water pump is driven by the timing belt, so do it while you're in there. pcv valves are regular maintenance items, so yes replace it. a solid ignition tune up is also a good idea. oe replacement ngk plugs, denso/ngk wires, oem cap/rotor.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, I will look into the belt, pump, and distributor parts
Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you do decide to do the head gasket, I agree with eghatch9295, it would be dumb to go that far and not add the timing belt and water pump, Dayco has a decent kit that includes belt, pump and tensioner.