Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1993 eg roof chipping need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 02:00 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 eg roof chipping need help

Hello, my 1993 dx is giving me some issues with the roof. The roof seems to be chipping off easily and I don't know what to do, this just started happening and this is a first for me so if anyone has some advice it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:04 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 1993 eg roof chipping need help

This is my roof

Old 06-17-2016, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does the rest of the car body paint look in good shape? any other peeling or chipping anywhere else? what kind of environment is the car kept in?
the roof paint looks to be in very bad condition, i wouldn't be surprised if it was poorly repaired at some point and now it's showing through.
from the looks of the first picture, there seems to be a lot of rust on the right hand side where the paint has opened up - was it looking like this as soon as the paint chipped away, or has it rusted over time? poorly prepared bodywork or panel rust could definitely contribute to the paint's degradation

if i were you i'd just strip the whole roof back to see the damage underneath. if it all looks good then prep and repaint the whole roof panel. either that or take it to a body shop to get checked out since big rust-effected areas won't be easy for you to fix
Old 06-17-2016, 02:39 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by dylspil
does the rest of the car body paint look in good shape? any other peeling or chipping anywhere else? what kind of environment is the car kept in?
the roof paint looks to be in very bad condition, i wouldn't be surprised if it was poorly repaired at some point and now it's showing through.
from the looks of the first picture, there seems to be a lot of rust on the right hand side where the paint has opened up - was it looking like this as soon as the paint chipped away, or has it rusted over time? poorly prepared bodywork or panel rust could definitely contribute to the paint's degradation

if i were you i'd just strip the whole roof back to see the damage underneath. if it all looks good then prep and repaint the whole roof panel. either that or take it to a body shop to get checked out since big rust-effected areas won't be easy for you to fix
The car has been in good conditions but it's been raining here recently and the only other rust spots are the normal Honda cancer on the quarters but the roof it the only thing that's bothering me right now because of course it happens when I just lose my job so I have no money to fix it. But I was looking to get it painted soon so I might drive up to my local body/ paint shop today and see what they can do for it or what they could tell me to do. thank you for the advice.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:16 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto the above^^^, crappy paint job, improper prep.

All you can do is have it redone. 94