Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1993 civic cranks but won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 civic cranks but won't start!

at first, i thought it couldve been my fuel pump but everythings fine. it turns on, motor cranks but sounds as if it has no gas. i then hear a clicking sound coming from the fuse box under the dash. what can this be? if anyone can help, i'd appreciate it. thanks in advance
Old 12-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turn the ignition to the on position and listen for a humming noise coming from the rear of the car. if u cant here it then take a rubber mallet and hit your fuel tank a few times. if that dont work, check for spark. if u have spark then check the relays in the fuse box and make sure they work.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MY FREAKING CAR DID THE SAME THING ON SUNDAY NIGHT ON THE DRIVE HOME!
i was driving home and at a stop sign some guy wanted to race. so we took off and about 20 feet from the stop sign my car died!
3 hours later a tow truck came and towed my car home.
i checked the fuel pump, made sure the spark plugs were tight, spark plug wires were connect right etc.
it was NONE of that.
then i thought "HMMM.... ignition coil". i checked it. that mess was blown. didnt work.
went to autozone, bought a new one and now it starts like a beauty!

its your ignition coil
Old 12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zkdawg
turn the ignition to the on position and listen for a humming noise coming from the rear of the car. if u cant here it then take a rubber mallet and hit your fuel tank a few times. if that dont work, check for spark. if u have spark then check the relays in the fuse box and make sure they work.
wow! i never herd of hitting your gas tank...

check under your dash, there should be a gray relay by your left foot

i replaced that and my car ran fine.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the one beside your left foot is the main relay.. it sounds to be that the coil isn't firing.. it would be best to see if your getting spark before buying parts and if your not just change the coil.. as unseen racer said.. my car also did the same thing over the weekend lol...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iamthefollower
yeah the one beside your left foot is the main relay.. it sounds to be that the coil isn't firing.. it would be best to see if your getting spark before buying parts and if your not just change the coil.. as unseen racer said.. my car also did the same thing over the weekend lol...

what are you talking about? i checked the ignition coil to see if it was firing.
Originally Posted by unseen racer
then i thought "HMMM.... ignition coil". i checked it. that mess was blown
Old 12-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, this appears to be a recent common problem haha. i will check for spark to make sure its not the ignition coil and then move ahead on to the main relay. thanks fellas
Old 12-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Unseen Racer
what are you talking about? i checked the ignition coil to see if it was firing.

Ok ?, why are you getting upset for someone agreeing with you?? read the post again, I was talking to the OP.. I was also telling him to check the coil... as i said.. like Unseen Racer said before.. but then I was also saying that mine had also done this over the weekend.. read and check before posting, instead of arguing with someone for agreeing with u.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PreludePeterr
wow, this appears to be a recent common problem haha. i will check for spark to make sure its not the ignition coil and then move ahead on to the main relay. thanks fellas
If its the main relay you wont hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on...If you do hear the fuel pump prime then the main relay is ok.

But main relays that are bad can work when they want to, and suddenly not work. I had a problem like that with a old DA, somtimes it wouldn't start, and sometimes it would. I did a lot of research and ruled everything out. Ended up it was a faulty main relay, and honda had changed the part number from RZ-0063 to RZ-0067.

Spray starting fluid in the intake and try and start the car, if it runs for a second and dies then fuel isn't getin were its supposed to be.