Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1992 Civic SiRII..LSD or no LSD that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Civic SiRII..LSD or no LSD that is the question

I just bought a 1992 Civic SiRII, the guy who owned it before me was into looks more than performance and doesn't know if the car he bought from Japan had a LSD or not. I know with Integra's theres a LSD decal on the hatch. But not on EGs, so aside from taking the axles out, or doing a burnout(Ive owned open diff cars that have left two tire patches anyway) is there any markings on the tranny casing or on the body that would tell if it has a LSD or not?

I have onwed only one oher FWD with a LSD and it feels the same when giving it power in a corner, so I "think" it has a LSD. Just want to make sure. TIA.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow. Do you realize you're in the Accord forum?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do now, thanks tips. I sux at teh internet, sorry. If someone could move it that would be fan freakin tastic .
Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres a pic to lure in the folks.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you put the car up on jack stands and spin the front tires, both tires should spin the same direction if you have an LSD.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the car driveline is stock then you have no lsd
Old 12-10-2008, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need Skyline parts, let me know, its nice in Canada, you only have to wait 15 years to get a JDM stock Skyline.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slo_RSX
If you put the car up on jack stands and spin the front tires, both tires should spin the same direction if you have an LSD.
In neutral or in gear?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM

Put it in gear, set parking brake and jack up car and spin tires
Old 12-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slo_RSX
In neutral when I spin one tire the other tire does nothing. I read that if they spin the opposite direction to each other its open diff and if they spin the same direction then its a LSD. Why does one tire not move at all on my car when I do this in neutral?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by erk89
Put it in gear, set parking brake and jack up car and spin tires
did you read what he said? put it in gear, not in neutral
Old 12-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to bad that only works with aftermarket clutch style lsds not stock hondas that he is asking about. Turn the wheels a good amount to the right and drop the clutch hard, if you have driven many fwd's you will know right away if it has a posi or pull a axle.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM-Vic
In neutral when I spin one tire the other tire does nothing. I read that if they spin the opposite direction to each other its open diff and if they spin the same direction then its a LSD. Why does one tire not move at all on my car when I do this in neutral?
I think that means its a non locking LSD. My is a locked diff and thats why booth of mine spin. I could be wrong. But
Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jeremyrocksursox
did you read what he said? put it in gear, not in neutral
so your telling him to try and turn the engine over by the drive wheels with his hands??? and if the slim chance he can accomplish such a task, he will melt the skin off his hands by the speed of the tires when the engine does start. he needs to either look at the stamp on the trans, or suck it up and take the axles out!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93SiRIIB16A
so your telling him to try and turn the engine over by the drive wheels with his hands??? and if the slim chance he can accomplish such a task, he will melt the skin off his hands by the speed of the tires when the engine does start. he needs to either look at the stamp on the trans, or suck it up and take the axles out!
Not with the engine running...
Just jack up the car, put it on stands, and turn the wheels by hand, having somebody watch the other side. Honda diffs can be tricky doing this..so use Bense's method. Put one wheel on grass, the other on pavement. Pop the clutch..if the wheel on the grass spins, it's open diff. If it spins for a second then hooks on the pavement, its LSD.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by F20B-CX
Not with the engine running...
Just jack up the car, put it on stands, and turn the wheels by hand, having somebody watch the other side. Honda diffs can be tricky doing this..so use Bense's method. Put one wheel on grass, the other on pavement. Pop the clutch..if the wheel on the grass spins, it's open diff. If it spins for a second then hooks on the pavement, its LSD.
of course the half and half check is an accurate way to find out if it's an LSD, but you gotta be very careful when doing that because u can blow out the diff extreamly easy that way, as great as LSD trannys are, they are sensitive at the same time. if the car is a true jdm spec eg then it's a 50/50 shot more then likely if it doesn't say it on the back window it's either a conversion or a non lsd, if it does it's either a done right conversion or a true lsd, either way I'm sure everyone on here will agree that the tranny that comes in the sir is a pretty good solid trans, I have a B16A SiRII in my Eg and it's a non lsd, either way bro you got a solid platform to work with, good luck they car looks great. HONDA PERFORMACE
Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 1992 Civic SiRII, the guy who owned it before me was into looks more than performance and doesn't know if the car he bought from Japan had a LSD or not. I know with Integra's theres a LSD decal on the hatch. But not on EGs..
Yes, some Civic's came with LSD's and they said lsd on the tranny and had a sticker on the rear hatch glass. They also had a sticker if it had ABS.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy crap batman. What a load of crap in this thread. JDM SiR II's will have a big stamp on the transmission housing that says 'LSD' if your car is so equipped. If you see no stamp you probably haven't got it.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ch0g0nda
Holy crap batman. What a load of crap in this thread. JDM SiR II's will have a big stamp on the transmission housing that says 'LSD' if your car is so equipped. If you see no stamp you probably haven't got it.

WRONG!!!! SiRIIs did not come with LSDs from the factory, it was only a dealer option. So there would be no stamping on the tranny when it left the factory, nor after it was installed at the dealership.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WRONG!!!! SiRIIs did not come with LSDs from the factory, it was only a dealer option. So there would be no stamping on the tranny when it left the factory, nor after it was installed at the dealership.
Since you know everything, you should be able to figure out how to find out if you have LSD or not. But its obvious you dont know everything so listen to people who know a little something.

EFs and EGs came from the FACTORY with LSD optional. Not dealer installed. There would be LSD stamped on the tranny and a sticker on the back hatch glass on the EG if it had one installed. Most of the time ABS was also installed and came with a LSD\ABS tag.

There are people who have these cars long before you picked up yours so we know a little of what we are talking about...

Old 12-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive got an sir swap in both my 5th gens. 1 has lsd the other doesnt. to me its obvious as hell. the one without spins all the damn time, the one with almost always hooks and goes.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...do a burn out. 1 tire fire or 2.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:45 PM

I am even confussed on this thread. Heck toss a coin in the air and call it. Heads it a LSD tails it's not. go figure!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blueg6
...do a burn out. 1 tire fire or 2.
dont think this is always true is it? my ej8 d16 has no lsd and i smoke both tires...
Old 12-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there should be a label on the tranny look at that y21 i know is lsd, i think there might be others but i cant think of the numbers right away, there is also a stamping on it, find it and type it in google and it should give you an answer.

Quick Reply: 1992 Civic SiRII..LSD or no LSD that is the question