Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1992 Civic Hatchback Rear Compartment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1992 Civic Hatchback Rear Compartment Questions

Hello all,

I recently got a 1992 Canadian DX hatchback and I was wondering if there should be a light anywhere in the rear compartment. There looks to be a pre-traced section for a cut-out/pop-out on the rear driver side interior plastic, just behind the rear seat. I will be installing a rear light and I want the easiest/stock-friendly solution.

Second question, what are the pre-traced sections on the actual tailgate plastic? These run the length of the plastic from driverside to passenger.

Third and final question, are there rear speaker equipped hatchbacks or is that something I would have to do myself if I really wanted them? Searching has brought up the optional Gathers rear speakers but those are out of the question at this point.

TL;DR 1. Rear interior light location? 2. Tailgate plastic cut outs are for what? 3. Rear speakers, OEM option?

I will post pictures later but if you have a hatch it should be readily noticeable as to what I am talking about. Thanks
Old 03-13-2015, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1992 Civic Hatchback Rear Compartment Questions

Anyone with a hatchback civic on honda-tech? Or is it all gdd
Old 03-13-2015, 07:31 PM
Needs to be About 20% Cooler

next time do a search or read the FAQ

taken directly form the FAQ:
Trunk Light assembly: located in the trunk on the rear driver's side quarter panel on an Si.
Honda p/n 34260-SH3-004. It is also available from numerous different models and years of 1990-2006 Civic, CRX & Insight, and 1994-2001 Acura Integra.
It just pries out. Get the pigtail harness. Can use a pigtail for a Civic rear speaker connector, if necessary.
Must have the switch to turn on/off, so a light from a 92-95 sedan is not correct.
Online is also a good place to find the trunk light, if you do not have an Si model in your local salvage yard.

second question, if your talking about the slightly oval dotted lines below the lower opening hatch: those you remove and put in bolts for the child restraint hooks.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks, I looked through FAQ but must have missed it.

I'd like to have the switch for the light be the tailgate open switch, which with a relay should be simple enough.

I guess the child restraint makes sense. I've never installed a child seat so that could be why I didnt think of that.

Thanks again
Old 03-13-2015, 10:55 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

From deschlongs purging parts thread:

92-95 Civic EG/EH

Then there is this thread where I posted the measurements of the stock brackets so someone else could fab their own brackets.

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...et-eg-3197080/

What you will be missing with fabricating your own is the grills that replace the plastic inserts on each side of the rear seat of the hatchback.

deschlong's kits have both the brackets and the speaker grill inserts as far as I know.