Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:39 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power?

Ok,

So I desperately need to quiet my exhaust down. Right now I have a Tanabe Super Racing Medallion with the 14'' resonator it comes with. I also have a magnaflow muffler but after looking at it, I won't be able to get it to fit in the muffler position without it sticking out waaay to much.

So here's the plan.

Header -> 14'' Resonator -> Magnaflow muffler -> Tanabe Muffler

I can get the magnaflow to fit underneath the car without sacrificing clearance (I think)

Will using 2 mufflers kill power?

Either way, I'm doing somehting tonight.

Let me know ASAP

-box
Old 09-14-2005, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power? (litterbox)

i'd just get two resonators and use the magnaflow as your muffler. that should quiet it down a good deal

BUT as long as the mufflers are straight through, i wouldn't imagine it stealing TOO much power...
Old 09-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power? (vsm98civic)

Ditch the Tanabe Muffler and use the magnaflow. I loved the sound when i used to drive. Magnaflow muffler and 3inch high flow cat = sexy

But to answer your question it will give you alot of back pressure which is good for NA cars, that yours is. If it was turbo i wouldnt do it.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:15 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But to answer your question it will give you alot of back pressure which is good for NA cars, that yours is. If it was turbo i wouldnt do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Even though a 2.5'' already has the 2.4L tightly wound?

The magnaflow is straight through.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power? (litterbox)

Straight through like a fireball style? 2.5 should be fine for you If all of it is 2.5 back.

What else you could do is sell the magnaflow muffler and the res. and get a nice 22inch magnaflow res. and be set.

I love the sound of magnaflow thats why i kep saying them. Everything else sounds like *** to me.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:40 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power? (Luserkid)

Ya, ideally I'd get a long resonator and just use one muffler but this is something that I wanna take care of tonight so I need to work with what I've got now.

I'm gonna run 2 mufflers and see how it sounds/looks.

...welding...LOL
Old 09-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Me Gusta History

Since you have the K and that's where I'm going, i'll tell you waht I was going to do, maybe you can shoot some holes in my theory and we can both learn something (i'm assuming youre litterbox from k20a.org)

I have an 18" Volt Arvin resonator (http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...T_ID=SUP200333 for 40 shipped)

And I was going to put taht and a flat black Vibrant muffler on 2.5" stainless piping, and retain the cat converter.

The longer resonator, and retaining the cat, should cut down a lot of raspy.

Did you strip out sound deadining or remove the cat?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:47 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power? (accordselux)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since you have the K and that's where I'm going, i'll tell you waht I was going to do, maybe you can shoot some holes in my theory and we can both learn something (i'm assuming youre litterbox from k20a.org)

I have an 18" Volt Arvin resonator (http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...T_ID=SUP200333 for 40 shipped)

And I was going to put taht and a flat black Vibrant muffler on 2.5" stainless piping, and retain the cat converter.

The longer resonator, and retaining the cat, should cut down a lot of raspy.

Did you strip out sound deadining or remove the cat?</TD></TR></TABLE>That sounds like a good plan. If you have a cat, resonator and muffler you should be decently quiet. Go with at least 2.5'' piping. Many ppl go with 3'' right off the bat so they dont' need to upgrade later on when they bump their power.

There's another litterbox on k20a???

Well, I got my **** done, but it's soo nasty that I'm embarrased to post pics.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Well, I got my **** done, but it's soo nasty that I'm embarrased to post pics. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Now you have to post pics.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:20 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Ok,

This is what I had to work with. It's some of my old exhaust (2.36'') and some random piping that's in progress (2.5''):

Here's the magnaflow muffler and resonator welded together:

Ok, in order to clear the karcepts kit (the metal piece pictured that protects the shifter box) you must lower the exhast about 2'' because of my header position.

So here is the bend in the piping:

With the flange:

As far as I got tonight:

This was my 2nd time welding.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Me Gusta History

Looks pretty nice, but I thought resonators were farther up the piping...at least that's how it is on my Apex'i WS

Old 09-14-2005, 11:54 PM

i have 2.5 inch str8 pipe with a 3 in. resonator( not sure how long it is..possibly 14 inch) and a magnaflow and it sounds great. its not loud at lower rpms but at WOT it screams. it sounds really deep too. this is on my hatch with an b16/gsr head with ctr o/s pistons so im suprised it is actually deep. and it doesnt look like anything special so i dont attract any negative attention (5-0's).
Old 09-15-2005, 02:08 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power? (accordselux)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks pretty nice, but I thought resonators were farther up the piping...at least that's how it is on my Apex'i WS</TD></TR></TABLE>Well don't compare ths piece of crap to anything but see the bend at the far end, that connects to the header, so the resonator is as far up as possible without running into clearance issues with the karcepts kit.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:13 AM
Me Gusta History

I get it, i'm looking at it *** backwards and I thought you had muffler and resonator at the END, but you're putting ANOTHER one after THAT ok.

I have no idea why that wouldnt shut the godamned thing up...how bulky is the karcepts shifter kit that it requires everything to be moved?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:17 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I get it, i'm looking at it *** backwards and I thought you had muffler and resonator at the END, but you're putting ANOTHER one after THAT ok.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, two mufflers, lol.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have no idea why that wouldnt shut the godamned thing up...how bulky is the karcepts shifter kit that it requires everything to be moved?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you might be a little confused. With the karcepts kit, the shifterbox itself is mounted underneath the car in the well, for the simple reason of retaining an OEM shifter look. The karcepts plate itself goes under the shifter box to seal it up and protect it from the elements. there is no way around lowering the exhaust, it must be done. I'd say the karcepts kit is about 3'' deep in the well, but I'm guessing.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:20 AM
Me Gusta History

Got it
Old 09-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats not bad at all. Just hit a wire brush to get all that crap around your welds off. But it doesnt look bad. Sound clips?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, This was my 2nd time welding.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looks pretty crappy.

If the guy that welded my exhaust did that kind of job on mine, I would be 18435789x happier. You wanna come fix mine?

Looks like the TSX/eg is coming together pretty well! Keep up the good work!

-Shane
Old 09-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power? (nighttrain33)

The welds aren't too bad for a welding noob.

My hats off to you for doing it yourself.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:54 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power? (Ricey McRicerton)

Thanks for the kind words!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the guy that welded my exhaust did that kind of job on mine, I would be 18435789x happier.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What happened with yours?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:23 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Installed it on car. Fit perfectly, no leaks, it's just too low. The muffler is 5'' thick and my exhaust is already lower than stock to clear the shifter so the muffler is about 2'' off the ground. Unacceptable. I scraped on my driveway.

So now that I have some time, I'm going to hit up kteller.com.

Oh well, I tried.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Installed it on car. Fit perfectly, no leaks, it's just too low. The muffler is 5'' thick and my exhaust is already lower than stock to clear the shifter so the muffler is about 2'' off the ground. Unacceptable. I scraped on my driveway.

So now that I have some time, I'm going to hit up kteller.com.

Oh well, I tried.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pics and sound clips!! lol
Old 09-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey if anyone is selling a 2" inlet/outlet resonator I WANT IT! let me know

if you need a 2.5" magnaflow straight through, i'm selling... or i can trade the muffler for a resonator
Old 09-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power? (Civic4less)

lucky you i want mine loud and cant , the only thing i got on mine is a knock off of that same exaust i got from ebay for 60 bux including shipping, and its not loud at all, i dont have a resonator just strait trough 2 1/4 exaust, if i want it loud i got to full my exaust with water and goes loud for about 2 hours, but i got a d16
Old 09-16-2005, 02:24 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: 1 Muffler + Another Muffler + 14'' Resonator = Kill Power? (miguel6632)

That's a little different.