Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 Civic Si - knocking/pinging noise when accelerating...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Civic Si - knocking/pinging noise when accelerating...

What do you guys thing this is? When I'm accelerating - its worst in 2nd and 3rd gears - usually I will hear a sort of pinging or knocking noise while I'm at mid-range RPMs. Some have suggested valve adjustments are needed, my mechanic listened to it and didn't know what it was, he thought maybe blowback from intake valves. Also, sometimes at HIGH rpms in 3rd-5th gears after v-tech kicks in, I have more noise - this time more of a knocking rather than a pinging, like someone tapping on the engine using a bigger hammer or something. Any suggestions? I've got an appointment with the mechanic next tuesday but he's not a Honda guy so I'm not too sure how easily he'll diagnose this and I'd like to give him a little bit of direction if I could.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 Civic Si - knocking/pinging noise when accelerating... (mcastleberg)

Sounds like detonation, especially the first description at lower RPM's. Have you been adjusting your timing at all? Have you checked your timing? That's what it sounds like to me.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well im not expert but doesnt a knocking/pinging in higher rpms the first sign of a bad bearing?

my guess is a bad bearing, or a valve adjustment. But usually if u need a valve adjustment it "ticks" and usually only in lower rpms...

how many miles on the engine? completely stock? Can you localize the sound to a certain area? like is it coming from the head or from the oil pan area?

*edit*; yeah it could be detonation too, didnt even think of that
Old 12-15-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: 00 Civic Si - knocking/pinging noise when accelerating... (******)

I haven't touched anything since I bought it about 5 months ago. So is this something I can kind of check out myself?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

111,000 miles on the engine, i haven't done anything to it but the previous owner had a full stainless steel exhaust put on and a cold air intake. the sound seems to be coming from up front under the hood and seems to be more on the passenger side.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you have no mods done to it at all? Hm if there are NO MODS i think that may rule detonation out (i think)

so when your looking at the engine with it idling- does the sound come from the ENGINE or from the TRANNY? since u said it sounded like it was on the pass. side...
Old 12-15-2005, 01:10 PM

ok whats detonation?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:11 PM

the sound does NOT happen at idle...all i hear at idle is my belt squealing a bit...gotta get that replaced.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the end-gas (remaining fuel/air mixture) in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn. For some reason, likely heat and pressure, the end gas in the chamber spontaneously combusts. The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.
------

hm doesnt happen at idle? Eh my guess is a bad bearing....

please note this is a guess, and im not a mechanic. But I do all my own work on my built boosted b17....
Old 12-15-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What fuel you runnin? 87,89,91, or possibly 93?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: (4door_demon)

usually i run the higher stuff, but there have been occasions when i've run 87 in it...like when gas was $3+ after katrina
Old 12-15-2005, 01:30 PM

it will det on poor grade fuel
Old 12-15-2005, 03:48 PM
R.I.P.

Default Re: (4door_demon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4door_demon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What fuel you runnin? 87,89,91, or possibly 93?</TD></TR></TABLE>bingo, it says premium gas only for a reason right?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:38 PM
Banned

Default Re: (pimpinblackcivic)

Modified by CardDealer at 3:04 PM 11/16/2006
Old 12-15-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: (schlit)

Yes the noise goes away, it only happens when the engine is under load. If I put it in neutral and hit the gas it sounds fine...good in fact.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: (mcastleberg)

goo post
Old 12-15-2005, 09:07 PM

same problem here. does anyone have another explanation for this? what can be done to fix this problem?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine blew up because of this problem... so good luck solving it
Old 12-16-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Re: (exclusive_vtec)

Well that sounds pretty f@#$ing terrible. Somebody please help me get to the bottom of this. I'm about to install a turbo on this thing but I definitely want to have this problem taken care of first.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (exclusive_vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by exclusive_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine blew up because of this problem... so good luck solving it </TD></TR></TABLE>

im going to stick with a bearing about to fail....
Old 12-16-2005, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im going to stick with a bearing about to fail....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Detonation and bearing failure have two completely different sounds to them. Bearing failure would be more of a dull type sounds. Detonation is more of a higher pitched sound. Without hearing the sound, its hard to determine what the problem is. Since this guy obviously isn't a mechanic, and the one he is usuing clearly isn't that experienced, I would say he first needs to find a competant mechanic to get this problem correctly diagnosed. Relying on an internet information board that is already so clogged with false information wouldn't be a good choice. There has to be someone in his area who can properly diagnose the issue.

Here is some info on detonation for you also... but with what you have listed, I dont' think this is your problem.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Ser...n.htm

Its not "blowback from the intake valves"... This guy really doesn't sound like he shoudl be wrenching on cars.. lol.. Its called reversion and it occurs with high duration camshafts. A stock cammed B16 certainly isn't going to have any excessive problems with reversion, believe me.

If it was the valves, the problem would be constant, and not load dependant. The valvetrain would be noisy at idle as well.

Perhaps the car has a chipped ECU? A **** poor program could have timing rediculously advanced and thus be causing knock? Or perhaps the knock board is disabled and you have some crappy fuel in there? You running a stock ECU?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

93 Civic EX Coupe built b17-T(sleeper)
^ 200whp/146lbs/ft @ 9psi with a dead ignitor+boost leak+HG leak</TD></TR></TABLE>

Might want to fix your signature also to drop the lame excuses. If the ignitor was "dead", your car wouldn't be running at all. PERIOD.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:00 AM

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

If the ECU isn't stock that would be news to me. I haven't done anything to it and the previous owner mentioned nothing about chipping it. I guess what I'm going to do is take the car downtown to the HONDA dealership and get it diagnosed and then see if its something I can take to the $30/hr mechanic locally or leave it with the $60 Honda mechanic.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Might want to fix your signature also to drop the lame excuses. If the ignitor was "dead", your car wouldn't be running at all. PERIOD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

? hey **** maybe you should research before you talk. A dying ignitor/dizzy will cause spark breakup in the higher rpms and bucking- which is what was happening.

air was leaking past my copper HG pressurizing the coolant, shooting coolant out the resevoir, so there was a headgasket leak

there was a boost leak at the coupler right before the IC.

props to steve sakai to tuning down as well as he did given the conditions.

damn e thugs

sorry my real excuses are too lame for you, ill have to think up some good ones like "there was a duck in cylinder 1" and a "small squirrel chewed through my dizzy cables"

are those excuses lame enough for you? loser.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Detonation and bearing failure have two completely different sounds to them. Bearing failure would be more of a dull type sounds. Detonation is more of a higher pitched sound. Without hearing the sound, its hard to determine what the problem is. Since this guy obviously isn't a mechanic, and the one he is usuing clearly isn't that experienced, I would say he first needs to find a competant mechanic to get this problem correctly diagnosed. Relying on an internet information board that is already so clogged with false information wouldn't be a good choice. There has to be someone in his area who can properly diagnose the issue.

Here is some info on detonation for you also... but with what you have listed, I dont' think this is your problem.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Ser...n.htm

Its not "blowback from the intake valves"... This guy really doesn't sound like he shoudl be wrenching on cars.. lol.. Its called reversion and it occurs with high duration camshafts. A stock cammed B16 certainly isn't going to have any excessive problems with reversion, believe me.

If it was the valves, the problem would be constant, and not load dependant. The valvetrain would be noisy at idle as well.

Perhaps the car has a chipped ECU? A **** poor program could have timing rediculously advanced and thus be causing knock? Or perhaps the knock board is disabled and you have some crappy fuel in there? You running a stock ECU?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hes running a stock ecu. So basically your response helps how? By telling him to find someone in his area to get help? I have found plenty of useful info on this board, although there is some bullshit there is truth as well.

Wow man- yeah anyone can say "take it to a mechanic". And nothin assures that the mechanic he takes it to will know **** about the problem neway.

And btw where the expletive do you get off criticizing my situation? Becuase I tried to help him and had problem with my first dyno session ever running an engine that hadnt been run to redline in 3 years and i put that info in my sig?? tool.

Quick Reply: 00 Civic Si - knocking/pinging noise when accelerating...