Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 Civic ex windows are struggling...suggestions..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Civic ex windows are struggling...suggestions..?

Hey guys. I got a 00 ex coupe and both driver and passenger windows are really struggling. My driver side got stuck ealier and would not go up. I had to push the window a little bit and eventually it moved all the way up. I've noticed when it rains they get MUCH worse. Do you think my tracks are really dry or the motors are shot on both of them. Are power motors an expensive fix. Thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 08-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 Civic ex windows are struggling...suggestions..? (mikeunreal2)

Try spraying Silicone Spray onto the window tracks and roll the windows up and down to spread it out a bit. This would be your first and cheapest option. Try it! My windows used to fall off its track, then I'd have to take off my door panel and put it back in track . I had the same problem (same car) and the Silicone Spray worked great.

BTW... DO NOT USE WD-40!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 Civic ex windows are struggling...suggestions..? (00ekcoupe)

Whats wd40 do..?? lol
Old 08-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A lot of people make the mistake thinking it would work, but it doesn't.
Sorry for the huge pic!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:25 PM

Everything you need to know is right here:

http://autorepair.about.com/li...d.htm

In case the link goes away, I'll copy and paste the basics:

"Honda Civic Window Pops Out

CORRECTIVE ACTION:
1996 and 1997 models thru the affected VINs:

Replace the window regulator, and reinstall the glass run channel. Replace the glass run channel if it is
damaged.

1997 models after the affected VINs, all 1998-99 models, and 2000 models thru the affected VINs:

Reinstall the glass run channel. Replace the glass run channel if it is damaged.

PARTS INFORMATION:
Left Power Window Regulator/N 04725-S00-A01
Left Manual Window Regulator/N 72250-S00-003
Left Glass Run Channel/N 72275-S03-G01
Right Power Window Regulator/N 04720-S00-A01
Right Manual Window Regulator/N 72210-S00-003
Right Glass Run Channel/N 72235-S03-G01

REQUIRED MATERIALS:
Plastic Cover Adhesive: P/N 08712-0003
REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Remove the door panel. Refer to section 20 of the 1996-00 Civic Service Manual.

2. Remove the armrest bracket, then pull down the plastic cover to gain access to the window regulator.

3. Carefully move the glass until you can see the glass mounting bolts, then loosen them. Slide the guide rearward, remove the glass from the guide, and carefully pull the glass out through the window slot.

4. Check the year and VIN.

* If the vehicle is a 1996 or 1997 within the affected VIN range, replace the window regulator. Go to step 5.
* If the vehicle is not a 1996 or 1997 within the affected VIN range, go to step 8.

5. Remove the two roller guide bolts and the two rear regulator mounting bolts; then remove the front regulator mounting bolts.

6. Disconnect the power window motor connector, and detach the harness clip (if applicable); then lift and remove the regulator through the opening in the door.

7. Install the new regulator in the door, then loosely install the two rear mounting bolts and the two roller guide bolts. Do not tighten the two front mounting bolts yet. Go to step 9.

8. Loosen the window regulator's two rear mounting bolts, two front mounting bolts, and two roller guide bolts.

9. Inspect the glass run channel:

* If the run channel is not sitting in the window channels properly, reinstall it.
* If the run channel is damaged, replace it. Refer to section 20 of the appropriate service manual.
* If the run channel is sitting in the window channels properly, go to step 10.

NOTE: If the run channel is sitting in the window channels properly and the window regulator was not replaced, disregard this service bulletin and follow normal troubleshooting procedures.

10. Reinstall the glass in the door, but do not tighten the glass mounting bolts. Reconnect the power window motor connector, and temporarily reconnect the window switch (if applicable). Raise the window about 100 mm (4.0 in.) from the fully lowered position.

11. Push the glass toward the rear of the door, and have an assistant tighten the two glass mounting bolts, the four regulator mounting bolts, and the two roller guide bolts.

12. Loosen the front channel mounting bolt and nut. Push the front channel toward the glass, and tighten the mounting bolt and nut.

13. Check the window for smooth operation, and check for gaps between the glass and the run channel with the window all the way up.

* If the window does not operate smoothly, or if you see gaps between the run channel and the window, loosen all the mounting bolts, and repeat steps 10 through 12.
* If the window operates smoothly and you see no gaps between the run channel and the window, reinstall the plastic cover, the armrest bracket, and the door panel.

Additional Information provided courtesy of ALLDATA
"

I went the cheap way by buying a can of "silicone lubricant" from our local auto parts store, rolling both windows all the way down, and spraying the tracks (front and back) with it. This made the windows much easier to roll up and down but didn't fix it 100%.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 PM

like 00ekcoupe said...use silicone spray. but before you use the silicone spray

1. take the door panel off so you can access the entire window track.

2. grab a large flathead screwdriver and put a rag over the tip.

3. spray electronics cleaner (or some other non residue degreaser) on the inside of the track.

4. use the rag/screwdriver to wipe the track out. the track should be nice and clean.

5. spray a light coat of silicone spray inside the track.

6. work the window up and down...should be as smooth as my girl's *** .

if you feel like it...you can also take the window out completely and thouroughly clean the edges.