Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[Won't Start] EJ1 D16Y7+Z6 Head

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Won't Start] EJ1 D16Y7+Z6 Head

Car was running fine but when I stalled a few days after Oil Change at JiffyLube, it stopped starting.

It had a problem before, for some reason a fuse kept blowing but whenever I replaced it the car would start. Not really sure which one it was because I didn't have my diagram and just checked all my fuses.
But this time when I replaced the blown fuse, it didn't start.

Key turns and clicks, can hear fuel pumping, engine cranks too.

I've checked spark plugs, battery, main relay, timing belt, ignition, distributor's cap for oil (there was none. it was clean). Check under valve cover to see if everything was fine too.

Also tried to bump start it, almost sounded like it wanted to go but didn't. So that means it can't be the starter.

But I just now checked the oil level, and its over filled by like an inch on the stick.

Could this be whats causing the car not to start? I only drove it around for less than 5 miles after the oil change.

Planning on draining the oil tomorrow and refilling it up to the right level, not sure if there's anything else I should do before I try starting the car again? Trying to reduce the possible damage...

Here's a video of the car trying to start:

Been searching everywhere on Google and forums for possible answers but can't find none. You guys seem to be the most reputable and trustworthy source. So yeah, please help me

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kyrus; 08-31-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:23 PM
Dur Da Dur

Default Re: [Won't Start] EJ1 D16Y7+Z6 Head

bring jiffylube to court for overfilling your oil. Sue them for an estimate value for fixing your car.

Check for spark on the plugs with a sparkplug tester. Crank it for a minute first, see if it smells like gasoline when you pull the plug out.

check the voltage at the starter with one end of the multimeter on the battery, do both positive and negative. Let me know if voltage drops more than 0.5v
Old 08-31-2016, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondur
bring jiffylube to court for overfilling your oil. Sue them for an estimate value for fixing your car.

Check for spark on the plugs with a sparkplug tester. Crank it for a minute first, see if it smells like gasoline when you pull the plug out.

check the voltage at the starter with one end of the multimeter on the battery, do both positive and negative. Let me know if voltage drops more than 0.5v
I should've checked the oil level right then and there...

I left my car sitting in my yard for about 2 months after it stopped starting, I highly doubt Jiffylube will give a **** even with my receipt and other paperwork they gave me.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:44 PM
Dur Da Dur

Originally Posted by Kyrus
I should've checked the oil level right then and there...

I left my car sitting in my yard for about 2 months after it stopped starting, I highly doubt Jiffylube will give a **** even with my receipt and other paperwork they gave me.
A judge might tho. Hell, judges care that car parts stores don't change their labels every time corporate updates the pricing in the POS.

You can visually inspect **** all you want, but it's not enough. If you don't wanna get a spark plug tester, i can't imagine why since they're like $10, you could ground the each plug against the valve cover to check for spark. look it up on youtube or something
Old 08-31-2016, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A judge might tho. Hell, judges care that car parts stores don't change their labels every time corporate updates the pricing in the POS.

You can visually inspect **** all you want, but it's not enough. If you don't wanna get a spark plug tester, i can't imagine why since they're like $10, you could ground the each plug against the valve cover to check for spark. look it up on youtube or something
Yeah thats how I checked the spark plugs, I've said I already checked them.

Used a screwdriver close to a ground to check for spark.

Also the thing is, I got the car from someone who built it himself like from a shell. I would have to involve contacting him (as a possible witness) and **** if they were to try to accuse me while defending their own case saying similar **** like I changed the oil myself after they changed it or something. Or that I added more oil.

Idk. But these seem like reasonable counter-arguments to my own case
Old 08-31-2016, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I'm not very wealthy. Just barely scraping by every month, so I'd rather not get any legal action involved.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:56 PM
Dur Da Dur

Also, I'm not very wealthy. Just barely scraping by every month, so I'd rather not get any legal action involved.
I hear ya, it's not worth it to miss work for court that may not pay off if it means that you're eating ramen instead of a decent meal.

did you check compression? If you've got spark and fuel and compression it's gotta be some bullshit wiring crap and then you're stuck checking if all the voltages are within range and i'd wanna shoot myself tbh.

Is there a CEL on? I don't think 5th gens have anything in the way of security systems lol
Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hear ya, it's not worth it to miss work for court that may not pay off if it means that you're eating ramen instead of a decent meal.

did you check compression? If you've got spark and fuel and compression it's gotta be some bullshit wiring crap and then you're stuck checking if all the voltages are within range and i'd wanna shoot myself tbh.
Haven't not checked voltages or compression yet.

Might have to rent one of those things you use to test compressions... sigh... more money flying away.

But should I drain the excess oil out first or what.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:33 PM
Dur Da Dur

Haven't not checked voltages or compression yet.

Might have to rent one of those things you use to test compressions... sigh... more money flying away.

But should I drain the excess oil out first or what.
You should get one of those thin little hand pumps from wally world and pump it out thru the dip stick tube. It can't hurt.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most likely the problem lays in the fuse that keeps blowing, especially when you replace it and the car does not start.

Find a diagram but the number of the fuse should be right on it give us that number.

Any cels? I wouldn't worry about the oil.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:34 AM
Dur Da Dur

Originally Posted by White_EG1
Most likely the problem lays in the fuse that keeps blowing, especially when you replace it and the car does not start.

Find a diagram but the number of the fuse should be right on it give us that number.

Any cels? I wouldn't worry about the oil.

There you go OP now you've got the fuses listed.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Moment captured by a muthafucking potato
Old 09-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There you go OP now you've got the fuses listed.
Thanks dude!!

I also tried googling to find the fuses however most of them don't even match...like there's a lot of 10s where it should be 20 and etc.

Could the previous owner have customized the fuses into different places?

Old 09-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by White_EG1
This^

Figure out what fuse was blowing. You'll find useful hood and dash fuse box diagrams for your 92-95 Civic in the FAQs sticky.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
This^

Figure out what fuse was blowing. You'll find useful hood and dash fuse box diagrams for your 92-95 Civic in the FAQs sticky.
Yeah but when I did... tons of the fuses were in the wrong place. Or maybe they're not wrong and just customized? Like a 10 amp would be in a 30. A 30 be in a 5. Nothing in where its suppose to be for the sunroof but the sunroof works... etc.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:39 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, that sounds like you're reading the chart wrong.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah but when I did... tons of the fuses were in the wrong place. Or maybe they're not wrong and just customized? Like a 10 amp would be in a 30. A 30 be in a 5. Nothing in where its suppose to be for the sunroof but the sunroof works... etc.
Locate the fuse box diagrams in the FAQs sticky. Use the information to sort out the "mixed up fuses". However, it's just a side issue.

The main question is what fuse was blowing? If you want help, answer this key question.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:19 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Save everyone the headache.

Take a picture of the fuse that keeps blowing and post it.