Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[honda gurus wanted] a wide range of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default [honda gurus wanted] a wide range of questions...

hello guys,

i have run a search and found some topics related to what im about to ask, but nothing exactly directed to my questions. (1996 honda civic ex)

1. paint on the hood.
is there anything i can do about that? its like all over the front of the hood?

2. spedometer isnt really responsive. it kinda jumps around, its not accurate at all. is this a common problem? or is there a fix for it?

3. audio: if i want to get an aftermarket headunit, i understand that i have to keep the stock one because of the keyless entry that is built into the headunit. there are spliced wiring harnesses i can get on crutchfield... my question, i have a headunit on the top, and the cd changer on the bottom.

4. i would really like to get some other wheels, the aftermarket american racing wheels dont quite tickle my fancy. where can i get some cheap wheels + tires for under $500? i do like rotas, but they are somewhat expensive.

5. is there anything else you guys think i should know? (besides reading all the stickies, which im halfway thru) anything i should be aware of?

thanks a million

Old 06-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: [honda gurus wanted] a wide range of questions... (ekcivic9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hello guys,

i have run a search and found some topics related to what im about to ask, but nothing exactly directed to my questions. (1996 honda civic ex)

1. paint on the hood.

2. spedometer isnt really responsive. it kinda jumps around, its not accurate at all. is this a common problem? or is there a fix for it?

3. audio: if i want to get an aftermarket headunit, i understand that i have to keep the stock one because of the keyless entry that is built into the headunit. there are spliced wiring harnesses i can get on crutchfield... my question, i have a headunit on the top, and the cd changer on the bottom.

4. i would really like to get some other wheels, the aftermarket american racing wheels dont quite tickle my fancy. where can i get some cheap wheels + tires for under $500? i do like rotas, but they are somewhat expensive.

5. is there anything else you guys think i should know? (besides reading all the stickies, which im halfway thru) anything i should be aware of?

thanks a million

</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. I have seen this even on EK's. It was also on the hood, which makes me to believe that either heat, flex, or mother nature is the problem. It's like the paint has fiberglass peices sprinkled all over the hood. I would have to say to either take it to a body shop and see what they can do or cut polish it and see if it comes out. I think it is more likley a factory paint defect and to do it right, you would need to repaint it. You might want to go with a carbon fiber hood as a new hood and paint job will be more than a brand new CF hood (atleast it was for me here in Canada).

2. It seems to be a fairly common problem. I would replace the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and it should go away. If not pull the speedo and check the coil and if still nothing take it to Honda and they can test and recalibrate it. &lt;-- I had this done with mine.

3. I would have to say that the stock alarm sucks *** and in the end you would be better off with an aftermarket one with keyless entry. I did this and a good compustar alarm with everything (keyless entry, tilt sensor, LCD glow pager, hatch release, etc.) was well worth it and was a very nice upgrade. If you do this then you can put and wire what ever headunit you want. Also it allows you to wire everything the way you want it and where you want it. Leave the head unit in the dash and hide the cd changer. My friend put his cd changer in the dash (glovebox) and it was gone in a week. My cd changer is tucked away where I only know it is.

4. http://onlinetires.com/main.html
For rims I would say ebay or google it.

5. Only extra thing you should know, is that when buying mods (for the most part) you get what you paid for.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [honda gurus wanted] a wide range of questions... (ekcivic9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hello guys,

1. paint on the hood.

thanks a million

</TD></TR></TABLE>

2. Could be the VSS, i'm not sure though.

3. I thought i read someplace that you can stash your stock cd player down and inside of the climate control frame and leave part of it plugged in so your keyless entry works, and have your aftermarket cd player mounted in its place.

4. As soon as you become a non-trial member, check the classifieds. There are some pretty good deals in there, and most people on HT are very legit sellers.

5. Your off to a great start. To bad most people skip over the stickies at the top.

however, to you. Hope this helped.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess i can bear with the hood, i dont really have the cash right now to fix it up.

the tint i have is turning purple and its kinda pissing me off, but that isnt really at the top of my list.

as for the alarm, i think ill just hide the stock one somewhere and get a splice.

the main thing i wanna do is get rid of these wheels cause they are really bad. anyhow, guys dont get me wrong, im not here to ask which body kit to buy or which big *** exhaust i should put on. im trying to go for a decent clean look.

thanks for the replies.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

Um, my 1997 Civic EX has factory keyless entry that still works but I have an aftermarket headunit... so my OEM player is hidden somewhere??? Not trying to jack your post...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jorsher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jorsher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Um, my 1997 Civic EX has factory keyless entry that still works but I have an aftermarket headunit... so my OEM player is hidden somewhere??? Not trying to jack your post...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess i can bear with the hood, i dont really have the cash right now to fix it up.

the tint i have is turning purple and its kinda pissing me off, but that isnt really at the top of my list.

as for the alarm, i think ill just hide the stock one somewhere and get a splice.

the main thing i wanna do is get rid of these wheels cause they are really bad. anyhow, guys dont get me wrong, im not here to ask which body kit to buy or which big *** exhaust i should put on. im trying to go for a decent clean look.

thanks for the replies.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ouch on the purple tint....j/k You should look into getting some HX's for your civic. They are only 14in. (I think) but they look nice if painted right. They are cheap, lightweight, and look good and are wallet friendly. You can slap on a pretty good tire and being 14in. they will be cheaper too. This would prolly be your best beat if strapped for cash and need to get rid of some fugly rims. Heres a link to some HX's: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1259058

I personally like polished Hx's on all colored civic's.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dang bond... those look kinda like ce28s... do u know where i can buy them?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh guys.. one more thing... the area where the window and the door meets... the paint is fading to like chromish... can i spray a flat black over it to try it get it back to original?

ill take some pics later to clarify what im saying

----

also is there a pic by pic guide anywhere on how i can drop my car w/ springs? i saw aw coil cover guide in the suspension forums tho
Old 06-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh guys.. one more thing... the area where the window and the door meets... the paint is fading to like chromish... can i spray a flat black over it to try it get it back to original?

ill take some pics later to clarify what im saying

----

also is there a pic by pic guide anywhere on how i can drop my car w/ springs? i saw aw coil cover guide in the suspension forums tho</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am not really sure where you are talking about, but post a pic and we can help you out.

You should try to search for car lowering how-to's. Putting in coilovers is basically the same procedure exept you can't adjust the spring's hieght later. The process is the same: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1078663 Follow this how-to and you'll be fine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dang bond... those look kinda like ce28s... do u know where i can buy them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can search the classified section for fellow H-T members selling them or if you want a brand new set (going to cost more) from Honda. Your best bet is to look for people selling them here on H-T. I just noticed your still a trial member, so keep posting and in no time you will be able to post a "WTB clean HX rims" thread in the classifieds.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: (Bond)

where u located im selling my rims
Old 06-22-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: (northkai3)

18" gt sport icw rims with potenza tires
Old 06-22-2005, 12:21 PM

for the scrathes asn swirls cut and buff and polih it itll take all that away and make it beautiful goto a auto body supply store and tell them your problem they can assort you with all their knowledge and help you what to get and stuff and tell them your price range too! hopefully that helps i have the same problem with my VSS i probbaly have to buy a new one cause mine doesnt even move.