Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (keithv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keithv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also, make sure the tranny shifts into ALL gears before you put it back in the car!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Listen to him! I just got the new Si tranny into the CRX on Sunday, and it won't go into 3rd or 4th. Any ideas on what I should look for when I drop the tranny back out and pull it apart. I never dissassembled the countershaft, but I had the mainshaft apart to replace some syncros.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing (BauleyCivic)

super duper right up!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing (buzlink)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by buzlink &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think thats what wrong with mine.
Mine in 1st makes a really bad wirring noice, and sometimes in second. Push in the clutch and it goes away.
Its been making this horrible noise for about a month now.

What happens when that bearing breaks or goes out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This:

The ISB will get chewed up and thrown all over the tranny...destroying it and locking it up. Tom said he drove around for a few months on a bad one and he was locked out of gears.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing (BauleyCivic)

Sounds like I better get it fixed soon.
Anything I can do, not to make things worse before I get it fixed?
Old 10-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing (buzlink)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by buzlink &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like I better get it fixed soon.
Anything I can do, not to make things worse before I get it fixed?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not drive your car. If you have the problem now, using the car more is only going to make your problems worse. What I would do if I were you is either try and replace the bearing yourself, or take it to someone and have them replace it real soon. Remember, some things end up fixing themselves...but bearings aren't one of those things. If you have the problem now, a week from now it will be worse...
Old 10-09-2003, 08:28 PM

nice write up
Old 10-21-2003, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing (T-RexAZ)

with this took me about a good hour or so not quite 2 hours to put back the b18c1 tranny with 3 people. well, having to torque the bolts took most of the time.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

excellent write up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

***saved*** GJ on the writeup
Old 12-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Risky Business

Default Re: DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing (AlphaQup)

Bump because several peeps have IMed me about this problem.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
IMPORTANT! Make sure you align the interlock guide bolt with the groove under the shift arm, I unfortunately did not the first time and bent the shift arm as you can see here (if you do this you will be locked out of 1st, 2nd, 5th, and reverse gears):

</TD></TR></TABLE>

from the picture.. i dont understand what the interlock guide bolt is or the groove under the shift arm. when i actually get in there soon, will it be common sense what they are and how to do it correctly?

or can you go into detail... please?? i really dont wanna mess up...

and how much is a new bearing? where do i get it? honda? thanks
Old 01-21-2004, 03:32 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing (lazynok)

I just rebuilt my LS tranny [all new bearings and seals] for around $350. The main shaft bearing was under $20 I think. I bought all my parts online from the places in my sig. I found that most everything inside the tranny was common sense once I opened it up. I tackled mine 100% by myself. Just remember to take it slow, and I took pictures of mine along the way in case I had a question as to where something went.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:16 PM

Default Re: DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing (DaX)

good write up
Old 01-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing (AlphaQup)

good write up ive always wondered on this and now i know for you
Old 01-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing (pr0ject Eg6)

glad I found this thread... Ive been driving with the same noise I thought was a throw-out bearing for over a year... I know for sure its bearings. Whats even better is I have an extra tranny and a helms. Now if I only had *****. ..
Old 01-29-2004, 11:01 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Just ******* do it. It's not that bad.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bump because several peeps have IMed me about this problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bauley why don't you get someone to sticky this.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just ******* do it. It's not that bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok.... now that youve put it that way...

Is there anyway to tell if my xtra tranny is good without opening it? (spinning input shaft) or should I just rebuild it anyways..... gonna be autocrossing alot and beating it up
Old 01-29-2004, 11:56 AM

*gumtape* who now has a sudden boost of confidence to do the same.. bookmarks into HOW-TO'S ...
Old 01-29-2004, 02:44 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SPORT INJECTION)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPORT INJECTION &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok.... now that youve put it that way...

Is there anyway to tell if my xtra tranny is good without opening it? (spinning input shaft) or should I just rebuild it anyways..... gonna be autocrossing alot and beating it up</TD></TR></TABLE>

What kind of transmission is it? Has it ever been rebuilt? How old is it? If it's old and hasn't been rebuilt, it's cheap insurance [roughly $350] to replace all the bearings and seals. While you're in there, why not consider an LSD? With a helm at your side, I promise it won't be that bad. Only real tool I had to invest in for the job was a pilot bearing puller...around $60 shipped.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:50 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pilot bearing puller?????

remove 6 bolts for the flywheel and pop it out for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 05:08 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mista Bone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pilot bearing puller?????

remove 6 bolts for the flywheel and pop it out for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not for that...for replacing the main shaft bearing. The tool is called a pilot bearing puller, or an inside jaw slide hammer bearing puller.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:11 AM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Not for that...for replacing the main shaft bearing. The tool is called a pilot bearing puller, or an inside jaw slide hammer bearing puller.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You dont even need it. For the ISB...you take a socket with extension and go in through the clutch side...put the stocket against the bearing...and tap with a hammer
Old 01-30-2004, 08:45 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't able to do that on my transmission. I considered using a screwdriver through the other side with a hammer, but then it probably would wedge the bearing in it's seat. Also, I replaced the countershaft bearing that is pressed into the clutch housing. No way to get to the back side of it.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:29 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a way, easy and cheap.

Drill!!!

I won't go into details, but I've never had to replace one yet.

Quick Reply: [FAQ] DIY How to: How to take off transmission and Inspect Input Shaft Bearing