Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Rear Quarter Trim Panels From An EH Hatch!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 02:56 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Rear Quarter Trim Panels From An EH Hatch!

First remove your backseat: Click Here.

Tools Required: 10mm. socket, 17mm. socket, standard phillips head screwdriver, bigger phillips head screwdriver, a ratchet, and one wide and one thin flathead screwdriver.

Total Time: ~ 1.5 Hours.

<FONT COLOR="red"><FONT SIZE="3">How-To Remove Right Rear Quarter Trim Panel:</FONT></FONT>

STEP 1: Remove the trim piece which is directly below the hatch gate. Gently & slowly pull the rear trim piece outwards. There are 2 clips located on the left and right side behind the trim piece.

Next, starting on the top of the trim piece, and working from the outer edge to the center... gently & slowly pull the trim piece upwards.

There are 4 clips on top holding the trim piece onto the chassis.

STEP 2: Remove all the bolts/screws that are holding in the right rear quarter panel.

#1: Use your "bigger phillips head screwdriver" and unscrew the plastic "L" shaped bracket from the rear quarter panel.

#2 & #3: Use your 10mm. socket & ratchet to remove these bolts from the rear quarter panel.

#4: Use your "standard phillips head screwdriver" to remove this plastic grommet from the rear quarter panel.

#5 & #6: Use your "standard phillips head screwdriver" to remove these plastic grommets from the rear quarter panel.

#7: Use your "standard phillips head screwdriver" to remove this screw from the rear quarter panel.

#8: Use your "wide flathead screwdriver" to pry out the speaker lid.

The screw is behind the speaker lid.

Use your "bigger phillips head screwdriver" and unscrew this screw from the rear quarter panel.

Next slip off the rubber seal from around the backseat striker. (Don't mind the screwdriver).

Use your 17mm. socket and ratchet to remove this seat belt anchor bolt from the chassis.

STEP 3: Starting from the front and moving your way to the back, pull off the right rear quarter trim panel. Take your time... I bent several clips by becoming inpatient and frustrated.

Slowly pull the rear quarter panel outwards from the door opening.

There are 3 clips on the inside of the rear quarter panel. They snap into the chassis, you can see there locations below.

From the back of the rear quarter panel, start to pull the panel outwards.

Below the rear pillar trim panel are 2 clips that are on the inside of the rear quarter panel. I found these to be the most stubborn and difficult clips to get out. Take it slow!

Here you can see where the 2 clips join into the rear pillar trim panel. Pull the rear quarter panel outwards.

Right rear quarter trim panel removed!

STEP 4: Remove the rear speaker bracket and the backseat striker.

#1, #2, and #3: Use your 10mm. socket & ratchet to remove these bolts from the chassis.

<FONT COLOR="red"><FONT SIZE="3">How-To Remove Left Rear Quarter Trim Panel:</FONT></FONT>

[STEP 1:[/b] Remove all the bolts/screws that are holding in the left rear quarter panel.

#1: Use your "bigger phillips head screwdriver" and unscrew the plastic "L" shaped bracket from the rear quarter panel.

#2: Use your 10mm. socket & ratchet to remove this bolt from the rear quarter panel.

#3: Use your "thin flathead screwdriver" to pry open this screw cover.

Use your "bigger phillips head screwdriver" and unscrew this screw from the rear quarter panel.

#4, #5, and #6: Use your "standard phillips head screwdriver" to remove these plastic grommets from the rear quarter panel.

#7: Use your "standard phillips head screwdriver" to remove this screw from the rear quarter panel.

#8: Use your "wide flathead screwdriver" to pry out the speaker lid.

Close-up pic.

Next slip off the rubber seal from around the backseat striker.

Use your 17mm. socket and ratchet to remove this seat belt anchor bolt from the chassis.

STEP 3: Starting from the front and moving your way to the back, pull off the left rear quarter trim panel. Take your time... I bent several clips by becoming inpatient and frustrated.

Slowly pull the rear quarter panel outwards from the door opening.

There are 3 clips on the inside of the rear quarter panel. They snap into the chassis, you can see there locations below.

Below the rear pillar trim panel are 2 clips that are on the inside of the rear quarter panel. I found these to be the most stubborn and difficult clips to get out. Take it slow!

Here you can see where the 2 clips join into the rear pillar trim panel. Pull the rear quarter panel outwards.

Close-up pic.

AFTER PICS:

WEIGHT SAVINGS:

Both rear quarter trim panels:

Weight: ~ 10 lbs.

TOTAL WEIGHT SAVINGS: ~ 10 lbs.

Conclusion: Yes i know most of you will think spending this much time to save only 10 lbs. isn't worth it, but i had nothing better to do, and i like working on my car, so... TO EACH HIS OWN!!!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

<FONT SIZE="2"><FONT COLOR="red">Front and Rear Pillar Trim Panel / Headliner Removal Coming Soon!!!</FONT></FONT>

Modified by VX at 5:07 PM 11/30/2003
Old 11-28-2003, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Rear Quarter Trim Panels From An EH Hatch! (VX)

excellent man!!!!

i saved it before all the clutter comes in.

Since you removed are going to sell your panels?

Edit: Didn't wanted to sound like a Vulture

Modified by ace1875 at 6:21 AM 11/28/2003
Old 11-28-2003, 03:06 AM

Very very nice writeup.....dont forget to post it up in the "faq" thread...

Old 11-28-2003, 03:07 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Rear Quarter Trim Panels From An EH Hatch! (ace1875)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ace1875 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">excellent man!!!!

i saved it before all the clutter comes in.

Since you removed are going to sell your panels?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you. Yes I will be selling my carpet/backseat/interior panels (headliner/rear quarter trim panels etc.)

When i'm ready to sell them, and take pics of them, i will post them in my forsale thread... so please no offers on the interior stuff yet... let's not get O.T. here.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:13 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Rear Quarter Trim Panels From An EH Hatch! (VX)

Thanks for the compliments. Good night guys. Turkey tryptophan is owning me.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:36 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. Total Time: ~ 1.5 Hours.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol... it would have taken me about 1/2 hour to remove the panels, but about 6 months to take the pics, write on them and then post about it.... seriously, goodwriteup for those who are mechanically challenged
Old 11-28-2003, 12:47 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Rear Quarter Trim Panels From An EH Hatch! (rodney)

Haha, thanks. Yes ALL of my how-to's do take me longer, b/c i'm learning as i go. Plus all the pics, and angles and stuff do slow me down. I had to back track quite a bit to get some shots.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:32 PM

That was a very good write up, LOVE ALL THE PICS, Keep up the good work
Old 11-28-2003, 04:20 PM

Default Re: (Quad-Damge)

good writeup
Old 11-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (93 EJ1)

Very nice writeup!!! Good info
Old 11-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great wright up on an obvious uninstall...not flaming, just thinking of those who couldn't do it with out your help...
Old 11-28-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Re: (spraa)

good stuff....
Old 11-30-2003, 06:55 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><FONT SIZE="2"><FONT COLOR="red">Front and Rear Pillar Trim Panel / Headliner Removal Coming Soon!!!</FONT></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

Now Posted! Click Here!
Old 12-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing to keep in mind, be very careful of the metal that becomes exposed in the door frame. IT IS VERY SHARP and I should know since I cut my hand pretty bad on it.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:22 PM

but isnt that ~10 lbs including the 3 cans and the wood platform?
Old 12-17-2003, 04:31 PM

nice im not gonna do that make my car look ugly
Old 12-17-2003, 06:26 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (htcsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by htcsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but isnt that ~10 lbs including the 3 cans and the wood platform?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. I calibrated the scale w/ the cans and wood on it.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:30 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bunz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bunz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice im not gonna do that make my car look ugly</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's great!!! Now go share your cookie with this guy:
Old 12-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good **** TTT
Old 12-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stock93cx)

good info...too bad i have a coupe and my rear panel trim is already out
Old 12-17-2003, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice tuturial for noobs
Old 12-18-2003, 12:13 AM

Default Re: [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Rear Quarter Trim Panels From An EH Hatch! (sshaikh01)

Damn....I was hoping for a faq on how to get my window trim off, or
more like back on. Wish I knew that you have to take out the rear
quarter panel windows to put the trim on........baauh.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Rear Quarter Trim Panels From An EH Hatch! (elwood)

This helps me emensely as I gutted the car out about two years ago. Now I know what fasteners I need to put in my new and improved interior panels

Should make a good write up of my own on my new project since there are no install pictures anywhere on the net. JDM EG6 install coming soon
Old 12-18-2003, 05:32 AM

Default Re: [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Rear Quarter Trim Panels From An EH Hatch! (White Lightnin)

VX is the writeup gran-master

The title of the thread caught me off guard too. Not used to people using the correct chassis code for USDM's.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:48 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Rear Quarter Trim Panels From An EH Hatch! (boostsohfast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostsohfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">VX is the writeup gran-master

The title of the thread caught me off guard too. Not used to people using the correct chassis code for USDM's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks bro, i appreciate it!!!

Yeah i don't really like using the incorrect lingo, even if one term is more commonly used or what not. I don't drive an EG, and never will.

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Rear Quarter Trim Panels From An EH Hatch!