B20VTEC Crank pully question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B20VTEC Crank pully question

hi!

im doing a b20vtec build

and the crank pully looks a bit far off? I don’t remember what it’s suppose to look like.

my orientation is the same as the Honda OEM guide

BLOCK ) OIL PUMP GEAR ( CRANK

) & ( are referring to the circle spacers

I don’t have my crank pully bolt atm so I haven’t been able to impact it on and really sandwich it all down ,

but I’m just curious if that ammount of offness is normal? Or if it’ll be fixed once I impact the crank pully bolt on! Thanks!
Old 03-09-2024, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: B20VTEC Crank pully question

The crank pulley face will stick out slightly farther than the end of the crankshaft snout. Your pic looks fairly normal, but the angle of the photo could be a bit misleading. As long as the crankshaft timing gear isn't one for an OBD-2 application (has teeth on the rear edge to pulse the crank fluctuation sensor), then having the inner guide, OBD-1 style crankshaft timing gear, outer guide and then the crank pulley IS the correct order. You do NOT use the inner guide when using the OBD-2 style crankshaft timing gear.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
The crank pulley face will stick out slightly farther than the end of the crankshaft snout. Your pic looks fairly normal, but the angle of the photo could be a bit misleading. As long as the crankshaft timing gear isn't one for an OBD-2 application (has teeth on the rear edge to pulse the crank fluctuation sensor), then having the inner guide, OBD-1 style crankshaft timing gear, outer guide and then the crank pulley IS the correct order. You do NOT use the inner guide when using the OBD-2 style crankshaft timing gear.
the bottom IS an obd 2 motor so it WAS using a crank piston sensor and the obd 2 style timing gear

BUT

I took it all off and I’m using a obd 1 style crank timing gear , and no longer using the crank position sensor , so I should’ve good then cuz everything fit right up
Old 03-10-2024, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Regardless of what oil pump you actually have, the OBD-1 crank gear combination from inside to outside is guide, crank timing gear, and guide. For the OBD-2 combination, only necessary if you intend to use the CKF sensor that mounts to the OBD-2 style oil pump, it is only the crank timing gear and outer guide.

Is this more clear ?
The following users liked this post: