Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

-=STOCK EG in Australia ! Help me tune ! =-

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -=STOCK EG in Australia ! Help me tune ! =-

HI all - my name's Ben from Sydney Australia - and i ahve recently purchased a stock 1993 honda civic EG si ( d16a twin cam motor ) - its quite nippy ...but, the honda tuning scene in Australia is quite small and pathetic...so i tohught id ask some pros overseas !

I intend to transplant either a b16a2 or b16b series engine into this car...I cant wait , but until then all i can get is wheels, suspension, exhaust etc.

I have brouhgt a 2nd hand apexi N1 muffler - how shoudl i fit this best ? Over or under axle ? At a angle or straight ?

I have sourced a good set of "buddy club fork stlye suspension" locally - but will this fit my EG civic ?

And ofcourse , Would the JDM honda SIR (civic) cluster fit into my stock aussie spec gauges ? I really like the white...

Ill be askin more questions soon...and ill post some pictures to show my little project and how is it goin !

Soon to be good EG...

Ben.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: -=STOCK EG in Australia ! Help me tune ! =- (bennjamin)

Dude, that is awesome...lemme be the first to say congradulations for getting your hands on a car that we can't own. IMO, I would not buy a b16 or a b16b. Go get yourself a B18C1 or a B18B from the Integra GSR or LS, respectively. For the exhaust you should have it angled however you want and use mandrel-bent piping.
EDIT: You got the EG Si...not the Si-R?? K...
Old 04-26-2003, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: -=STOCK EG in Australia ! Help me tune ! =- (GTlvr82)

a question from my side:
what the heck is the d16a kind of engine?

I only now
D16Z6
D16Z7
D16Z1
(engines in germany; the D16Z7 I saw in an norwegian civic sedan rtsi)
Old 04-26-2003, 12:58 AM

you should definately get a 1.8 b18c1 dohc vtec motor, you'll thank yourself later. and the cluster, it sounds like an eg, is it a 92-95 cluster? If so it can be put in easily, or other eg owners have put a 94-01 integra cluster in, thats really custom. if u have the b18c1 motor, it goes well together
Old 04-26-2003, 01:20 AM

Default Re: (jdm_eg_slut)

afaik, the Si comes with the ZC engine which is DOHC nonVTEC not the d16 which is a SOHC engine. They a pretty quick car somethin like 136 bhp w/o VTEC is pretty cool.

i think the N1 goes under the axle but as i havent seen many i can't really comment, there was a big thread up a while ago on whether it goes under or over the rear axle.

Peter
Old 04-26-2003, 03:58 AM

Its a 1.6 DOHC Non-VTEC, full engine code is D16A8, believe its approx 130ps, good engine for turbo charging!

Old 04-26-2003, 04:03 AM

Default Re: -=STOCK EG in Australia ! Help me tune ! =- (GTlvr82)

The model name Civic Si (DOHC non-vtec) was only used in Australia for the first half of the 5th gen release. Civic VTi (SOHC VTEC) replaced the Si it as the top civic model for the 2nd half of the 5th generations life here.

Engines used in our Si's are diff from Si's in the states

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GTlvr82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> You got the EG Si...not the Si-R?? K...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-26-2003, 04:49 AM
EG4

Default Re: -=STOCK EG in Australia ! Help me tune ! =- (C@ster)

Unfortunatly the reason Ben is looking for the B16 is more or less coz of his budget. Down in Oz we seriously have a pretty pathetic Honda scene and after market support here revolves more or less ard Skylines and Wrx's.

On top finding a decent b18 here is nearly down rite impossible for a decent price.

So Ben u would more or less wanna state a budget on how much u wanna spend before moving ahead.

Ur pretty lucky to be in sydney, downin melb its pretty pathetic.

Caster ur Marks friend rite?
Old 04-26-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Re: -=STOCK EG in Australia ! Help me tune ! =- (EG4)

EG4! yea I know mark, have I seen you around?
Old 04-26-2003, 11:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ur pretty lucky to be in sydney, downin melb its pretty pathetic.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm also from Melbourne, and I've seen quite a few Hondas around here. H22A integras, B18C5 Gen2 CRXs ect. You just have to know where to look
Old 04-26-2003, 06:02 PM

Default Re: -=STOCK EG in Australia ! Help me tune ! =- (weezercrx)

Weezer, aint you on MCCR?

I agree tho that a fair few honda's namely civics/crx have undergone engine swaps here..
Old 04-26-2003, 06:21 PM
EG4

Yeah i think u might have seen my car whenu picked up ur recaro's from marks shop

Weezer, there are a few ppl who have done these swaps but like only a few really. compared to the number of ppl just on this board who have done swaps. I mean literally they can buy a civic for 2K and swap in the motor and all the works for another 5K and they're all set. where as us, we get to start with a base that's abt 10K, and just swapping a b16 could sprial upwards in costs of 5K+

pending on whether u get the half cut or engine, tranny, ecu package. plus whether u do ur own labour or not.

weezer u drive the white crx rite?

i think we have a few ppl from mccr here

Frankly the best Honda board i've ever been to is here. Tho Honda bashing on mccr is rather prevalent sumtimes
Old 04-26-2003, 07:14 PM

yes i agree. In Australia, parts are so much cheaper especially JDM parts. E.g i bought an ITR Throttle body for $250 AUD ($125USD?) and an ITR Gearbox for $1300 AUD ($650 USD?).

The only reason we dont see as much Hondas around here is that people only have limited knowledge about Hondas and VTEC. But things are changine. Fast. More and more each day, I see boosted Hondas, and High reving N/A Hondas that makes me want to mod my honda even more.

Another problem i see is that Turbo Imports are much easier to get hold of than a Honda. For most people, why buy a $14k civic when u can buy a 13sec SR20 silvia? With Australian compliancing laws, you cant legally import a Honda from japan and register it. Where as Nissans and Toyotas, you can pretty much compliance anything.

Last night at the drags. There were mostly Hondas out there, even though most were stock. It was great to see so many.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:31 PM

Default Re: -=STOCK EG in Australia ! Help me tune ! =- (weezercrx)

Thats exactly it tho, if you want that cheap power which can be further upgraded for a cheaper price relative to making an NA go quicker why would you spend more? How cheap are R33 GTSTs and S13 SR20DETs these days?

But perhaps it goes beyond things such as outright power, you got to love the quality of Honda cars, there is a reason why they retain their value, b/c of the perceived build quality which is true to a large degree.

Where was the drag last night?
Old 04-26-2003, 07:38 PM
EG4

Hmmm well the R33's are going quite cheaply these days for abt 16-18K, but i think the s13's aren;t as cheap nemore but going abt 10-12K, but i believe that would be with SR20det.

Well comparatively if ur onvtec i guess its all well and fine, but if ur on one of the non-vtec cars u would find sumthing lacking no matter how good the build quality is.

Hmmm was it calder or the dandys?
Old 04-26-2003, 09:57 PM

Default Re: -=STOCK EG in Australia ! Help me tune ! =- (bennjamin)

Hey, welcome to the wonderful world of Hondas!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bennjamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And ofcourse , Would the JDM honda SIR (civic) cluster fit into my stock aussie spec gauges ? I really like the white...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I honestly have no clue what the Aussie cluster looks like, but I couldn't imagine they would change that much.... I do know that the JDM SiR/VTi clusters are plug & play, so to speak, on US 5th gen Civic's, so it should work fine in my opinion.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bennjamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have sourced a good set of "buddy club fork stlye suspension" locally - but will this fit my EG civic ?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This one I have no clue, to be honest with you......

Good luck with your new ride, a swapped Civic is a good thing no matter what side of the world you're on!!