Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

*NEED OPINIONS* Is it okay to redline it, and pop VTEC a few times a day?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *NEED OPINIONS* Is it okay to redline it, and pop VTEC a few times a day?

I have a 2000 Civic si w/ 90k miles. I do not beat on my car much. I never drop the clutch or do any burnouts. I do however redline it once or twice a day. I was just wondering if doing this can cause any damage to the motor at all. Is this bad to do on a motor with 90k miles? Like I said not really beating the **** out of the car, just a few redline pulls through the gears.

All opinions appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: *NEED OPINIONS* Is it okay to redline it, and pop VTEC a few times a day? (Razr2)

Higher revs will generally create more wear than more "leisurely" driving, but what you're describing does not seem excessive. Just be sure to keep up with regular maintenance, and you'll be fine.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *NEED OPINIONS* Is it okay to redline it, and pop VTEC a few times a day? (Razr2)

Shouldn't hurt it terribly, but the motor might not go as long as it COULD go because you're revving it hard (putting stress on it in general). I wouldn't bang it off the revlimiter all day long, but it's okay to feed a little speed to it every now and then.

In the end, no damage (unless you miss a shift), but you'll see your gas mileage drop.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *NEED OPINIONS* Is it okay to redline it, and pop VTEC a few times a day? (JKov240)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKov240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Shouldn't hurt it terribly, but the motor might not go as long as it COULD go because you're revving it hard (putting stress on it in general). I wouldn't bang it off the revlimiter all day long, but it's okay to feed a little speed to it every now and then.

In the end, no damage (unless you miss a shift), but you'll see your gas mileage drop. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i have been experiencing that since i installed my cams
Old 10-30-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: *NEED OPINIONS* Is it okay to redline it, and pop VTEC a few times a day? (electron_si)

VTEC IS THERE FOR A REASON. USE IT AS MUCH AS U WANT IN MY OPINION. THE ONLY THING IS GAS MILAGE IS WORSE. B16 IS A GREAT MOTOR.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hit vtec every day, just because I enjoy it, but I don't redline it every day. I think you should be fine though.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont even feel the y8 vtec

just do extra regular maintenance and dont drive like a maniac you good to go!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (polything)

Oh okay, and I also always wait at least 5-10 minutes before getting on it to let it warm up.

When the temp guage is where it's at for normal operating temp, does that mean it's fully warmed up? I ask because on my car it goes there after like 5 mins of driving. But some people say to warm it up for alot longer. Anyone know?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Popping vtec and hitting the redline in an EM1 that is stock is always good to do. It makes you look awesome as expletive as you are screaming down the street and barely passing anything. As you past cars/objects/people on the sidwalk , the people will shake their heads and imagine that you are a teenager driving... but expletive em', do it anyway.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

There's not a time that I drive my B series Civic that I don't hit VTEC, and I usually take it above 8000rpm more than once each drive.

Provided you're not bouncing off the rev limiter it's not bad to rev the engine to 8000rpm daily as long as you always make sure you have enough engine oil, and as long as you keep up with other maintenance as mentioned before.

BTW I'd be changing that timing belt, waterpump, cam seals, crank seal, drivebelts, valvecover gasket, and tube seals ASAP if they haven't been done already - they are due at 6 years of age regardless of mileage, and I don't like to let B series VTEC engines go over 90,000 miles on them anyways.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's not a time that I drive my B series Civic that I don't hit VTEC, and I usually take it above 8000rpm more than once each drive.

Provided you're not bouncing off the rev limiter it's not bad to rev the engine to 8000rpm daily as long as you always make sure you have enough engine oil, and as long as you keep up with other maintenance as mentioned before.

BTW I'd be changing that timing belt, waterpump, cam seals, crank seal, drivebelts, valvecover gasket, and tube seals ASAP if they haven't been done already - they are due at 6 years of age regardless of mileage, and I don't like to let B series VTEC engines go over 90,000 miles on them anyways.</TD></TR></TABLE>

keeps a clean engine too

and whats the use of having all the rpms you can safely take it to if you baby it like it's not broken in
Old 10-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Razr2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh okay, and I also always wait at least 5-10 minutes before getting on it to let it warm up.

When the temp guage is where it's at for normal operating temp, does that mean it's fully warmed up? I ask because on my car it goes there after like 5 mins of driving. But some people say to warm it up for alot longer. Anyone know?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You do not need to warm up before driving away. It says so in your owner's manual.

You only need to wait maybe about 30 seconds to 1 minute in EXTREMELY cold situations.

Just drive slowly at first, and then, when it warms up, drive as you normally would.

I NEVER let my cars warm up before I drive away. All you're doing by letting it warm up is wasting gas.

No you will not harm your car by hitting VTEC a few times a day and redlining it. I can totally attest for the durability of these motors. Just keep up with your oil changes and maintainence, and you're golden. It's a honda. You dont need to worry about it. As long as it's NA and pretty close to factory specs (anything but a race motor), you can beat on it and beat on it an beat on it without breaking it. Just dont mis shift or take it beyond it's recommended paratmeters. If motors broke, Honda wouldn't have the reputation they have now, nor would they make any money because they warranty their certified used cars for 100k.

So enjoy your car.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (B serious)

Well you never want to rev the engine into VTEC range unless the temp guage is at the normal level, which is usually just under halfway.

VTEC should not even work until the engine is at a certain temp - that is if you have a facotry ECU. Many chipped ones override this feature, but IMO just keep the revs low until the engine is warmed up.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: *NEED OPINIONS* Is it okay to redline it, and pop VTEC a few times a day? (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Higher revs will generally create more wear than more "leisurely" driving, but what you're describing does not seem excessive. Just be sure to keep up with regular maintenance, and you'll be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>
+1
as my normal driving habit, i dont rev to redline at all..and seldom hit vtec but when i want to drive fast, this is where the fun kicks in...
Old 10-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: *NEED OPINIONS* Is it okay to redline it, and pop VTEC a few times a day? (crazyguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
+1
as my normal driving habit, i dont rev to redline at all..and seldom hit vtec but when i want to drive fast, this is where the fun kicks in... </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah I totally drive like a grampa until I wanna have fun. I.E. when nobody else is around. I usually only hit 1st and 2nd gear VTEC sometimes 3rd...but whatever.

I do this not because of the motor or whatever else. I just dont want to look like a ricer. Plus, I just dont FEEL like beating on my car usually. I'm almost always driving my GSR ...and I use that car as a 500mile a week or more daily. So gas mileage is of the most importance. When I take my S2000 out, I like to have fun, but I dont wanna put anyone in danger or make myself look like a jackass.

But the engine never complains. Even back in my 16-20 year old days, when I used to beat on my cars ALL the time, I never really had any engine problems related to those activities. Now I just save it all for the track.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:17 AM

your fine... i hit vtec on a daily and its fine.. the car is made with it for a reason... just dont pop off rev limiter... that can cause excessive wear.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: *NEED OPINIONS* Is it okay to redline it, and pop VTEC a few times a day? (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But the engine never complains. Even back in my 16-20 year old days, when I used to beat on my cars ALL the time, I never really had any engine problems related to those activities. Now I just save it all for the track. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah i dont beat up or abuse my car or drivetrain..took me a while to find this good condition and one piece complete all oem jdm parts b16a with low miles..i am going to keep this car forever..
Old 10-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *NEED OPINIONS* Is it okay to redline it, and pop VTEC a few times a day? (crazyguy)

I wouldnt worry about it too much. I have a 2000 Si that I bought with 5 miles on it. and ive always drove it "hard" and Ive never had any problems at all with it, and now theres almost 90k on the motor Just keep up general matinence on the motor and you should be just fine
Old 10-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would trust honda over the opinions of anyone on a website.
if they didn't believe you should drive a car at a certain rpm, they would've put the redline at that RPM.

the fact that there is a redline means they believe it is safe to drive your car at that level....pretty straightforward i think.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:21 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (instrument)

how many times do you guys hit

I-VTEC everyday bwahaha *** you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suicide_shift)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suicide_shift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how many times do you guys hit

I-VTEC everyday bwahaha *** you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-01-2007, 07:46 AM

in reference to your question i hit vtec every day that i drive my 99 si and it runs very strong and i usually dont run it to redline but once in a while i do. my car has a few parts on it and 104,000 miles and runs flawlessly. i just bought another 99 si for my son from a friend that bought the car brand new and babied it for its whole life. actually i almost stole the car pricewise.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:29 PM
Trial User

Default Re: *NEED OPINIONS* Is it okay to redline it, and pop VTEC a few times a day?

Originally Posted by polything
i dont even feel the y8 vtec

just do extra regular maintenance and dont drive like a maniac you good to go!
I got a 96 ex sohc vtec and it's got the d16y8 for the longest I just didn't know if the vtec worked or not it had the solenoid and everything but I never really felt like a vtec pull. I did a burn out right now just because I never do them and I accidentally went a little harder than I wanted and forsure the vetec hit because it got a fat acceleration pop out of nowhere I never felt before I let go because it tripped me out and once I hit it again shot right back up idk maybe you gotta punch it a little harder idk this my first vtec car