Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

*Cling! Clang!* Coming from Rear Passenger Wheel Well... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Cling! Clang!* Coming from Rear Passenger Wheel Well... Help!

Hi everyone...

For the past several months I've had this clanging noise coming from my rear wheel well whenever i go over bump and stuff, my best guess was that camber arm I keep thinking about, or it's connection to the frame of the car. Thats problem ONE I need to deal with...

Now I have another noise which arises when I break, exactly when the stopping force equals that of the moving force of the car (right before the car stops), I get a *clank!* and the another *clank!* when I pull off.

Now I'll be driving again tonight listening for the sounds to try to pinpoint the location of the SECOND one, but the first one I am pretty sure where it is coming from, I just need to remove that wheel and have a look around there and see whats loose. But as far as the FIRST sound, what could it be thats loose or whatever?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: *Cling! Clang!* Coming from Rear Passenger Wheel Well... Help! (Paprika)

i had a similar sound. It turned out that the exhaust heat shield that is near the rear passenger wheel broke from its bolt. I only heard it when hitting a bump or right before i came to a stop when braking.

Does it sound like metal scraping metal? I say check that the exhaust heat shield isnt rubbing against a bar.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: *Cling! Clang!* Coming from Rear Passenger Wheel Well... Help! (Paprika)

Mine did that sound too. The rubber hanger near the right rear wheel well is broke.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *Cling! Clang!* Coming from Rear Passenger Wheel Well... Help! (GDR888)

Well look:

The areas in red are what I originally suspected. That top camber thing, I thought it may have been loose or the rubber bushing worn to all hell. Well I wiggled them all and they *felt* OK, but you never know, right?

As you can see the blue my hanger is fine; Infact I checked my entire exhast that day because I installed it earier this year and I was just checking to make sure it was still secure and all that, and it was fine. But this was before I read about the reccomendations to check the heatshields.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Comon now lads!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: (Paprika)

prolly the rear trainling arm bushing. there have been a couple now including myself with this prob of the clunk in the rear.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: (deviant1)

just because the control arms feel ok, doesnt mean they are ok. remember how much weight is pulling down on that assembly. get a torque wrench and torque all the bolts to spec. bad bushings would cause squeaking, but most likely not any "clanging" noises, unless the rubber was completely rotted through.

im not real familiar with drum brakes, but tou may wanna open them up and check in there..... remember to breathe real deep when you do though. j/k
Old 08-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem! I found out that its the exhaust pipe hitting the lower control arm, so I think I have to replace my shocks. Sitting on Eibach Pro Kit w/stock shocks. Have you tried going to the rear and pushing down on the car? Maybe try it and see if you can hear it, if so see if you can get someone to look down there and see where its coming from while pushing down on the rear. Or look at the exhaust pipe and see if it has scratches where it hits.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:19 PM

hmm

my exhaust rattles, and i get that clanking noise too.. didnt think it could be the heat shield i thought it was my pads running down to the metal peice...
gonna have to take a look tomorrow :0

u learn something new everyday

Old 08-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Morning Call)

i have the same SECOND problem on the driver side.. on mine its the A-frame(?) bushing.. i dunno the technical term.. if u could take a pic of the wheel well i could show you as i do not have a camera..
Old 08-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jArceo)

I already had a good pic somwheres but I dunno where it is :-\

Anyways, how can I assure myself that eventho I get the clunk, that the car will still be ok.