Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

**Safe having pictures of my SI on the web........??**

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Safe having pictures of my SI on the web........??**

So recently my friends and I took pictures of our cars and he posted them on his myspace. A whole lot of them. They are pictures of the engine, exterior, volk wheel so on. I have a 99 SI with a Type R swap
so its a fairly well stolen car. Do you guys think its safe to have pictures up on myspace?? You cant see VIN, plate or anything of that sort. What do you guys think about this??

Jacos
(jukie thanks for letting me use your sn)

Old 05-09-2008, 12:47 PM

Default Re: **Safe having pictures of my SI on the web........??** (JDMjukie)

keep it in ur garage i doubt any1 would fly/drive hundreds of miles to get ur car...but who knows bout ppl who recognize it that live down the block
Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm its a toss up man... if your myspace is private then only your friends will see it, and are you worried your friends will steal it??? and if its not... wat are the odds a thief will see it???

i have pix of my car on myspace and its not private... BUT i don't use my car pix as the main picture and i don't show off and label all my parts. just a shot here shot there, anytime the car is looking clean.. ahaha
Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haxored your IP and am coming for teh Whip
Old 05-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMjukie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so its a fairly well stolen car.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thief, i hope you get your car stolen.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Its never safe so just post it up
Old 05-10-2008, 08:07 PM

Default Re: (J. Funk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Funk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its never safe so just post it up</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup
Old 05-10-2008, 08:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMjukie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So recently my friends and I took pictures of our cars and he posted them on his myspace. A whole lot of them. They are pictures of the engine, exterior, volk wheel so on. I have a 99 SI with a Type R swap
so its a fairly well stolen car. Do you guys think its safe to have pictures up on myspace?? You cant see VIN, plate or anything of that sort. What do you guys think about this??

Jacos
(jukie thanks for letting me use your sn)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well...Your friend forgot to tell you that he posted up nude pictures of your sister online as well...WITH her vin number.

Joey
(Smrcrx thanks for letting me use your sn)
Old 05-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used to not care about posting pics; I posted up my EM1 all the time. It was pretty bone stock so it wasn't a really big deal. Yes, it did get stolen, but I don't think HT had anything to do with it.

Flash forward to a few months back. My buddy picks up a super clean, bone stock 93 Civic Si off of some chick for super cheap. Of course, we proceeded to take pics of it and post them on HT as he began to mod it. The body, interior, and engine were mint, and he slammed it and added some clean exterior mods (JDM corners, fogs, went through a couple sets of wheels, etc. the basic stuff). It was a pretty damn clean car and our pic threads about it reached a few pages. People love clean EG's, right?

Within a month of getting the car, and after three A/C threads, it was stolen. Downtown San Francisco is already a nasty place for cars, but still--I can't help but think the threads showing off his clean EG were nothing more than a want-ad for some ignorant [freak]ers perusing for cars to steal.

My 2000 Si was stolen and my buddy's 93 Si was stolen, but I'm still going to keep buying and building Hondas because I love them and I've met great people through them. Except now, my car will hide in the garage and the pics I take of it will not be shared with the general public--which is a huge bummer because I really want to share what I have with the cool Honda owners. Theft is ruining the scene out here in California.

That was kind of a long story, but that was just an explanation for my advice to the OP: take those pics down, bro. First of all, EM1's are extremely desirable and finding a clean title example is getting harder and harder. Secondly, if you have Volks and a Type R swap, that's just fuel for thieves. My car was stolen and it was BONE STOCK (the only mods at the time were an MP3 deck and a AEM short ram). Lastly, you live in Chicago, and there are a ton of stolen cars in that area lately.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:46 PM

Default Re: (hushypushy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hushypushy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theft is ruining the scene out here in California.</TD></TR></TABLE>

darn cali
Old 05-10-2008, 09:51 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Most thieves aren't looking online for a car. While it might heighten the chances of your car being stolen, the percentage will be marginal. Especially if the MySpace page is private.

Your biggest risk is having it out in public without a reliable guardian watching over it.

Having photos of the car online and then having it stolen would not seem to be linked imo UNLESS the car is highly modified (especially if it's a really good sleeper) or there is an odd circumstance that links it to something online.

For example, no one will seek out a stock Si because they saw it online. A car with a lot of rare parts would hold a higher chance of being looked for once it's posted online.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For example, no one will seek out a stock Si because they saw it online. A car with a lot of rare parts would hold a higher chance of being looked for once it's posted online.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree, to a point. I can't drive anywhere without seeing a 92-95 Civic hatchback. I'd say 95% of the ones I see have either messed up body panels/fenders (dented, paint is bad, fitment is terrible), a messed up interior, a high mileage messed up engine, or some combination of those. Now, let's compare that to the amount of people on Honda-Tech, where the 'EG hatch' is one of the most popular cars--I'm sure that among the 270k members, at least some of them have got to be thieves. And I don't find it unreasonable that someone saw "San Francisco, CA" in the location next to super clean EG pics and then decided to keep their eye out for it. Even if ONE person sees the car online, they might tell a few other of their thief buddies who tell a few more, and it escalates. I'm not saying that they saw the thread, said "I'm taking that one" and then went after it--I'm saying that the combination of showing off a mint, highly desirable car and having your (tiny) city listed under your avatar is something of a security threat.

Of course, it could've been 100% non HT related, who knows. They still haven't even found the car yet.

and that was for a stock ride with a 200k mile D16--I shudder to think about a 99 Si with a Type R swap, if the pics are public that is.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:33 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hushypushy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I disagree, to a point. I can't drive anywhere without seeing a 92-95 Civic hatchback. I'd say 95% of the ones I see have either messed up body panels/fenders (dented, paint is bad, fitment is terrible), a messed up interior, a high mileage messed up engine, or some combination of those. Now, let's compare that to the amount of people on Honda-Tech, where the 'EG hatch' is one of the most popular cars--I'm sure that among the 270k members, at least some of them have got to be thieves. And I don't find it unreasonable that someone saw "San Francisco, CA" in the location next to super clean EG pics and then decided to keep their eye out for it. Even if ONE person sees the car online, they might tell a few other of their thief buddies who tell a few more, and it escalates. I'm not saying that they saw the thread, said "I'm taking that one" and then went after it--I'm saying that the combination of showing off a mint, highly desirable car and having your (tiny) city listed under your avatar is something of a security threat.

Of course, it could've been 100% non HT related, who knows. They still haven't even found the car yet.

and that was for a stock ride with a 200k mile D16--I shudder to think about a 99 Si with a Type R swap, if the pics are public that is.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Keeping your eyes open for a clean hatch (even if you first saw it online) is far from seeking out a car because you saw it online.

Oh, and San Francisco, CA is not a tiny town. It's also kind of funny to see that you have no location listed in your profile, but in your sig is a link to a del Sol (with plenty of photos) for sale in the Bay Area, CA. I can only assume this is your car and that is your location.

My car was stolen once before. The chances that they saw online that I'd just moved to this town probably had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I think it's mostly wishful thinking that someone would see your car online and like it so much that they went out and looked for it so they could steal it.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:55 PM

How about this whenever you post up pics just block out your license plate number..I mean It's just common sense..Than how are they going to track your car??
Old 05-11-2008, 12:07 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (dougk1401)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dougk1401 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about this whenever you post up pics just block out your license plate number..I mean It's just common sense..Than how are they going to track your car??</TD></TR></TABLE>
Location.

So maybe don't tell everyone where you live. Don't use any buildings or billboards, etc as a backdrop if they contain a phone number or a business name that isn't a huge franchise. Taking photos in front of Burger King might not be an issue, but taking them in front of your local such and such dealership that states the name in your photo might not be a great idea.

Honestly, who the hell is going to pay to get a license plate looked up for some nearly stock car? Most people don't have friends in the DMV, etc. Again, the threat is greater if you have a highly modified vehicle.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh, and San Francisco, CA is not a tiny town. It's also kind of funny to see that you have no location listed in your profile, but in your sig is a link to a del Sol (with plenty of photos) for sale in the Bay Area, CA. I can only assume this is your car and that is your location.</TD></TR></TABLE>

SF is a relatively tiny--46 square miles. I grew up in San Jose where everything is much, much more spread out and there are many more people. I guess people who live in towns of population 1000 think SF is HUGE, but for me it feels like a tiny urban area packed with people.

And yes, my car is for sale and that's why it's in my signature. But before that, I didn't have anything in my signature or in my location info, and after I sell it, it'll be the same. I think you're lucky to live in an area that's relatively theft free. I'm stoked that you have such optimism and I wish I shared the feeling When I get my next car, maybe I will take some pics and post them up... and I'll dedicate them to you
Old 05-11-2008, 01:08 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hushypushy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SF is a relatively tiny--46 square miles. I grew up in San Jose where everything is much, much more spread out and there are many more people. I guess people who live in towns of population 1000 think SF is HUGE, but for me it feels like a tiny urban area packed with people.

And yes, my car is for sale and that's why it's in my signature. But before that, I didn't have anything in my signature or in my location info, and after I sell it, it'll be the same. I think you're lucky to live in an area that's relatively theft free. I'm stoked that you have such optimism and I wish I shared the feeling When I get my next car, maybe I will take some pics and post them up... and I'll dedicate them to you </TD></TR></TABLE>
The area I live in is not "relatively theft free". There is quite a bit of theft here. A friend posted his car up on here after it got cut up by thieves.

I also don't live in an area of 1000. The area I live in has a high population. The area I live in has a high population of thieves too.

I'm just smart enough that if I'm going to say, "That's it, I don't want to post my location," that I don't.

Somehow you were "tricked" into posting your location twice that I can even see.

San Francisco has a population of 764,976. So even though it's "only 46 square miles", there are a hell of a lot of people crammed into that area, many of those people having cars (not to mention tourists, company vehicles, etc), which makes it more difficult to find just one thing.

46 square miles is still a LOT of room if you're looking for one measly little Honda. It's not like you, say, might happen to somehow spot a Honda in the Bay Area before you see the one you're looking for.

You live in the Bay Area. You can't throw a stone without hitting a Honda there. The chances that someone marked your car because they saw it on the internet is about 0.0000003%. I still think it's wishful thinking on your part. Sure, your car got stolen, but only because it was so badass that someone from the internets stalked it. No.... you had a Honda in San Fransisco. End of story.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man, I understand what you're saying, but I think I might have miscommunicated my point, because of what you said here:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The chances that someone marked your car because they saw it on the internet is about 0.0000003%. I still think it's wishful thinking on your part. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not trying to say that they saw the car online and then immediately hunted it down afterward. My main point is that I don't find it unreasonable that the thieves were HT members and recognized the car.

Would it still have been taken if photos of it had never seen the light of day? Almost certainly. I'm not trying to deny that. I think that he was pretty naive for parking it downtown, naked, protected only by The Club and a kill switch (in other words, practically nothing). I also think that's it's pretty goddamn horrible that we even have to worry about **** like this.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm just smart enough that if I'm going to say, "That's it, I don't want to post my location," that I don't.

Somehow you were "tricked" into posting your location twice that I can even see.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know you're proud of saying this (this is the second time you've mentioned it), but I have to reiterate: my location wasn't posted up before, and it won't be posted up after the car is gone. It's only like that right now.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honestly, who the hell is going to pay to get a license plate looked up for some nearly stock car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you serious? The best thing about Hondas is also the worst thing--everything is interchangeable. Look at the HT Marketplace or Craigslist--there are a lot of people looking for and selling STOCK parts. Like I said, they still haven't found his car--I'm sure they took EVERYTHING and then hacked up the shell afterwards.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car was stolen once before. The chances that they saw online that I'd just moved to this town probably had absolutely nothing to do with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably? Why not 'definitely'? You're almost convincing me that my buddy's hatch was completely non-HT related, so your slight shadow of doubt interests me...

I hope you understand that wasn't sarcasm in my last post regarding posting pics. This thread has made me reconsider what I once thought, and you know what, I actually am thinking about posting pics of my next car
Old 05-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mines usually in the garage or at work(guarded lot).you can take a chance guessing what nights my doberman sleeps in the garage if you want to...
Old 05-11-2008, 04:15 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hushypushy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey man, I understand what you're saying, but I think I might have miscommunicated my point, because of what you said here:

I'm not trying to say that they saw the car online and then immediately hunted it down afterward. My main point is that I don't find it unreasonable that the thieves were HT members and recognized the car.

Would it still have been taken if photos of it had never seen the light of day? Almost certainly. I'm not trying to deny that. I think that he was pretty naive for parking it downtown, naked, protected only by The Club and a kill switch (in other words, practically nothing). I also think that's it's pretty goddamn horrible that we even have to worry about **** like this.

I know you're proud of saying this (this is the second time you've mentioned it), but I have to reiterate: my location wasn't posted up before, and it won't be posted up after the car is gone. It's only like that right now.

Are you serious? The best thing about Hondas is also the worst thing--everything is interchangeable. Look at the HT Marketplace or Craigslist--there are a lot of people looking for and selling STOCK parts. Like I said, they still haven't found his car--I'm sure they took EVERYTHING and then hacked up the shell afterwards.

Probably? Why not 'definitely'? You're almost convincing me that my buddy's hatch was completely non-HT related, so your slight shadow of doubt interests me...

I hope you understand that wasn't sarcasm in my last post regarding posting pics. This thread has made me reconsider what I once thought, and you know what, I actually am thinking about posting pics of my next car </TD></TR></TABLE>
It's too easy to drive and just find a stock car. There is no need to find one on the internet, trace the plate, and then go pick up that car in the hopes that it will be parked at the address it's registered too.

There's always a chance it was first seen online, but the chances are incredibly slim. Thus why I said "probably". It is probable that it was not first seen online.

Though your car might have been online and the people who stole it might have been on the site, there is still a high chance that they never saw it on the site.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:18 PM

Unless you've got an obviously tricked out car that someone close by you has been thinking about stealing recently, you're fine IMO
Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 PM

Default Re: **Safe having pictures of my SI on the web........??** (k3ld0r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k3ld0r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless you've got an obviously tricked out car that someone close by you has been thinking about stealing recently, you're fine IMO</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats why with all my cars/bikes, if someone is behind me as I'm about to pull into my driveway, i go around the block, just to be safe...

-I don't live in cali, but all it takes is one POS to pry open your garage door and jack your ****...