Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

**Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!**

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!**

I opened it up...not like take the head off the block. BUT i've seen some crazy *** **** already. From the intake mainfold side, I see oil...a lot!!! Its on the inside of the intake tube and tb. I had to hit the tb to make it move. As soon as i pulled off the Intake manifold, i see oil on the inside of the manifold too. It goes down to the intake ports and 1 of them i see a lot of deposit. Pics will show. It also, looks like the spark plugs have oil on them. Please, i did research already.

Pics:

Looks like rust everywhere

Yup, thats some build up

Oh yeah, my crank pulley came chipped. Am i able to use an LS crank pulley?
Old 05-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!** (SoHc10Lbs)

Who did you buy the engine from?
Old 05-20-2004, 07:50 AM

Default Re: **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!** (EGkwazhimoto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGkwazhimoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who did you buy the engine from?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I'd like to know as well.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!** (EkDave)

Damn Which company is this
Old 05-20-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Re: **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!** (Clicky Pow)

Thats a bunch of bullshit! I'm sorry to hear that bro, any luck on an exchange?

I'm not sure where you got your motor but if you get a chance to return this one you might want to check out hmotorsonline.com I haven't had any experience with hmotorsonline.com but I've his pretty good. Good luck with that.

Modified by wannaTypeR at 9:48 AM 5/20/2004
Old 05-20-2004, 08:04 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!** (Clicky Pow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Clicky Pow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn Which company is this </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-20-2004, 08:04 AM
Trial User

Default Re: **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!** (wannaTypeR)

So, it came from Hmotors???
Old 05-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean all that stuff up, hone the cylinders & put in a set of rings, rod bearings, get a valve job done if you can afford it.. Freshen up that motor before you put it in, which is what I'd do anyway and you won't have to worry about the condition it came in. Just my opinion. I feel for you, too bad it didn't come in nicer shape. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:08 AM

Default Re: **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!** (TODAeg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, it came from Hmotors???</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, he hasn't said where he got it from yet...
Old 05-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Trial User

Default Re: **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!** (Fred n J's_1.8's)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fred n J's_1.8's &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, he hasn't said where he got it from yet...</TD></TR></TABLE>

read a few posts up, looks like someone already knew or something. that's why I asked that.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, it came from Hmotors???</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, i got it local. i am buying maintainace stuff right and hope to put it in with next week. There is a 30 day money back, so if anything...ill try to get a new 1 replcaed and open it up to really check it out. They told me they had 1 bad motor and it was a turbo'd nissan. i might clean up the ports and valves, the lil stuff.

i know for sure im changing out the water and timing belt. new thromstat, cap and rotor. anything else u think i should change out? i really do not want to open the head and block up right now b/c of warrenty. oh yeah, its a b20 and im going to use a b16 intake mainfold for now, till i can get skunk2. thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

read a few posts up, looks like someone already knew or something. that's why I asked that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It looks like it was a n00b who assumed. There are other places to get JDM besides hmotors. I've never heard anything bad from them anyway.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:17 AM

i hope you had a bomb *** deal on that... and not having to pay the price of a good one for it. Did you ask them why there is so much residue or why the engine was in such bad shape? SPEAK OUT BRO! haahaa keep us updated
Old 05-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude I wouldnt even worry about it, just clean it out real good (throttle body, IM, Intake ports). The are 2 possible reasons that there is so much oil on the intake side of the motor. 1) The motor was boosted on with a bad turbo (with bad oil seals) and oil was being shot out compressor side. &lt;----Not very likely though. 2) The motor had/has a bad pcv valve and oil was being spewed into the intake because of it. &lt;-More than likely.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't bother with a potentially shitty motor. take it back.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (MichaelJComputer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MichaelJComputer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't bother with a potentially shitty motor. take it back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly, you pay money for a motor that you expect to work.... Demand a new one.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:46 AM

Default Re: **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!** (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It looks like it was a n00b who assumed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was simply referring him to hmotorsonline.com if he gets the chance to return that motor he has because I've heard good thing about hmotorsonline.

**I edited my earlier post to clearify any confussion -- sorry guys

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wannaTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thats a bunch of bullshit! I'm sorry to hear that bro, any luck on an exchange?

I'm not sure where you got your motor but if you get a chance to return this one you might want to check out hmotorsonline.com I haven't had any experience with hmotorsonline.com but I've heard they are pretty good. Good luck with that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!** (wannaTypeR)

he probably got a dope *** deal on it guys.

Old 05-20-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Re: (Unsivil_audio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unsivil_audio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude I wouldnt even worry about it, just clean it out real good (throttle body, IM, Intake ports). The are 2 possible reasons that there is so much oil on the intake side of the motor. 1) The motor was boosted on with a bad turbo (with bad oil seals) and oil was being shot out compressor side. &lt;----Not very likely though. 2) The motor had/has a bad pcv valve and oil was being spewed into the intake because of it. &lt;-More than likely.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea ive seen that much oil on a car that was running fine when it came into our shop.. never on a honda but that doesnt mean anything.. and im sure the buildup was from it just sitting in there and not being drivin.. and it gummed up.. id just use some carb cleanerand clean it all out. probably will be fine.
happens on american car alot cough ford cough
Old 05-20-2004, 09:25 AM

Default Re: (drunknbass)

if you have a opportunity to return it, do so. Who knows what happenwd to it prior to your purchase. If you got a really good deal, then i guess you could refresh the motor and get it looking its best though.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Unsivil_audio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unsivil_audio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude I wouldnt even worry about it, just clean it out real good (throttle body, IM, Intake ports). The are 2 possible reasons that there is so much oil on the intake side of the motor. 1) The motor was boosted on with a bad turbo (with bad oil seals) and oil was being shot out compressor side. &lt;----Not very likely though. 2) The motor had/has a bad pcv valve and oil was being spewed into the intake because of it. &lt;-More than likely.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think #2 was the problem. i took the PVC valve and shook it, heard something move (spong like) i guess its to soak up the oil and prevent it to coming into the intake hose and etc. hopefully that was it, it was kind of full i guess.

im thinking about returning it, but i need a motor bad. they said it was tested and running b4 they imported it. also, i would like to add that we were not able to open the motor up at the location.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:51 AM

Default Re: (SoHc10Lbs)

when you shake the PCV vavle, you are supposed to hear a rattle, that means it is in good working condition. it does not soak up oil.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:00 AM

Damn that looks like a Jeep 4.0 intake manifold and throttle body. Those motors give out LOTS of blow-by. Definitely take it back and tell them to give you one in better condition.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what about the crank pulley? should i use a ls one? is it the same? i want to try it out b4 i return it. either way im getting a b20
Old 05-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SoHc10Lbs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoHc10Lbs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about the crank pulley? should i use a ls one? is it the same?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the same? i don't know. but i do know b-series crank pulleys are interchangeable. that's why people can use a ctr pulley without a problem.

Quick Reply: **Just got my JDM motor and It don't look so good!!!**