Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

**Experience @ honda dealership + SRS question**

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Experience @ honda dealership + SRS question**

background info: i own a 1995 civic ex coupe (EJ1) i had a few fuses blow the other day and not even realizeing what i did, i pulled the underdash fush for the SRS to replace the broken fuse thinking it was just a spare fuse. obviously i wasn't thinking, but i now have a SRS code light showing up on the dash. this has happened before and i just took it into the dealership and they cleared it out for me at no charge. i have recently moved to another city and have not gone to the dealership here before, but i am tired of staring at this SRS light on my dash so i pull up yesterday hoping they can clear it out real quick. i pull down the srs diagnostic port and run inside to see if they have time to do it. the service guy comes out with an OBD2 scan tool and hunts all under the dash looking for a connector. after watching this guy for 5 minutes look for the port i politely mention to him this car is a obd1 and he needs to use the port i pulled down on the passenger dash panel. he gets all huffy and goes back in the service dept. another guy comes out that seems to know more about cars and suggested something rather odd. he said if i disconnect the battery terminals and touch them together it will clear out all srs codes...this sounds risky, and definately not something i would think to do. he claims honda of america even sent a memo out to service deparments about this. anybody have experience with this? i may have to just drive 45 minutes back to the old dealership where they know me just to get the SRS code cleared. thanks for listening to me yap.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:17 AM

Default Re: **Experience @ honda dealership + SRS question** (dogpile5)

Drive the 45 minutes back to you old dealer ship. I would not do what they are telling you to do. Sounds really risky.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The cable trick is not dangerous at all. I worked at Honda dealers for four years and have been told to do this by techline several times. I have never done it to clear a srs code, but it may work. The correct way to clear the light is explained in the manual for your car. You use the scs connector and a series of on/off with the key and the connector. my books are at the shop or I would give you the exact procedure. If you dont have the Honda manual for your car you should get it.

hope that helps.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:07 AM

Hey Justin,
So he wants you to pull the battery cables off and touch them together? First I have ever heard of that. Don't know why, but that does not sound right. But the guy above me has had some experience though so it might work.
I know this helps in no way what so ever. Sorry...........

James
Old 08-21-2002, 09:17 AM

Default Re: **Experience @ honda dealership + SRS question** (itrhybrid)

personally I think it sounds preposterous. I possibly dont see how it would do anything. the way I see it, there is a set procedure to correct this problem, follow the steps the manual says to take care of it. yeah I know justin I am the worst one sometimes of using shortcuts, but I don't buy this one!

John
Old 08-21-2002, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **Experience @ honda dealership + SRS question** (ImprtTuner88)

don't have a helms manual, just a crappy chiltons, trevor, i'll PM you tonight for more info. btw, james, you did help me. a bump to the top of the list again is always a bonus!
Old 08-21-2002, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **Experience @ honda dealership + SRS question** (sk8ordie)

As a honda technician I suggest buying the service manual and doing it yourself. If you have the skills that is. GL
i agree, i SHOULD have a service manual, but in the meantime til i can afford one, how bout just clueing me in on how to fix this one thing?
Old 08-21-2002, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should be just fine Justin. Been there, done that. Back when the SFC-VTEC unit was screwing with the ITR. Had to pull that trick a few times, since the code it was throwing meant I had a bad ECU.
No sweat man...

Jason
Old 08-21-2002, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok.. basically heres what happens when you do this.. i know electronics pretty well.. your computer has diodes.. resistors all kindsa **** up in there... and small amounts of electricity stay in there even if you disconnect the battery... so basically what you are doing when you do this is takin all that small amounts of electricity and discharging it to the ground in the car so that no kinda memory is held.. it does nothin harmful and will probably do the trick.. i have had to do it plenty of times when installing stereo's at circuit city in honda's and other cars for various reasons... so basically just disconnect the + and the - and touch them together for a second and then plug them back up.. voilllla you just reset the ECU <U>COMPLETELY</U>
Old 08-21-2002, 10:13 PM

so have you tried this?? or does anyone know how to get rid of the srs light? i wanna know too. Peace.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **Experience @ honda dealership + SRS question** (civicrtype)

my friend work at honda at the service department . he said to touch the + battery wire to the - battery. i never tried this cuz i dont trust it. but last time he said he can take off the srs light from the stock radio.but this was on my accord.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **Experience @ honda dealership + SRS question** (sk8ordie)

connecting the poles on the car wiring did not work!! instead, i have found a "Sol"-lution to get the SRS light to turn off. this will not fix any errors with the SRS system, but will get the memory erased. much thanks to the del sol website this material is quoted from:

Directions for erasing memory on SRS light
1st you need to either buy or make the "SCS Service Connector." I used a speaker harness for and older Honda which you can buy at a local stereo shop such as Circuit City or Best Buy, and cut the wires and looped them together. You can also use a paperclip but that will make it a little more difficult because you have to connect it and disconnect it a few times quickly.

2nd you need to find the MES (Memory Erase Signal) connector which is pictured below: (Click to enlarge)
MES Plug in Fuse box.

SCS Plug

It is a yellow connector with two wires in it that is plugged into the fuse box, unplug it and pull it down. Once you have done that you can begin the process of erasing the memory. NOTE: This will only reset your SRS System if what caused it to trigger has been fixed, Ex: turning the ignition on with any SRS Plugs disconnected, such as pulling your seat out.

1st step in erasing the memory is to turn the ignition off and connect the SCS Service connector to the MES Plug,

2nd Turn Ignition on. SRS indicator light will come on for about 6 seconds then go off.

3rd Disconnect SCS service connector for MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS indicator light goes off. SRS indicator light will come on again.

4th Reconnect SCS service connector the MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS light comes on. SRS indicator light will go off.

5th Disconnect SCS service connector from MES connector within 4 seconds. SRS indicator light will indicate that memory is erased by blinking 2 times.

6th Turn ignition off, and wait 10 seconds. Start vehicle like normal and light should come on and go out like normal. You have reset your SRS light, congrats.

If it does not work the first time try it again, the timing has to be perfect. My first time it took me 3 attempts before it worked, but it did work.

(quoted from http://www.teamdelsol.com)