Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

**The ultimate how-to CTR power folding mirror install [the correct way]**

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **The ultimate how-to CTR power folding mirror install [the correct way]**

** How to Install Civic Type R (EK9) Power Folding Mirrors on Your 96-00 Civic **

Time Needed: Too Much

Tools: Soldering Iron, Wire Cutters / Strippers, Basic Flat Head & Phillips Screw Drivers, 8mm Socket & Wrench, Pliers.

Background: I've always wanted a set of power folding mirrors. I tried numerous sets before including: the real deal, knock offs (manual fold), etc. I didn't like the authentics because I couldn't see **** out of them and I didn't like the knockoffs because the quality was horrible and the glass would shake when I was on the freeway, making it hard to see other vehicles. When I had the authentics, I even swapped the glass on the mirrors to USDM ITR thinking it would solve my vision problems, but it didn't. So, I then came up with a brilliant idea. The knockoffs provided the correct view, but had crappy internals. The authentics had a horrible view, but great internals.

So, whynot use the knockoff mirror base portion and the authentic Honda mirror portion to get mirrors that still power fold, have the OEM quality and vision from them. Here we go:

** Please note, I'm doing the physical install portion first, then the wiring explanation.

1) I started out by purchasing a set of "knock-off" manual fold mirrors for the "EK":

2) Then I proceeded to purchase a set of the authentic power folding mirrors.

3) As shown by this picture, it's the knockoff (red) base with the authentic (silver) mirror portion after a quick unbolts and de-pinning of the plug.

4) The next pictures are just to show off that the knockoff base and authentic mirror portion fit together like a glove:

5) I then sent the mirrors off to get painted.

6) Finally, it was time to bolt them onto the car. I'm not going to illustrate this portion because I can provide PDF files to people who don't know how to access their stock mirrors. Plus, if you can't do that part, you shouldn't be doing this write-up.

7) However, once I went to bolt them on I realized that the glass on the passenger side mirror was incredibly loose, well here's why:

The tab that the mirror clips on to had been broken off by the previous owner, but he didn't proceed to tell me about it. Whatever though, no biggie.

8) I digress, so here's a quick tease of what they looked like installed:

9) In order to fix the above problem, I picked up a set of GSR mirrors from Eran

10) Now it was time to swap the internals of the passenger mirror. I basically had to transfer the power folding parts onto the GSR internals so that the mirror glass had somewhere to attach to.

11) I finally finished up the internal parts swap and re-installed the glass. I got it installed back on with the driver mirror, when this happened:

12) Sigh, I messed up the mirror that I JUST had painted and JUST rebuilt. Oh well, time to fix it, again. So I ordered the outside shell of the mirror from Honda. Turns out the part #'s are good because the mirrors are the exact SAME as the 97-01 preludes. It even came in my color of Nighthawk Black Pearl. So for about $50, I had a brand new outer cover piece. Not TOO bad, although still $50 out of my pocket.

13) Got to work on replacing the outer portion and finished it up (cell pic):

That basically concludes part 1 of the install.

14) On to the wiring portion. I found this diagram on honda-tech and went based on it:

Ah, the good old soldering iron:

15) I decided to only wire up the power folding portion, as if you try to wire up all five wires, you have to add two more wire to the door harness and run them all the way into the cabin. Instead, I just disregarded the adjustment portion of the mirror glass and tap the power for the motor into the existing wire harness.

Basically, I knew the power / ground output for the motor was D / E on the wiring diagram. I tapped into the wires of the car harness and wrote down the corresponding colors.

16) I think hooked up everything up to the relay / switch. They folded inward, we were in business!

17) However, the switch for this setup was black in color and I wanted dark gray to match my dash. So I hunted for a dark gray switch and found one. However, the plug was different. I matched up the wiring on the plug and what do you know, it didn't work.

18) I don't have any pictures on this computer, but the switch actually came with an integrated relay. Pretty cool if you ask me because the external relay became unneccessary which saved me ~$30. I'll upload those pics later.

19) Tuuuhhhdah!!!!!!!

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=SSPX0132.flv

So yeah, that about concludes it. I know it's not the best writeup, but at least it gives you a good idea of what's up. In some of the pictures, you'll notice that the view of the driver side is basically dead on. No more side of the car view.

Any questions / comments please feel free.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I serve phở for my babies

this is good stuff..
Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am confused on your writeup. You used non-OEM bases, Integra mirror internals (which consists of what...?), and CTR mirror housing?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlueIntegraBoy
I am confused on your writeup. You used non-OEM bases, Integra mirror internals (which consists of what...?), and CTR mirror housing?
Sorry if I didn't explain it clearly - I was in a somewhat of a rush when writing it.

I used:

1) Non-OEM bases
2) CTR mirror housings

The integra mirror internals were ONLY used because of my situation with the broken attachment point. I didn't want to go purchase another complete set of CTR mirrors so I made it easier on myself by just changing the internals. If you had a set of CTR mirrors in mint condition, that step could be skipped.

Make sense?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8shorty012
Sorry if I didn't explain it clearly - I was in a somewhat of a rush when writing it.

I used:

1) Non-OEM bases
2) CTR mirror housings

The integra mirror internals were ONLY used because of my situation with the broken attachment point. I didn't want to go purchase another complete set of CTR mirrors so I made it easier on myself by just changing the internals. If you had a set of CTR mirrors in mint condition, that step could be skipped.

Make sense?
Yes it does now. Seemed like you skipped an explanation in your writeup.

So, you have the correct mirror angles, but you still have a convex mirror on the US driver side and a flat on the US passenger side? It should be the other way around.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great write up.
did you swap over the glass from the knockoffs into the jmd ones?
i am a bit confused as how you took these apart without destroying them...
could you show us how you got them apart to swap the guts out?
thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey so do yo have a copy of the wire write up?

I have a pair of CTR, relay, and switch with retractable.
they all have a pigtail.

i wanna wire them up. could you help me out.

thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good write-up Evan.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:07 AM

if i ship you mine, would u mind charging me to do it?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlueIntegraBoy
Yes it does now. Seemed like you skipped an explanation in your writeup.

So, you have the correct mirror angles, but you still have a convex mirror on the US driver side and a flat on the US passenger side? It should be the other way around.
Yes. However, the vision is basically 100% correct IMO. I can see my blind spots perfectly. The passenger side is dead on, however the driver side is slightly warped (due to the convex portion). I'm used to it by now. The main accomplishment was to get the angles correct. The convex / flat doesn't bother me.

Originally Posted by confidence
great write up.
did you swap over the glass from the knockoffs into the jmd ones?
i am a bit confused as how you took these apart without destroying them...
could you show us how you got them apart to swap the guts out?
thanks
No, you cannot swap the glass from the knockoffs to the authentics. They use different actuators and attachment points. All you do to get them apart is to depin the white female connector (to free the wires). Then you undo the three bolts under the base. Then you SLOWLY pop the glass off the actuator and mounting pegs. There's screws behind the glass that allow you to remove the painted cover pieces from the motor / actuator.

Originally Posted by LwdJdmR
hey so do yo have a copy of the wire write up?

I have a pair of CTR, relay, and switch with retractable.
they all have a pigtail.

i wanna wire them up. could you help me out.

thanks
I can make a quick write up, however if you wire your mirrors using my method you will NOT be able to adjust the glass up / down or left / right, you can ONLY power fold them in / out. Let me know if you still want the diagram and i'll make one up real quick.

Originally Posted by ohsnapzafingcu
if i ship you mine, would u mind charging me to do it?
To do what sir? Wiring? Swapping Bases?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that sounds good to me.

ill take it. Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a real quick one I made in paint. Just tap into the wires already on your harness and remember the colors.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

prelude mirrors and ctr mirrors share same part number??
Old 12-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91blksi
prelude mirrors and ctr mirrors share same part number??
The outer cover pieces ONLY, not the internals OR the base. Just the colored painted portion.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The outer cover pieces ONLY, not the internals OR the base. Just the colored painted portion.
oh ok...good write up and info
Old 12-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just thought i'd add that In Canada where i am we have the Acura 1.6EL (domani) adn the premium version of this car comes with the same mirror as the Ctr But it is non-folding and only fits a 4 door but the glass could be used and motors more than likely
Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 PM

To do what sir? Wiring? Swapping Bases?
swapping bases for me, and possible wiring with male and female connectors?..
i don't have patients for little stuff like this lol..
Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

swapping bases for me, and possible wiring with male and female connectors?..
i don't have patients for little stuff like this lol..
If you provide the necessary parts, I don't mind doing the labor portion.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great write up, I've had mine wired and installed for awhile now, but the angle is alil iffy. May just have to give this a shot.

If thats the case, than what are the odds the glass from the Prelude mirrors would work on the CTR's to correct the convex problem.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is their any way to wire these up to automatically fold when ignition is turned off?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White99EX
Great write up, I've had mine wired and installed for awhile now, but the angle is alil iffy. May just have to give this a shot.

If thats the case, than what are the odds the glass from the Prelude mirrors would work on the CTR's to correct the convex problem.
That's probably true. The integra glass works as well btw. I didn't bother to change the glass on mine because even though the convex / flat is swapped, I can still see cars perfectly on both sides of me

Originally Posted by brent_si
Is their any way to wire these up to automatically fold when ignition is turned off?
Yes, you could wire the input to the relay to any external trigger (ie. e-brake handle, etc.)
Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 PM

If you provide the necessary parts, I don't mind doing the labor portion.
cool beans! where can i get the manual fold mirrors at? the ones i need to swap parts with for my power folding mirrors?
Old 12-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool beans! where can i get the manual fold mirrors at? the ones i need to swap parts with for my power folding mirrors?
You can find them at robearracing OR a used set. I was fortunate to find a set for $80. The nice part about this how-to and process is that you can sell back the old set of manual fold mirrors and make your money back.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:47 PM

hey. i have a 96 civic. i already have a set of ctr mirrors... with the relay and switch. i tried to use the existing switch... but i can't get em to fold... i think i hooked up everythinggood.. the mirrors adjust fine, but i can't get them to fold. i think i put the extra wirings for the folding part... because the oem wiring already in the car make the mirrors adjust but the folding part i tried to do myself and it doesn't work... any light? i can send you pics of the switch ends if you want...

Quick Reply: **The ultimate how-to CTR power folding mirror install [the correct way]**