Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

***Stealership? It's been a while... Input please?***

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Stealership? It's been a while... Input please?***

My fellow HT'ers... I have not posted in this particular portion of HT in quite some time! A little background on myself, then on to the topic at hand... I am prior military, and am currently working for a company comparable to blackwater in the Middle East. I recently purchased a Honda Civic from a fellow HT'er, the entire process was handled online, and the actual transaction my wife took care of. My wife, great woman... bronze star holder, still active duty... amazing person (sorry no pics for now) but is entirely incapable of handling anything automotive related... moving on.

1994 Honda Civic EX coupe, great condition, 125k miles. The car needed the A/C fixed, oil change and alignment, and a new windshield. I was able to schedule an appointment online with Robertson Honda of Palmdale, CA. Their instructions were to diagnose the A/C, oil change and alignment, and an overall inspection fo the car. This is what they came up with =

A/C compressor replacement - $1,500
New Clutch - $500
timing belt and cover - $345
plugs, wires, fluids - $300
windshield - $195

I wish I was home to handle this, as I can conduct all the maintenance and replacement of clutch etc. with a case of beer and a friend to help. Unfortunately, I'm stuck here while the dealership rapes my wallet. What I would like to know is, is this a common price to charge for the replacement of an A/C compressor? The rest of it I expected, but $1,500 for the A/C... Wow
and replacing plugs, wires, and fluids for $300? Really?

BTW, the dealership is only replacing the windshield and A/C compressor, since the wife said there was no way she was going to be driving it around otherwise.

Let me find a pic, since I know peeps don't click on topics without them...

Old 08-30-2008, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ***Stealership? It's been a while... Input please?*** (tampabud)

The windshield price is pretty good actually. Is that installed btw?
The a/c compressor is very high. Go to hondaautomotiveparts.com or one of the many honda parts websites. You can order it and replace it yourself if your very handy. Just remember to get the system properly vacummed before you recharge it. Might as well get a new drier while your at it.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They got you on the A/C and the plugs wires fluid. Thats a good price for timing belt and windshield though.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in all actuality they should only charge you the price of the part and labor. if there is any way for you to call the stealership and ask them what there labor rate is and how long it takes to replace the a/c pump if needed or if it just needs to be recharged and price the parts. then you can calculate what it should cost, but also remember even if it takes 10 minutes to fix they will charge one 1 hour labor.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It was all rather unexpected, the price of the A/C repair... My wife won't drive the car without it so she is fine with them replacing and getting the A/C up and running. I am just saddened/shocked at the price. I'm positive it doesn't cost $1,300 in labor as I've found the right compressor for $160 shipped.

I'm assuming there is more to it than just replacing the compressor... I really posted this as more of a rant now that I think about it... the damage is done. I just can't believe I paid $2k for the car and the A/C repair is $1,500...

I still need the stereo installed, as there is currently no radio in the dash. I have never actually dealt with honda service before as I have done most of my own work for quite some time. I don't think I'll be using a dealership ever again for sure!

The service technician also stated to my wife the clutch had needed to be replaced because it was "that time" and that the trans bearing was going out...? I have done a couple motor swaps, installed a turbo on a B16, replaced entire suspensions, installed cam gears, etc... and have never heard of a trans bearing. Does such a thing exist? If so, I learned something. I understand that working in a service dept at a dealership you have to deal with a ton of vehicularly uneducated folk, I just hope this person isn't trying to pull a fast one.

Meh... more pics

Old 08-30-2008, 06:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tampabud &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
... and have never heard of a trans bearing. Does such a thing exist? If so, I learned something. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like the throwout bearing... if it needs to be replaced, you can definitely hear it being bad. Its a loud almost "knocking" sound i suppose you could say. Here, ill post a picture from google. I have replaced 3 throwout bearings personally, and im not a huge fan of it. haha but its almost standard that if you change the clutch, to change the throwout bearing as well. I sure would hate to see you pay all that money to have them drop the tranny once, and then end up paying them to drop it AGAIN! This picture below might help..
Old 08-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the A/C job include labor or is it just for the compressor, clutch, and coil? It seems pretty high IMO. Most of the A/C jobs I've seen range from around $900 - $1,200 in parts alone.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be the throw out bearing, didn't even think of that... I'm sure thats what my wife was told, and it was translated to me as the "trans bearing".
Old 08-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why don't you ask them what parts they want to install for the a/c.
if it's only the comp. they are trying to *** rape you. to bad i don't live near by, i'd fix on the side, and all the stuff they recommend is super easy.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah dude it sound like they took your wife for a ride. my buddy says max you should have paid is 950. but if they had to replace all the a/c lines and fixed mabey a switch or something like that, there is a slim(very slim) chance it MIGHT run you that much
Old 08-30-2008, 10:51 PM

Damn hate when the Dealership tries to rape people in the ***.

Hope everything works out price wise, good luck overseas! keep safe.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, if you do decide to use the dealer, ask for all the old parts they replaced. its the law they must give them to you.

i have seen a few dealers lower the price , sinc they know that they are dealing with an informed customer
Old 08-31-2008, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NastyHabitzCRX)

Thats rape. I work for dealership and there is no way compressor cost that much.

evac and recharge $180
Compressor is about $300 to $400
Old 08-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbocivic94)

If theres any way you can do anything yourself, do it. when I cant handle something luckily I have a good friend who works at a shop to help. Otherwise just threaten them a little or go somewhere else.