Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

******I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM. SHIFTER WONT MOVE.**********

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ******I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM. SHIFTER WONT MOVE.**********

ALRIGHT i put in my short throw shifter (ebay) into my 97 ex, i was on my old 96 cx hatch. i got it all bolted up and it hits my exhaust. it wont move side to side. help please i need the car for the morning and hopefully i can fix it tonight.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ******I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM. SHIFTER WONT MOVE.********** (jhonda239)

are you sure you didnt put it in backwards?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ******I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM. SHIFTER WONT MOVE.********** (jhonda239)

for a fix.. put your shifter back in it.. the old one that is, and ditch the ebay shifter
Old 07-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ******I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM. SHIFTER WONT MOVE.********** (vlc92189)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vlc92189 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for a fix.. put your shifter back in it.. the old one that is, and ditch the ebay shifter</TD></TR></TABLE>

YUP YUP
Old 07-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ebay short shifters .. my friend had one that snapped in half clean .. put your stock one back in if you really need your car in the morning... also check shiftlinkage. no reason why shifter shouldnt move side to side in N
Old 07-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ******I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM. SHIFTER WONT MOVE.********** (robble36)

Double up on everything everyone has said.

I was teaching someone how to drive a stick and it shattered at the bottom. Put the stock back in but kept the ****.

Check to see if it is backwards or that the exhaust did not move while assembly of stick.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ******I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM. SHIFTER WONT MOVE.********** (jawsiiv)

nvm. it was the exhaust/ heatshield. had to let the exhaust hang a little lower. the exhaust was redone by an exhaust shop and they positioned the hanger too high. i have to mess with it but i fixed it for now. BTW ebay short shifters arent that bad, first, they are only like 9 bucks, second ive had mine for over a year and this is its second car, third the reason they break is because people shift too harshley. the point of installing a short throw shifter (to me at least) is for the feel and so i dont have to shift fast and harsh. some ebay parts are garbage, but be honest some of the things that pro shops sell are usually priced.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You shouldnt have messed with ebay stuff..... ebay&gt;
Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ******I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM. SHIFTER WONT MOVE.********** (Jibin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jibin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You shouldnt have messed with ebay stuff..... ebay&gt; </TD></TR></TABLE>

useless. kill yourself(not really)
Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jhonda239 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nvm. it was the exhaust/ heatshield. had to let the exhaust hang a little lower. the exhaust was redone by an exhaust shop and they positioned the hanger too high. i have to mess with it but i fixed it for now. BTW ebay short shifters arent that bad, first, they are only like 9 bucks, second ive had mine for over a year and this is its second car, third the reason they break is because people shift too harshley. the point of installing a short throw shifter (to me at least) is for the feel and so i dont have to shift fast and harsh. some ebay parts are garbage, but be honest some of the things that pro shops sell are usually priced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

To be honest to everybody else, he has a point.

I buy K&N filters, but I buy my air intake pipes on ebay, if I didn't get a completely fu8k awesome deal on my header I woulda bought that on ebay too - this is because it's going on a stock Y8.

It's all based on what you need it for. I have a B&M shifter in my car, obviously good quality, but be honest, e-bay shifters are like anything else - you get what you pay for - if you shift like a ricer idiot with a 10 dollar shifter, IT'S GOING TO BREAK. If you shift fine, I've seen 'em last tons of time.

****, too bad my friend's too dumb to use the internet, he gets ebay parts for all his imports all the time and has no problems, he'd make all you guys wet your pants :shrugs:.

I'm not defending ebay - saying the ebay stores sell good parts or anything, but you have to look at what you have, look at what your cash, and look at what you're going to do with it. If you're not streeting your stock D series every Friday than an ebay shifter will work fine.

Some of you guys have brains - use them, don't just go with the grand consensus on things...
Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 PM

hey since you said that it fits your old civic it should fit you civic now, but maybe your piping now in your new civic is a stock one or a after market and its hitting your piping, try to lower your piping and see if that helps
Old 07-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ******I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM. SHIFTER WONT MOVE.********** (93excivic)

we have to remove the heatsheild but for right now we disconected the exhaust from one hanger.