Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

******Blown Head Gasket******* what to do???????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ******Blown Head Gasket******* what to do???????????

well I blew my first head-gasket today on my 94 ex coupe. One of the coolant hoses popped off the engine twice because it was so boiling hot. I managed to get it home and replace the hose. But once I took it for a test drive, the gasket leaked a little and is blown.
Don't know what to do, I'm short on cash. Figured I would at least ask you guys. Should I take it to a shop?? I don't want to get raped on labor. Or can this be replaced with a few friends and I in a day or so.

Where would you recommend I take it to get serviced.

-thanks for any help
Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ******Blown Head Gasket******* what to do??????????? (jakescakesz06)

This can be done in a few hours with a friend or 2 to help. Head gasket should be around $100. You really need to have a good shop manual a few hand tools a good torque wrench that will go from 0 to 60 ft lbs. it really is straight forward. First let me ask you have you check and replace you t stat made sure that the rest of the coolant system isn't the problem?

Edit: If you find for sure that it is the head gasket you really need to have the head checked by a machine shop and decked if need be
Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ******Blown Head Gasket******* what to do??????????? (instructor74)

^^^^what he said

it can definitely be done by yourself with a couple friends. Make sure you take it to a machine shop to get it checked and milled if needed. need to make sure it isnt warped from the abnormal heat.

you will also need to replace the thermostat. always replace your thermostat when replacing a blown head gasket.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to cause a problem but I have never replaced the thermostat went I replaced a head gasket. But then I mainly work with boosted D's.

You need to decide what you want to spend your money on.
Do you have a good set of tools?
Do have a manual?
You will need to buy, Head gasket $65.00, Anit-Freeze $8.00, Oil and Filter $15.00, then add the tools $200.00 for something you'll trust. Torque wrench 20-150ftlbs $85.00, You'll need to have the head checked by a shop $150.00 if it needs to be cut.

Do you have a jack and jack stands?

It's going to cast you one way or another.

If you plan to do most of your own maintenance from now on, you need to start somewhere.

Oh a hint, don't over tighten the valve covers bolts. They will break.

I'll also bet you'll find some of the head bolts loose. You may want to replace them also. More money.

If you decide to have the job done. ask around the people you work with who they take there cars to for repairs.

I didn't notice where you were from let us know may be one of us knows someone in your town.