Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

$600 98 Honda civic hatch project

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: $600 98 Honda civic hatch project

Congratulations! My Son is 16 and we recently picked up a salvaged 2000 Civic EX Coupe that's the same color. His Step-Dad restored the body, and I'm tasked with the rest. Keep posting what you do with yours as you work on it. His overheated and his solution to the motor not going over 35 was to floor it, so I swapped the motor last weekend.

If you'd be interested in seeing it, let me know.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NICE GUYS!!!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Loving all the support!!! just picked up some xxrs today for 450 with good tread. they are really wide so now I'm going to get a bolt on flare kit lol. i also need coilovers cause my stock shocks are dead so it keeps bottoming out but it'll be a while lol got a budget. parents don't pay for my crap but I'm happy cause i feel like it truly is mine. here is some pics!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have a vid of how wide it is running ill post that probably tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AshirogiHatake
nice! send some pics id be nice to see fellow teens working on projects lol
I have a build thread on Facebook because it's kinda easier then updating here since I'm on a mobile phone. Check it out!

www.facebook.com/z720027/
Old 09-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good deal on the Rims/Tires. Is there a lot offset or are they just extremely wide? They look very cool but I'm thinking you are going to have a lot of trouble with the tire hitting the Fender, you will rip thru those tires pretty quickly unless you can significantly stiffen the suspension. You could go for that stanced look and add a ton of camber to angle them so they don't hit. lol You can pick up a set of shocks and springs for under 200 from amazon or ebay. When I got my TL 17 inch rims on the Accord it was hitting bad so I picked up some skunk 2 coils to stiffen it up, you could always grab a set of ebay coilovers for under $50 to stiffen it up.

Its a good project, people always ask how I learned about cars, and its just like you, I got a car and started wrenching on it, now I hate the idea of someone else touching my car.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ISUBIEXI
Good deal on the Rims/Tires. Is there a lot offset or are they just extremely wide? They look very cool but I'm thinking you are going to have a lot of trouble with the tire hitting the Fender, you will rip thru those tires pretty quickly unless you can significantly stiffen the suspension. You could go for that stanced look and add a ton of camber to angle them so they don't hit. lol You can pick up a set of shocks and springs for under 200 from amazon or ebay. When I got my TL 17 inch rims on the Accord it was hitting bad so I picked up some skunk 2 coils to stiffen it up, you could always grab a set of ebay coilovers for under $50 to stiffen it up.

Its a good project, people always ask how I learned about cars, and its just like you, I got a car and started wrenching on it, now I hate the idea of someone else touching my car.
Theyre EXTREMELY wide. i didnt know that they were going to be that wide untill i put them on but oh well. It is currently hitting the crap out of the fender but i want to put a bolt on fender kit, make it look a little wider so i think id like the look anyways. Definetly not doing camber, i value tread life and dont get off on having cambered wheels lol. And as for shocks i plan on some yonaka coilovers when i get the money. ill probs get the fenders first tho because theyre cheaper and ill be able to actually drive it without it beating the crap out off the fender, then save up for the yonaka coils and stiffen the ride like no other so i can drop it some more.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh! i also picked up a brand new pioneer stereo, but i wont be able to put it on for a while. Family issues but ill have it on and post pics soon!

Thanks for the support guys!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you going to trim the fenders? You have to be careful, you could cut a channel in your tires and ruin them in a drive or 2 with them hitting. That has happened to me in the past, new tires almost ruined within a few days. My thought would honestly be to post those wheels online and if you are lucky make a profit on them. They are super clean but I would really think twice about keeping them on the car. Whats the tire size? They really don't look that wide, I'm thinking the offset is just wrong for the car. I usually end up spending more on tires than I do the rims.

I put a yonaka radiator in my wifes EK and its been great. Are you thinking on just sleeves or the full coilover set? I put a set of Spec-D Tuning lowering springs on my $650 project car and have 0 complaints about the ride. Front: 2.0" Drop & Rear: 1.65" Drop, Spring rate: front 230 lbs & rear 140 lbs. The Drop was exactly what I wanted. Its perfectly level front and back without the wheels being tucked. 76.99 on amazon with free shipping. You will need some spring compressors for the install and those were 32.99 on amazon. You wont be able to lower the car with those rims. The coil springs are a lot smoother then the coil over sleeves. I have Skunk 2 coil sleeves on my accord and they are a bit stiff, the skunk 2 springs on my wifes EK are much smoother. Its nice to be able to adjust the ride height but if you get the right set of springs you are good to go.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ISUBIEXI
Are you going to trim the fenders? You have to be careful, you could cut a channel in your tires and ruin them in a drive or 2 with them hitting. That has happened to me in the past, new tires almost ruined within a few days. My thought would honestly be to post those wheels online and if you are lucky make a profit on them. They are super clean but I would really think twice about keeping them on the car. Whats the tire size? They really don't look that wide, I'm thinking the offset is just wrong for the car. I usually end up spending more on tires than I do the rims.

I put a yonaka radiator in my wifes EK and its been great. Are you thinking on just sleeves or the full coilover set? I put a set of Spec-D Tuning lowering springs on my $650 project car and have 0 complaints about the ride. Front: 2.0" Drop & Rear: 1.65" Drop, Spring rate: front 230 lbs & rear 140 lbs. The Drop was exactly what I wanted. Its perfectly level front and back without the wheels being tucked. 76.99 on amazon with free shipping. You will need some spring compressors for the install and those were 32.99 on amazon. You wont be able to lower the car with those rims. The coil springs are a lot smoother then the coil over sleeves. I have Skunk 2 coil sleeves on my accord and they are a bit stiff, the skunk 2 springs on my wifes EK are much smoother. Its nice to be able to adjust the ride height but if you get the right set of springs you are good to go.
yea i thought about selling them but its up in the air rn ill either pull the fenders out or sell it, so i can drop it some more. i agree though i think the offset is wrong for my car something i dont really understand as well as id like too. but oh well so yup thats the plan im definetly going to drop it but i just hafta deal with the whole wheels problem first
Old 09-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Just add a wide body kit and that will fix the issue with the wide rims.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really like the rims, the tires look good too, its a shame they don't fit well. I had an extra set of 17s and when i put them on they were rubbing on the inner fenders. I was having a hard time finding the SI rims so i ended up ordering a fender roller tool but before that arrived i found the SI rims and they fit awesome without the fenders rolled. Keep at it and you will get it sorted.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright so guess who rolled the back fenders with a bat... me and now i can fit three fingers under there so it only scrapes going down my steep *** driveway. hopefully coilovers next, get a stiff one and drop it a bit so it looks somewhat flush. Or i get a type r lip kit to help cover up the ground clearance up front, because it just looks too high. I dont want to have to do a body kit unless i have to because itll look a little off with flares but i will if i have too. i also installed a new pioneer radio so the sound quality has improves drastically.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-26-2016, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This was the day i first picked up the wheels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-LE...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-27-2016, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The tires clear the fenders? If so that's awesome. I didn't think they would clear. Looking very cool
Old 10-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oneheadlight
yeah that oem kit from exedy is kind of "numb" feeling.. I just looked it up to remind myself. The other one is the stage 1 "racing" clutch, that looks more like the honda one. It's like $280 for the kit. It's the pressure plate on the one you got, it's just not stiff enough, it will work, but people have complained. Hey, for the price of $80 for what you got, at least the car can drive now. Honda's stuff is much more $$$ I just wanted to stock feel it's why I went with it. And yes it's very light (the $80 one).

cool.. glad I can give ya some tips of how to fix stuff. And if your shifter starts to get loose, it's the shifter bushings at the bottom of the shift rod (the one with the shift **** on it). I used Energy Suspension on the shifter stabilizer rod, honda rubber bushings on the shifter, it's smooth yet solid. Just letting ya know.
HOLY CRAP im having that problem now with the shifter lol thanks!
Old 10-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

guys ik its been a while lol but i got the radio in and a paycheck soon lol so heres the radio at least it sounds really good and i would definitely recommend it

Old 10-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AshirogiHatake
HOLY CRAP im having that problem now with the shifter lol thanks!
hey you're welcome! Yeah I figured you were about due for the same exact problems we all have over time. Kinda shows good engineering when you can predict WHEN the problems will happen. and yeah I never found aftermarket bushings for the shifter rod. Can find the stabilizer polyurethane though. Either way I actually like how it feels, it's solid, but not harsh. Kind of the best of both worlds.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

"added the hmo for street cred"
Old 10-17-2016, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey so i just bought $100 worth of ebay crap off some guy locally, its a mugen style lip, sped d fogs, short shifter, aftermarket wheel, eyelids (dont plan on using), and adjustable lowering springs (dont trust them so probably wont use them either). i put the fogs and the lip on so far. just have to finish the wiring for the fogs.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The fogs and the lip look pretty sweet, I wouldn't mind having those. What is the "aftermarket wheel"? Steering wheel?

I wouldn't be super worried about the adjustable springs, generally worst case scenario they are bouncy. If you do lower the car you end up having to deal with alignment issues and tire wear. Most likely it will look cooler lower but there's always a price to pay.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea its a rs type steering wheel or something. i might do yonaka coils tho im still thinking about how i want to lower it its troublesome. here are the fog lights all wired up tho!

Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay guys i kinda said ef it

im really thinking about getting a godspeed turbo kit for it, i know absolutely nothing about it, for my understanding i get different injectors, a hondata, and fuel pump. what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: $600 98 Honda civic hatch project