Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

Bought a 2018 Civic with 1,000+ miles leaking oil already

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 10:23 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 2018 Civic with 1,000+ miles leaking oil already

After driving it for a full four days, I had noticed A LOT of oil dripped onto the driveway. It must have been swirling around on the plate underneath the drain plug.
Took it back to the dealer and he had their mechanic put the car on the lift. After removing the plate covering the plug, the mechanic noticed right away the bolt for the plug was so loose he could turn it by hand. Their mechanic tightened it and cleaned up the oil all over the plate, then the mechanic noticed the original oil filter was replaced by a generic one and there was oil residue by the oil cap. The mechanic and I took out the dip stick and tested the oil levels a few times and they were still good. How can a car leaking so much oil still have good levels? Maybe the oil was filled too much and that ruined the oil filter and that was why that was replaced? Maybe this also accounts for the oil residue near the cap? Or the owner just had an idiot change the oil who did not properly torque the drain plug and missed the giant oil cap hole putting new oil in.

I was kind of pissed, but the dealer insisted I at least drive the car for another week. I work 6-7 days a week and really don't have the time now to shop for another car even if the dealer agreed to let me bring this one back for one of equal value. It's been another 4 days and not a drop of oil dripped, but still annoyed this car is practically brand new and there's already an issue with it. How do I know the plug wasn't stripped and the bolt will just loosen from vibrations in a month or so? Then I'm stuck with this issue, and I'm sure "user error" isn't covered under the warranty. The car itself drives smooth, just hope there was no engine damaged from past user.

Also without making another topic, I noticed there's some white stains on the insulation of the car hood. I just figured it's soap or something form the dealership detailing the car or salt or something. Never had a car with insulation on the hood.

Would you guys just take it back to the dealer? I have a sneaking suspicion the past owner just wanted to get rid of this car due to some issue they couldn't resolve. The carfax show nothing.

Why would someone ever need to change the oil after 1,000 miles? Best case scenario they were **** with their car and wanted to replace the oil to get rid of the metal particles, but AFAIK you're supposed to keep the break-in oil in a new vehicle for the first 3000 to 5000.

Thanks guys :D
Old 03-23-2019, 06:09 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Bought a 2018 Civic with 1,000+ miles leaking oil already

Originally Posted by ANewHondaOwner
After driving it for a full four days, I had noticed A LOT of oil dripped onto the driveway. It must have been swirling around on the plate underneath the drain plug.
Took it back to the dealer and he had their mechanic put the car on the lift. After removing the plate covering the plug, the mechanic noticed right away the bolt for the plug was so loose he could turn it by hand. Their mechanic tightened it and cleaned up the oil all over the plate, then the mechanic noticed the original oil filter was replaced by a generic one and there was oil residue by the oil cap. The mechanic and I took out the dip stick and tested the oil levels a few times and they were still good. How can a car leaking so much oil still have good levels? Maybe the oil was filled too much and that ruined the oil filter and that was why that was replaced? Maybe this also accounts for the oil residue near the cap? Or the owner just had an idiot change the oil who did not properly torque the drain plug and missed the giant oil cap hole putting new oil in.

I was kind of pissed, but the dealer insisted I at least drive the car for another week. I work 6-7 days a week and really don't have the time now to shop for another car even if the dealer agreed to let me bring this one back for one of equal value. It's been another 4 days and not a drop of oil dripped, but still annoyed this car is practically brand new and there's already an issue with it. How do I know the plug wasn't stripped and the bolt will just loosen from vibrations in a month or so? Then I'm stuck with this issue, and I'm sure "user error" isn't covered under the warranty. The car itself drives smooth, just hope there was no engine damaged from past user.

Also without making another topic, I noticed there's some white stains on the insulation of the car hood. I just figured it's soap or something form the dealership detailing the car or salt or something. Never had a car with insulation on the hood.

Would you guys just take it back to the dealer? I have a sneaking suspicion the past owner just wanted to get rid of this car due to some issue they couldn't resolve. The carfax show nothing.

Why would someone ever need to change the oil after 1,000 miles? Best case scenario they were **** with their car and wanted to replace the oil to get rid of the metal particles, but AFAIK you're supposed to keep the break-in oil in a new vehicle for the first 3000 to 5000.

Thanks guys :D
Lemon law, dude... SEND IT BACK! GO THROUGH THE WORK TO GET ANOTHER CAR