Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

AC eye irritation

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 02:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC eye irritation

Hi just trying to get an idea of where to start.

I have a 2017 honda civic and I am the only owner. Just for the past few months I've been noticing that when I have the AC on, for only the first few minutes, the AC really burns/causes eye irritation and then after a while doesn't. This happens with almost every start up I can think of. There is no perceivable changes in smell/odors. The AC itself appears to work just fine being able to cool or heat. I just changed the cabin and air filter yesterday and the problem still persists. I don't notice any leaks from my car or anythiing else wrong with it, everything works just fine from what I know.

Any thoughts would be great!
Old 08-05-2022, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Re: AC eye irritation

Have you noticed the issue consistently after you changed the in cabin air filters 2-3 weeks ago? There might be some sort of pollen or allergy that you have which is circulating through the air ducts, and before you changed the air filter it was in there a lot, and only one day after changing your air filter, particles are still stuck in there.
I’ve had someone with eye irritation on a non-Honda, and the in cabin air filter was full of dust and pollens.
You should double check your new in cabin air filter for particles it recently picked up, and then shop-vacuum out your car, especially the air ducts. It might just be a seasonal problem and a bunch of particles are in your air ducts. It’s doesn’t seem like it’s your air conditioner causing the problem, unless your AC is leaking Freon, in which situation you would notice a temperature increase within a few weeks.