Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Why No Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why No Type R?

Originally Posted by K5^
Yeah, beyond the ITR's short lived release in the states, it's not going to happen for a long time.
Maybe never again, the Type R might be Honda history. The 9th generation of the civic in Japan will only be a hybrid. Meanwhile we will have gas powered civics, given Hondas history I see no reason for the North American market to have a gas powered Type R while Japan doesn't. Personally I'm not holding my breath on a potential CRZ Si/Type R model, they market it as a sports hybrid end of discussion. Honda axed the ITR in 2006, so obviously their will never be another ITR unless they resurrect it from the dead. Same goes for the NSX.

The 2008 Mugen Si was a farce. A ridiculously overpriced FBP FA5 with nice wheels and ground effects. A wing, shift ****, stiffened up the suspension a bit, as far as I know the chassis was never further reinforced. They werent individually numbered, and it generally only sells to enthusiests. Well we all knew that you could buy all that extra **** on the Mugen and put it on a regular FBP FA5 for less. Thats why they sold like garbage, it took dealers forever to get rid of them.

Now some people have said nobody would spend 25k or more on a Type R, well I disagree. My FA5 was something like 24k and some change and 30.5k with tax. For an extra 1k or 2k I would have bought a Type R. And yes even though it wouldn't have navigation
Old 09-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if the Type R is dead those of you who own one should take a great deal care into them as if they were ferrari's. Its sad seeing a type r in the hands of an idiot
Old 09-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My thoughts exactly. Since I purchased my R I've sourced the complete OEM Exhaust system and other original pieces. The Integra Type-R will be one sweet collectible in a few more years and their a blast to drive, jeje!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are there any official news from Japan Honda about 9th gen Civic? Only hybrid?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Given the whole hybrid fad, definitely don't see a type r in the future for a long while
Old 09-23-2010, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After further reading It doesnt seem the k20 is long for Hondas world let alone the type R. Its loosing the battle of emissions

I did however enjoy the one posters link to the tuner mags editorial and hey even if the k20 goes out of style hey we got one ! I choose honda because thats the brand that first gave me goosebumps back in the crx days , My friend had one he thought it was awsome pretty soon so did I

I still want a s2000 it doesnt matter to me that the s2000 is dead and the f20/f22 is a dead end engine . Hell I just love hondas I dont like what honda america has given us but our SI seems better than the British type R they even did a top gear and fifth gear episode on how lame the Brit type R is compared to the Japanse Type R (fifth Gear ) and the prior edition of the type R in England is better than the current(Top gear)

But as many people have said here the performance era of honda is again over its up to us to engine swap/tune and stay....... or go buy some other brands boosted stuff.

And finialy yea I do agree that the accountants now run honda but I strongly disagree that there is no one inside honda that shares our point of view , Have you seen this honda power of dreams comercail ? As with most things I dont think its for the USDM but I feel its hondas way of telling us maybe, not this year,not next year and maybe not even this decade (There are a buttload of vintage hondas in the comercail ) but they will be back some day .

Ill be there waiting with my tuned FA5 and god (and the economy)willing maybe a s2000 too

Honda for me = naturaly aspirated good times

Oh heres the comercail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGy275U2rCk

To me its Honda saying we will be back

To bear with unbearable sorrow is this hybrid era IMO

To fight the unfightable foe is the accountants who control honda now
There telling us honda will be back ,the cars,bikes ect are out there now
Have some pataince
Honda will be back !
Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have to agree like most that it sucks we dont have civic type r in the states but the several that ive seen here in germany including a soldier that has one on our army post, are effing B.A. the best thing you could do to get yer hands on one is get dual citizenship move to europe and own one lol. but even then im sure they are somewhat difficult to get yer hands on. the roads here are dominated with vw's, bmw's, audis and mercedes. there are a few junkyard sin the area that ive tried searching out parts for the euro crx i have here and in the far back corner were only 2 96-00 euro spec hatches with 1.4l motors. the rest was bmws pretty much. anyways thought id throw my experience in here.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this apply to Japan as well?
No more Type R in Japan, no VTEC engine, only hybrid Civic? = ="
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vtec777
Well if the Type R is dead those of you who own one should take a great deal care into them as if they were ferrari's. Its sad seeing a type r in the hands of an idiot
Hah, only the Clean Titled low-mid mileage type R's are really worth something to cherish IMO.

Most shells/Gutted/Salvaged titled R's are now put to use on the track use or swaped with K's with what it was meant to be used for.

I give it another 10 years and the R's will be something rare to see.

Wonder how many people in the states are garaging their R's now.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

may be they would bring it to the U.S.A if people learned to shift and not over rev the car, some.....alot people can even handle a si .... just gos to show u some people have more money then common sence
Old 09-28-2010, 06:40 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by honda fossil
may be they would bring it to the U.S.A if people learned to shift and not over rev the car, some.....alot people can even handle a si .... just gos to show u some people have more money then common sence
Was that one sentence?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K5^
Was that one sentence?
LMAO!.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is one more opinion why you will never see a Honda Civic Type-R in the states.

1. To make the car 50 state smog legal, they would have to total tune down the motor.

2. In the States, Honda is mostly considered an economy car, not a performance car. Not long ago I was searching for 2010 Civic SI FG2. I found very few available but lots of Civic LX and Non-SI's. I had a discussion with the owner of the local Honda dealership and he stated that the people who come in looking for a Honda, are looking for a dependable economy car. The few SI's that are at the dealer (at least in my area) and marked up with a premium for those of us who want a little performance for our daily driver.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It would probably cost way too much and plus Honda is headed toward a more eco-friendly direction, so we're probably never going to see one. Maybe a CRZ Type R, if anything, hehe.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bottom line is that Honda wouldnt be able to sell as many as they needed to. Look at the Mugen SI which was way over priced and some dealerships couldnt sell them at all.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just read on TG magazine (HK ver.), Eur Honda will still build a civic Type R. And Turbo Type R is under consideration too.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Type R has been a dying breed for many years, I doubt Honda will ever release another in North America. In the final year of the ITR only 250 were released in Canada.

I`m okay with no Type R though, lets not forget Honda has the best after market support of any manufacturer; so if I can`t buy a Type R, I`ll just build an equivalent.