Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Who here has a VAFC2 in their Si. (A'pexi)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who here has a VAFC2 in their Si. (A'pexi)

I just got one locally used.
I'm gonna have a friend install it.

The unit is attached to this middle part where you can unplug....then this is attached by a couple feet long strands of wire to this part where he cut it off from his car:

From what some guy is saying, I can just unplug the middle part, and just plug that into the ECU.

(which i believe is under our hood?!) how in the heck am i gonna get it in there?

So, apparently with this I can get MORE power using LESS fuel. I'm told that our engine will run a little hotter than normal, but it will be fine.

Also, I'm told that our engine has a safety feature that will prevent leaning out the fuel too much (reducing fuel injection too much--which would blow the engine in most other cars).

So the theory behind it is, the engine runs really rich -- way too much fuel for safety...and thus loses power.

He says if I drive it like I normally do, or granny it--I could very well get even over 40mpg.................

As far as credibility goes-- this guy's pretty smart... had an mp3 player in his car before anyone else--controlled it with a NUM pad keyboard....went to UW, lives in Seattle... L-dawg knows him as a owner/admin of a certain Counterstrike server ... he builds engines, swaps engines, does all of his own car work and mods, has done a ton of auto X and goes to those advanced driving schools at like SCCA and stuff..... He currently drives a GSR, b/c his last one was stolen, and his s2000 was stolen as well. Every inspiration/idea about cars has come from him so far--including the Valentine 1 radar detector ;P

And yes, he's constantly telling me how noob I am. Also, he is constantly telling me to READ THE F*CKING MANUAL And he won't help me with this install

Although he's a good friend of mine, please feel free to bash on him and discredit him He needs to be pwned by someone some of the time cuz he still is a cocky bastard!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Who here has a VAFC2 in their Si. (hyogen)

what mods do you have done to your car?

i can tell you right now you should sell it back to whoever you bought it from. vafc is in essence useless on our cars

the engine will run hotter? vafc does not modify the cooling system so what proof does he have to back that theory up?

honda spent millions of dollars tuning this Si to get it perfect. both for fuel economy and performance
Old 01-08-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Who here has a VAFC2 in their Si. (honda06si)

i've done 0 mods.

ok so maybe i'm mis-relaying some stuff my friend said. haha he's getting pissed -_-

he didn't say 40+, but with weight reduction, proper driving, diff tires, etc YES possibly even more than 40+ mpg.

ANYONE OUT THERE USING THE VAFC2? It works with i-vtec u know
Old 01-08-2007, 10:01 PM

i got more MPG when i had just aem cai and greddy cat back
Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 PM

anyway with the vafc, our cars run in closed loop all the way to 3800 rpms? somewhere in there and i think basically you could only tune the way your car idles and drives up to that point.

im not 100% sure how it goes but something like that
Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 PM

how is your MPG now that you have the hondata reflash...
Old 01-08-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: (hyogen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hyogen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how is your MPG now that you have the hondata reflash...</TD></TR></TABLE>

id say i get average of 10mpg
Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: (honda06si)

what.........the............expletive
Old 01-08-2007, 10:52 PM

06 si NHBP
skunk 2 cat back
hondata IMG
comptech ss
oem fogs
hfp lip kit
augger resources shift boot
tein s-techs
AJP turbo kit
Old 01-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda06si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the engine will run hotter? vafc does not modify the cooling system so what proof does he have to back that theory up?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

he said adding less fuel will make the car run better which means it will be runing more lean than rich in terms making the motor hotter.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Who here has a VAFC2 in their Si. (FERIOkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FERIOkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

he said adding less fuel will make the car run better which means it will be runing more lean than rich in terms making the motor hotter.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

makes no sense
Old 01-08-2007, 11:15 PM

putting less fuel into the engine will in no way shape or form make the car run better.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 PM

http://www.prostreetonline.com...fc_ii/

it makes it more efficient... more power with less fuel. apparently all stock cars run extremely rich which RETARDS the power........ so less fuel to a certain extent will give you better power, better efficiency. get it?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:22 AM
NO MERCY!

Sounds a little confusing to me, but then again I'm no car expert!

Would that help my situation out? I have DCRH and dealer's are tellin me that my car is runnin lean
Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 AM

Alright, f* it, it's always nice to have a guinea pig for these experiments, now you can't just plug the V-AFC 2 into the back of your ECU, it's just not possible. You have to splice the wires, and let me tell you, it's a pain in the ***. And while your at it, follow this as a wire guide for which wire is which on the V-AFC 2:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfWiring/12.pdf

I know, it's sideways, whatever. Ummmm, also don't guess at the placing of the wires on the ECU because you'll only f* up your engine. And don't use previous year civic ECU diagrams, because this ECU is new and wired different. I'll post up the wiring diagram when I get a chance.... today possibly, maybe tomorrow.... and before you crank over your engine, go over the initial setup on the unit, you don't want it to think your car is a 6 cyl, running AT.... not cool, and it'll have a portion where it asks about vtec or not.... obviously you'll select vtec. I'll get back to you tonight on the wiring of the ECU.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 AM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (elklodgeezra)

Well I pretty much stopped reading after "splicing wires". Not losing my warranty over that.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:55 AM

Yeah, well, sometimes you must sacrifice. And hell, if you ever need to take it in, take the thing off..... and use a sh*t load of electrical tape to cover it up...
Old 01-09-2007, 04:57 AM
NO MERCY!

Yeah i'll wait a while for all the aftermarket companies to figure out the Si and when my warranty is up. Then i'll go to work.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 AM

It's more fun to hack up the car now.... it's a gamble.... you never know what'll void what part of your warranty.... (j/k)
Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

VAFC's are absolutely USELESS and I pity any retard who is willing to hack up their stock harness in order to install a piggy-back fuel management system on a brand new, STOCK car... I'm pretty sure that the fuel and timing maps have been engineered extremely well from the factory. Why bother trying to trick sensors and change things around.?

If you're running a turbo ZC in a CRX then maybe I could understand installing a VAFC2 for "fuel management", but on an 06 Civic is 100% ridiculous Using electrical tape in order to cover up the splicing would NOT work ...most [ competant ] dealerships would spot something like that from a mile away.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:04 AM

/\ He has a point. But at the same time, wouldn't you rather have a stand alone management system rather than a piggyback?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elklodgeezra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">/\ He has a point. But at the same time, wouldn't you rather have a stand alone management system rather than a piggyback?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Obviously standalone would be a better choice, IE Hondata re-flash but we're not talking about standalone we're talking about this junk-*** Apexi unit
Old 01-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda06si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">putting less fuel into the engine will in no way shape or form make the car run better.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh i never said what he said made sence

i just said that somebody told him that adding less fuel will make his car run a little better by adding less fuel which is what will make the motor run hotter

i totally agree that it makes non sence at all and her should forget about a VAFC-2 all together
Old 01-09-2007, 07:57 AM

Well, if it's installed and tuned properly you may be able to get a possible 5 HP out of it..... but you also have to change the vtec engagement point.... not encouraged or recommended, but you can do it....
Old 01-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elklodgeezra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, if it's installed and tuned properly you may be able to get a possible 5 HP out of it..... but you also have to change the vtec engagement point.... not encouraged or recommended, but you can do it....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. POSSIBLE being the key-word and thats only after dyno tuning( = Extra $$$) and the major fact of voiding a new car warranty for 5hp. As I orignally said, VAFC's are TOTAL junk

Quick Reply: Who here has a VAFC2 in their Si. (A'pexi)