Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Troubleshooting noise on 2011 Civic after bearing change

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 05:29 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting noise on 2011 Civic after bearing change

Hi All,

New to the forum so I apologize if i'm breaking any rules. I'm jumping on here because my knowledge in repairs is pretty limited and this has gone right over my head. I'll be calling my mechanic and bringing it in later today but figured i'd see what I could find out on the internet to reduce troubleshooting time.

As the title says i'm getting some noises coming from the front passenger side on my 2011 Civic which I will try to explain as best I can. To start, over the last few weeks I was hearing this odd tick or clicking sound which soon was drowned out by a rather consistent "Jet Engine" noise that would reach its peak when driving around 60mph. Earlier this week I brought the car in and my mechanic changed the front passenger side bearing. The car drove smoother and the "Jet Engine" noise was gone.

Last night I was taking a spin and started hearing this ticking/clicking while driving straight, on sharp turns to the right i'd hear a sharp whining sound and if I was breaking while turning it would intermittently seize up in the same way your car does when you brake while skidding on snow. That violent crunchy sound. Sorry for these awfully untechnical descriptions! I did a little research online last night and from my limited knowledge I found a few possibilities. It could be the new bearing wasn't seated correctly. It could be that I also need to replace the Driver side bearing ( but why would I hear the noise so clearly on the passenger side?). It could be my CV joint Axle.

I took some notes this morning to get a more detailed idea of whats happening while driving. Here they are!

2011 Civic
90522 miles
Passenger side Bearing replaced 4/18

5-20 mph: Passenger front rattle sound. With window open it almost sounds like i'm rolling on a flat tire.

20-30 mph: Starts to sound more like grinding rather than rolling flat

30-40 mph: Can't hear anything. Not sure if the issue is intermittent or it's just being drowned out by cabin and car at those speeds.

60-80 mph: Window closed. Hear a faint sort of crackling sound that is pretty consistent. Again not sure if this is that same noise being altered by my environment at those speeds.

I'll note again that it's definitely weird to break while taking sharp turns. Sometimes it's just a whining sound, other times it's that full lock up I mentioned above.

Not sure if I over or under explained, but any suggestions would be great. Thanks!