Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Ride quality / road noise in SI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride quality / road noise in SI?

Simple as that, i'm looking for a quality daily driver and the ride comfort / road noise is an issue for me. Just looking for some input
Old 10-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Tickle-shits

Default Re: Ride quality / road noise in SI? (ThinkRevolution)

It is a little noisy at a 70 mph cruise but not enough to bother, I have driven mine half way across the country and it was very enjoyable. Get the Si, you'll never look back.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ride quality / road noise in SI? (Tokyosmash!)

if you define ride quality as how smooth it react to the rough road, this car is one of the worst in ride quality because you'll feel every single little thing on the road. Sometime the bump on the freeway throws me up and my hair can touch the roof. If there is a crack on the road, you'll feel it if one of your tire goes over it.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

windows up, no roadnoise. the ride is a lot stiffer than a normal car, but isnt that expected????

Old 10-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redciv)

stiff suspension doesnt really bother me, my weekend warrior is a VR4 thats 3" off the ground, lets just say over a speed bump the springs hardly even compress.

However, after driving around my 92 CX for a year , i'm yearning for something friendlier with some pep for a DD. Obviously the SI is a fantastic car. However, more then anything i want to be able to hear the stereo without putting it up to max, or actually be able to hear a phone conversation.

A more comfortable suspension is just a +
Old 10-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ThinkRevolution)

I don't have an SI, but my LX drives pretty nice for what I wanted.
I drive it 100 miles a day with 60% freeway and 40% stop and go. I get 36-39mpg and find it very comfortable on the hour and a half drive home. It does have some road noise but not anything bad where you have to turn up the radio.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:44 PM

go test drive it maybe? just a thought.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:24 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (ThinkRevolution)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThinkRevolution &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stiff suspension doesnt really bother me, my weekend warrior is a VR4 thats 3" off the ground, lets just say over a speed bump the springs hardly even compress.

However, after driving around my 92 CX for a year , i'm yearning for something friendlier with some pep for a DD. Obviously the SI is a fantastic car. However, more then anything i want to be able to hear the stereo without putting it up to max, or actually be able to hear a phone conversation.

A more comfortable suspension is just a +</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh good....cause that's exactly what you're going to get with the Si. The Si is a good daily driver and is fairly forgiving on the highway noise. But it IS a sports coupe and was engineered for performance enthusiasts in mind.....not just for your average Joe.

Hearing the radio or talking on the phone won't be too much of a hastle....but don't expect wonders. Remember it's not a friggin Lexus or Mercedes....it was built for handling so naturally it's gonna hug the road....so you'll feel bumps alot more than you would on a luxury car.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stereo volume and phone conversations should be no problem in the si. i have a 94 cx and my 07 si (coupe if that matters) is much quieter inside.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i personally don't recommend it. you'll be back at the dealership so many times to first fix the 3rd gear, then 2 or 3 more to fix all the annoying creaks and rattles that the poor build quality has created. Nice car, but I never expected any honda to have such poor build quality.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ride quality / road noise in SI? (Cass-anova)

love the car but the ride quality is harsh
Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Ride quality / road noise in SI? (E-Money)

Ride is a little stiff but road noise is minimal compared to say a DC2.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:42 AM
NO MERCY!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cass-anova &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i personally don't recommend it. you'll be back at the dealership so many times to first fix the 3rd gear, then 2 or 3 more to fix all the annoying creaks and rattles that the poor build quality has created. Nice car, but I never expected any honda to have such poor build quality.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny guy. I've been to the dealership ONCE to fix the 3rd gear issue (which is just a tranny fluid switch), and ONCE to fix the noise coming from the back by my window. No problems since.

Poor build quality?? Get ur facts straight....all cars have minor issues here and there.....you're talking down on a car that was Motortrend's Car of the Year and part of a chain ranked #1 in reliability.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cass-anova &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i personally don't recommend it. you'll be back at the dealership so many times to first fix the 3rd gear, then 2 or 3 more to fix all the annoying creaks and rattles that the poor build quality has created. Nice car, but I never expected any honda to have such poor build quality.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, just because you had problems, does not mean every car is going to be a problem. I have had mine for almost 2 years without any real problems. Yes, I had a 3rd gear issue, but that was fixed with an oil change. Yes there is recall on the rear wheel bearings, but that is a 10 minute inspection.

If your buying a new car, the wheel bearings are already taken care of, as is the 3rd gear issue since they are now using the newer MTF in the cars.

Personally, I think you would be hard pressed to find any sport compact with that performance this vehicle offers, priced in this range, that will not have a couple of little issues.

I have friends with Mazda Speed3's, Volkswagon GTI's and EVO's. In every case they have had more issues with their cars than I have had in my SI.

Sorry you have had some any issues, and your opinion is so tanted.

To answer the poster,

The ride is a rougher then the accord, but the road noise is not bad with the stock tires. You will love the handling and power this car provides stock. In my case, the road noise is a liitle worse with the Eagle F1's, but with the windows up it is not noticable. Exhaust noise is also noticiable when your in Vtec at high RPM.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had no problems with my daily driven 06 Si. I haven't had to take it to the dealer for anything other than oil changes and the recall inspection. It's lowered with comptech springs and even then the ride is comfortable for daily driving. I have no interior rattles either.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ride quality / road noise in SI? (RICO_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RICO_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Funny guy. I've been to the dealership ONCE to fix the 3rd gear issue (which is just a tranny fluid switch), and ONCE to fix the noise coming from the back by my window. No problems since.

Poor build quality?? Get ur facts straight....all cars have minor issues here and there.....you're talking down on a car that was Motortrend's Car of the Year and part of a chain ranked #1 in reliability.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey, "funny guy", I'm just giving my opinion so you don't have to be so sarcastic. Chill.
Anyways, I said you would be there FIRST to get the third gear fixed, not numerous times for that same thing . I got the third gear fixed the first time, next took it in to get the popping taken care of, and now it's popping again (so I gotta go in for a third time soon and for the creaking sunroof now too). You need to get <U>your</U> facts straight, as numerous people keep having this recurring problem (look at all the posts https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2132050). Maybe you were lucky to not have the same recurring problem, but with Honda's history, I expect more of them (this is my 3rd new Honda, and only the Si has had this many problems). If you don't mind the high probability of going to the dealership 3+ times, then by all means get the Si. If I did this over again, I really wouldn't bother. Again, it's all your call, but the car is still a helluva good time when it isn't at the dealership.

Modified by Cass-anova at 12:29 AM 10/30/2007
Old 10-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ride quality / road noise in SI? (Hellzcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hellzcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dude, just because you had problems, does not mean every car is going to be a problem. I have had mine for almost 2 years without any real problems. Yes, I had a 3rd gear issue, but that was fixed with an oil change. Yes there is recall on the rear wheel bearings, but that is a 10 minute inspection.

If your buying a new car, the wheel bearings are already taken care of, as is the 3rd gear issue since they are now using the newer MTF in the cars.

Personally, I think you would be hard pressed to find any sport compact with that performance this vehicle offers, priced in this range, that will not have a couple of little issues.

I have friends with Mazda Speed3's, Volkswagon GTI's and EVO's. In every case they have had more issues with their cars than I have had in my SI.

Sorry you have had some any issues, and your opinion is so tanted.

To answer the poster,

The ride is a rougher then the accord, but the road noise is not bad with the stock tires. You will love the handling and power this car provides stock. In my case, the road noise is a liitle worse with the Eagle F1's, but with the windows up it is not noticable. Exhaust noise is also noticiable when your in Vtec at high RPM.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't get me wrong, it is a still a real fun car. However, I still expect more from Honda. Definately compared to anything else it has the least amount of issues, but with my history with Honda, I (and numerous others) never expected all these bugs to occur. Of course it will not happen on EVERY Si, but it is quite likely (at least for any remaining 07's) something is gonna pop up.