Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Rear upper control arm.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear upper control arm.

I know a while back the TSB for upper control arm problems came out for all non si models... Well ive got an 07 si sedan with 46k 2nd set of tires and im ready to do something about it. I know honda isnt going to help so im not planing on calling HOA for something they screwed up on.

My question is what should i do. buy an after market control arm or get the new control arm from honda? What brand to stay away from or what to buy. Im not going to be racing the car so i dont need the biggest baddest beast out there.

forgive me if this has been covered. I havent been online in a while and really the search got me nowhere.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear upper control arm.

i didnt know they made control arms for our civics

as far i know, they make rear camber arms if thats what your talking about?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thats it.... i guess its a whole kit they put on. I was wondering if anyone here has installed an after market kit or if anyone had their car fixed by honda what difference it made?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the skunk2 ones. they're wonderful.
i would suggest just getting aftermarket ones.
its gonna be a hassle for you to go to honda.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the way to go... ive never had bad things to say about skunnk2.... ill check it out... what did you pay for the rear pair?
Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic1234
sounds like the way to go... ive never had bad things to say about skunnk2.... ill check it out... what did you pay for the rear pair?
if i tell you, i'd have to kill you.

u can get em pretty cheap here

http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...673/index.html
Old 08-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SPC makes some too, the go for 275 on corsport. That includes shipping, either way you can't go wrong.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot guys. Ill be picking a kit up here shortly.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

let me guess camber wear on your si? supposingly honda made the si like that for handling reasons.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 AM

Ive been dropped on Eibach sportline for over 2 years and have been comtemplating getting the Skunk 2 shocks/struts would it be a better idea to get the Skunk2 camber set instead or purchase both? Not sure if the uncomfortable ride im feeling is the fact ive been dropped so far on stock strut/shocks or if its the same issue here that the Op is having any thoughts?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm dropped on Tein S-Techs. After I went through a set of Azenis in less than a year I decided to pick up a set of Skunk2 Camber arms. they're very easy to put on, 3 bolts if I remember right. I got them adjusted to roughly where they looked normal then took it to a shop and had them do a full alignment for 50 bucks. My front wheels were almost in OEM specs after a drop believe it or not.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM

go ingalls or spc.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic1234
I know a while back the TSB for upper control arm problems came out for all non si models... Well ive got an 07 si sedan with 46k 2nd set of tires and im ready to do something about it. I know honda isnt going to help so im not planing on calling HOA for something they screwed up on.

My question is what should i do. buy an after market control arm or get the new control arm from honda? What brand to stay away from or what to buy. Im not going to be racing the car so i dont need the biggest baddest beast out there.

forgive me if this has been covered. I havent been online in a while and really the search got me nowhere.
I am not sure why you wouldn't just take the car in for the TSB honda should cover it for you. If your car falls in the vin numbers in question oh well its your money
Old 08-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by instructor74
I am not sure why you wouldn't just take the car in for the TSB honda should cover it for you. If your car falls in the vin numbers in question oh well its your money
I talked to honda... They said the TSB is for all non si models. It would have cost me 80 bucks to check my alignment and even after that they said i would have to buy the new camber parts (forgot what they said) it was around $300 installed.

I had my alignment done with a private shop that I use for my company vehicles (cheaper and i know the guy) I rather just buy aftermarket instead of giving honda a load of ****. its like someone said. honda might have done that for handling purposes. who knows. I waited this long so I cant really get mad at anyone.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:49 PM

Icon2 Re: Rear upper control arm.

I have heard rumors of a set of rear upper control arms available for around $160 $180 range with the required flange bolts as mentioned in the TSB, anyone know where?

I just last week purchased an Atomic Blue 2006 Civic coupe EX with 40,000 miles and the Honda dealership I got the car from has basically told me to take a hike. My right rear camber looks to be near -5 or -6%, bad, and dont wish to wear out the brand new set of tires. I love the car though. My third Civic in a row
Old 09-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the si's were excluded from the tsb werent they?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 PM

Yes
Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^i knew it.

do u really have a 1000hp trans am
Old 09-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have installed the skunk2 camber kits on the si's and they work great.
and yeah the Si's dont apply to the s/b for the upper control arms. but you can use the same procedure we use for when we install them. we loosen up pretty much all the rear suspension points and using a prybar move the suspension to help with camber and toe. then realign everything.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_DOHC
^i knew it.

do u really have a 1000hp trans am

Yes I do, and you have a sweet lookin Blue SI

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/Texasvortex/

Last edited by texasvortex; 09-13-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 PM

I don't post here much but I have this same problem. I bought a 2006 Civic EX with 35,600 miles (out of warrantee). The dealer found that my rear upper control arm was bad and wouldn't cover it under warrantee. I then called American Honda Motors and they said they wouldn't cover it because I bought the car "as is" from another dealer. That is true but I feel that it should be Honda's responsibility to correct their product's known defect. This type of thing could potentially become a safety hazard to some of the higher mileage 06/07 Civic owners who may not notice the problem and drive around on unsafe tires.

I'm still going to give them one more call before I just give in and pay to fix the problem before the tires get worse. Along with new tires, this is going to cost over $1000.

Other than that though, I love my 2006 Civic EX. I can't wait for the sunvisor to explode! At least that's a cheap fix!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by texasvortex
Yes I do, and you have a sweet lookin Blue SI

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/Texasvortex/

oh thats dope. how about you come to cali and take me for a ride =]
wait how do u know what my car looks like? lol

Originally Posted by jimdab
I don't post here much but I have this same problem. I bought a 2006 Civic EX with 35,600 miles (out of warrantee). The dealer found that my rear upper control arm was bad and wouldn't cover it under warrantee. I then called American Honda Motors and they said they wouldn't cover it because I bought the car "as is" from another dealer. That is true but I feel that it should be Honda's responsibility to correct their product's known defect. This type of thing could potentially become a safety hazard to some of the higher mileage 06/07 Civic owners who may not notice the problem and drive around on unsafe tires.

I'm still going to give them one more call before I just give in and pay to fix the problem before the tires get worse. Along with new tires, this is going to cost over $1000.

Other than that though, I love my 2006 Civic EX. I can't wait for the sunvisor to explode! At least that's a cheap fix!
just get skunk2 rear camber arms and new tires and call it a day.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:41 PM

wait how do u know what my car looks like? lol
One click on your screename
Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the si's were excluded from the tsb werent they?
they were excluded, however, the 08 si's did get the new arms.

as for correcting the camber, i got the cheap ingalls kit for the back and haven't had any issues yet after 12k miles. http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=3339
Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ASK HONDA!!
I had the same issue, and I went to the local dealer, had the problem diagnosed, and called American Honda. They gave me a case number and it was approved. They offered to cover 75% of the repair cost, before they realized I had purchased the extended Hondacare warranty when I bought the car. Once I mentioned I had Hondacare they said oh, then your repairs should be covered 100%.
I got an entire new rear upper control arm set, they did not cover the tire damage which is fine, but they did cover the replacement of the parts in full. Go to the dealer!!

BTW I have an 07 Si Sedan. Which is not under the actual bulletin, but since I brought up the bulletin and showed the same exact wear characteristics they covered it no questions asked. I just stressed that it is the same exact part on both cars, and I didnt pay $1700.00 for a warranty not to use it...

Quick Reply: Rear upper control arm.