Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Possible Pulley Tensioner Bearing Problem! :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 06:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Possible Pulley Tensioner Bearing Problem! :(

Yeah just busting rico's *****. Yeah I worry about my car ALOT!. But I tend to look at things with a microscope as does rico I think. I am a worry wort, it's a personal problem that I think rico suffers from too. That's why I like messing with him.

Yeah I know I'm pushing the limits with my car but I stay below what AJP told me to so I feel I am as safe as I can be with what I have. I have a good tune and I register no knock in any cylinder according to my flashpro. I try to do little things such as good fluids and stuff. I don't track it, and my abuse on the car consists of a couple drag runs here and there and the occasional stop light pull.

Rico I don't think you beat on your car at all. According to ajp and some stuff I've read the motor is really stout.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RICO_
No not the labor rates.....the labor TIMES. The number of hours Honda pays/charges for a particular job.
oh i wouldnt know.
you can call and ask the dealer.
cuz im sure its flag rate.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 PM
NO MERCY!

Originally Posted by ajpturbopittsburgh
it's a personal problem that I think rico suffers from too. That's why I like messing with him.
If it's saving me money and a potential migraine then I'm not really "suffering" from it am I??

You wouldn't tell a woman addicted to sex that she is "suffering" from a sex addiction would you?

Old 10-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2008fijibluesi
You really couldn't sense AJP's sarcasm?

It was thicker than ever when saying RICO worries about his car too much. Read back, you'll see why he said it.

What's been up with you man? You've been weird lately.
no i didnt pick it up.

what do you mean?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's saving me money and a potential migraine then I'm not really "suffering" from it am I??

You wouldn't tell a woman addicted to sex that she is "suffering" from a sex addiction would you?

no, i would just call her a nympho
Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rico, did you ever get these parts changed?

I am thinking this may be the cause of that "grind" noise we both experience (described in https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/grinding-noise-cold-start-2602359/ and reposted with a 2nd video which contains better audio quality in https://honda-tech.com/forums/k-series-153/can-anyone-name-sound-coming-my-k20-2634035/)

I'm very curious to see if this was the cause of the sound! Better than a rod bearing or some sh*t :I
Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 PM
NO MERCY!

Originally Posted by Ben850
Rico, did you ever get these parts changed?

I am thinking this may be the cause of that "grind" noise we both experience (described in https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2602359 and reposted with a 2nd video which contains better audio quality in https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2634035)

I'm very curious to see if this was the cause of the sound! Better than a rod bearing or some sh*t :I
The idler pulley and auto tensioner have already been replaced. I'm still waiting on the water pump to arrive so they can replace that as well. That's the main thing that was causing the continuous noise at idle.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The idler pulley and auto tensioner have already been replaced. I'm still waiting on the water pump to arrive so they can replace that as well. That's the main thing that was causing the continuous noise at idle.
so the idler pulley didnt fix the issue???
Old 10-28-2009, 12:16 PM
NO MERCY!

Originally Posted by high_revs
so the idler pulley didnt fix the issue???
Yes and no. He said the majority of the noise was coming from the water pump, but the idler pulley was also going bad.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did it change your startup grind at all?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:20 PM
NO MERCY!

Originally Posted by Ben850
did it change your startup grind at all?
Haven't noticed the grind recently. But I can't say for sure it's because of the parts that were replaced. I'll listen closely in the morning on my cold startup.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes and no. He said the majority of the noise was coming from the water pump, but the idler pulley was also going bad.
yeah that was bs to cover his @ss on the mis diagnose...i cant tell u how many pullies on k series i see beinging changed when it ends up being water pumps..
Old 10-29-2009, 06:52 PM
NO MERCY!

yeah that was bs to cover his @ss on the mis diagnose...i cant tell u how many pullies on k series i see beinging changed when it ends up being water pumps..
I think you're right. And...well they sent the pulleys back to Honda under their Goodwill program....so I really don't know what else to do if that's the case.

I could babble all day that the same noise was still there. And they could just come right back and say their lead tech said it was both the pulleys AND the water pump. And then it just turns into one big **** storm. So now I don't even want them to put in the water pump anymore....I'd rather have it done somewhere else. Can I take that water pump to another dealer and show them the diagnosis and have THEM install it under warranty? Or do they have to re-diagnose the problem themselves?

Last edited by RICO_; 10-29-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No not the labor rates.....the labor TIMES. The number of hours Honda pays/charges for a particular job.
They could charge anywhere from .8 to 1.2 hours for replacement. Honda has a set amount of labor set for warranty repairs, however, this is less than customer pay labor times. Most dealers/shops will charge 140% of that warranty amount and that's based solely on how they run their shop.

Warranty time for the tensioner replacement is .8 of an hour.

I'm not trying to discredit their diagnosis, but merely throwing this out there. Take a look at this service news and see if this pertains to your complaint, it might just be normal. I've had a few cars come in with this complaint and it was just the pcv valve.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3...valvenoise.jpg
Old 10-30-2009, 04:29 PM
NO MERCY!

Originally Posted by 90sedan

I'm not trying to discredit their diagnosis, but merely throwing this out there. Take a look at this service news and see if this pertains to your complaint, it might just be normal. I've had a few cars come in with this complaint and it was just the pcv valve.

No I'm well aware of that fluttering noise from the PCV valve. That's not the noise I was hearing. Anyhow.....they HOPEFULLY found the root of the problem in the water pump. It arrived today and they are going to have it installed on Monday.

I'll keep you all updated on the result.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you're right. And...well they sent the pulleys back to Honda under their Goodwill program....so I really don't know what else to do if that's the case.

I could babble all day that the same noise was still there. And they could just come right back and say their lead tech said it was both the pulleys AND the water pump. And then it just turns into one big **** storm. So now I don't even want them to put in the water pump anymore....I'd rather have it done somewhere else. Can I take that water pump to another dealer and show them the diagnosis and have THEM install it under warranty? Or do they have to re-diagnose the problem themselves?
they would have to re diagnose themselves..unless if for some miracle they are super cool about it...but as soon as you get there they are gonna see your warranty history and see you've been at another dealer, you can tell them you didnt like how dealer 1 diagnosed the car and they'll prob be willing to help you in return of a good survery
Old 11-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90sedan
They could charge anywhere from .8 to 1.2 hours for replacement. Honda has a set amount of labor set for warranty repairs, however, this is less than customer pay labor times. Most dealers/shops will charge 140% of that warranty amount and that's based solely on how they run their shop.

Warranty time for the tensioner replacement is .8 of an hour.

for that pulley i would charge 2hrs CP no questions asked...warranty times suck! some of the times they have are rediculously low..
Old 11-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And I know the timing belt has to come off to replace them so I'm pretty sure there's a little bit of labor involved.
my girl just had her 06 (not si) in the dealer for her water pump. they mentioned it to her in july when she took it in for inspection. they said it was a recall. she waited in the dealer for it and it took them less than 2 hrs. she just hit 10k in june. but her inspection was the end of the 3 year warrenty. i know its a dif motor but did the si's have this same issue or recall?

Last edited by tougetuned_ef; 11-01-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:50 AM
NO MERCY!

Originally Posted by tougetuned_ef
my girl just had her 06 (not si) in the dealer for her water pump. they mentioned it to her in july when she took it in for inspection. they said it was a recall. she waited in the dealer for it and it took them less than 2 hrs. she just hit 10k in june. but her inspection was the end of the 3 year warrenty. i know its a dif motor but did the si's have this same issue or recall?
Not that I'm aware of. I've got 48K on my Si right now and this problem just started recently.

they would have to re diagnose themselves..unless if for some miracle they are super cool about it...but as soon as you get there they are gonna see your warranty history and see you've been at another dealer, you can tell them you didnt like how dealer 1 diagnosed the car and they'll prob be willing to help you in return of a good survery
Well I tried another dealer and they were even worse. Here's how it went down.

I took it to them and told them the problem I was having. I didn't tell them I had gone to another dealer already or anything like that. I just told them what's up. They said it would be a $90 diagnose charge if it wasn't covered under warranty. After about an hour they called me back and said it was the IDLER PULLEY......again. The same part I just had replaced less than 2 weeks ago. They never said a thing about the water pump.

The excuse they gave me..........."Well we didn't wanna jack the car up because of the suspension cause we're afraid we might break something and that's all the technician could diagnose based on sitting in the car and listening to the noise."

My reply.........."Oh really.......so you want me to pay $90 because your technician sat on his butt inside my car and listened to a noise for a few seconds without lifting the car up and inspecting ALL possible causes for the noise."

And that's when I told them that I had already had that part replaced at the other dealership and asked him how SURE his technician was that it was THAT part that was defective....again.

Again he said the same bullshit about "that's all he could diagnose with the car on the ground and listening to the noise."

So they didn't even do a proper diagnosis and wanted to charge me $90 for it. I also saw on the paper where he crossed out the $90 and tried to cut it in half for me at $45.....still not gonna work. On top of that....even if the part was defective they would have been able to do a parts warranty replacement on it which they also did not want to do.....further implying that they weren't 100% sure of their diagnosis. Instead they said I'd be better off taking it back to the original Honda dealer.

In the end after making a huge deal out of this ridiculousness I did not have to pay the diagnosis charge and that dealership (which was conveniently located across from my work) will never see me again.

And I should also add that I find it funny that they did not want to lift my car up to inspect it because of the suspension when just a few months prior I had brought my car in for service that required the car to be lifted in the air....which they did.

Not to mention before any of this even got started....when the advisor was taking down my complaint and initial information writing up the car....he had told me that he thought it was either the timing belt OR the water pump. And he had said that neither of those were covered under my powertrain warranty.

So after I left I opened up my warranty information booklet and just GUESS what was under the covered items under the powertrain warranty? Those exact two items.

So I was basically dealing with a bunch of kids (cause that's all the advisors were....kids) who didn't know what the hell they were doing or talking about.

So yeah....I'll keep my car in my advisor Pete's hands. I trust him way more than anybody else out there at this point. At least they took the time to lift up the car and find the root of the problem.

for that pulley i would charge 2hrs CP no questions asked...warranty times suck! some of the times they have are rediculously low..
I need to ask Pete how much labor time they charged me to pay for the pulley replacement to see how much of a discount I really got. I really don't care at this point. I just want that noise terminated.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah they were deff jerking you around..and the waterpump is deff covered by the warranty......anyways hopefully this guy pete can help you out, get back to us, im curious to see what the noise is as it could be anything, but my money is on the waterpump...best of luck...too bad your not in jersey, i woulda hooked it up lol
Old 11-02-2009, 07:26 PM
NO MERCY!

Car is still sitting in the shop as of now. It was supposed to be done today...but it looks like the technician got a little backed up. So they're gonna give me a rental for tomorrow so I can get to and from work until the car is finished.

He already has the water pump in.....he just needs to put everything back together along with a tranny service, and test drive.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car is still sitting in the shop as of now. It was supposed to be done today...but it looks like the technician got a little backed up. So they're gonna give me a rental for tomorrow so I can get to and from work until the car is finished.

He already has the water pump in.....he just needs to put everything back together along with a tranny service, and test drive.
thats pretty insane, at my dealer we will stay as late as possible to make surewe deliver the car the day promised unless if we cant get a hold of parts, atleast they gave you a rental...
Old 11-03-2009, 04:59 PM
NO MERCY!

thats pretty insane, at my dealer we will stay as late as possible to make surewe deliver the car the day promised unless if we cant get a hold of parts, atleast they gave you a rental...
Yeah honestly they've been really short-handed with advisors. They only have 3....they normally have 5. He probably got backed up with customers and forgot to mention to the tech the car had to be finished same day. As long as the car gets fixed I don't mind about little stuff like that. If I keep having problems....then I'll bug the hell out of them until they either fix the car....or throw themselves off of a cliff.

Anyhow.....got the car back and the noise seems to be gone for now. Did some driving and let it idle for several minutes and nothing. So hopefully that squashes that issue.

On a side note....they also did a tranny service for me and my clutch pedal motion seems to be a little smoother than it was before. There's no abnormal free-play....just not as much pressure required to push it down as before. Is that normal?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glad to hear the noise is gone....

did they do a trans svc or a clutch line fluid exchange??? i dont see how chaning the trans fluid would effect the pedal at all...only thing you should notice is smoother shifting...
Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 PM
NO MERCY!

glad to hear the noise is gone....

did they do a trans svc or a clutch line fluid exchange??? i dont see how chaning the trans fluid would effect the pedal at all...only thing you should notice is smoother shifting...
Well the shifting is a little better now as well. But yeah I just told them a Tranny service.

Maybe they hooked me up.

Quick Reply: Possible Pulley Tensioner Bearing Problem! :(