Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Ok, Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brakes DON'T fit.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ok, Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brakes DON'T fit. (rolow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rolow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks awesome!
Did you do any stopping distance testing?
Any idea what part number they used for the wheel studs? did they cut them down? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes we did. The installation book had a ton of tests we had to do at different speeds. Total of 30 in all.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Ok, Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brakes DON'T fit. (Hellzcivic)

thats crazy nice man......brakes are so sexy....what are ya next modsss coming up.....?? you get this many
Old 08-14-2007, 08:35 PM

Default ...

Think I'll stick with the four piston calipers from procivic.com and save $400+...

http://www.procivic.com/pages-....html
Old 08-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ... (12Bravo)

CAR LOOKS HOTT!!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: ... (B18civicsi00)

hows the new stopping power?

car looks awesome. open ended lug nuts would set it off nicely.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:33 AM

i hate drilled rotors.

theres no need for them. the chance of cracking in very high. then your weekend is ruined and your out of alot of money.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (exhaust_note)

Looks way better with the spacers.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks clean
Old 08-15-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: (faster Type R)

nice work, very impressive
Old 08-15-2007, 10:00 PM

looks like how the car should have come from the factory
Old 08-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ... (IGotNoSwap)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IGotNoSwap &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hows the new stopping power?

car looks awesome. open ended lug nuts would set it off nicely. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (exhaust_note)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by exhaust_note &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hate drilled rotors.

there's no need for them. the chance of cracking in very high. then your weekend is ruined and your out of alot of money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have heard the same thing and asked the Brembo rep about this (he was at the shop a couple days after I ordered them). He said it would be very unlikely (if not impossible) to crack these rotors, specially given how I use the car. He pointed out the rotors are fabricated with the holes, not drilled after the fact. He said Brembo has done a lot of engineering on these to ensure they will not crack. He pointed out how the holes are spaced and offset. In addition, the car only weighs 2,800 pounds, even riding the brakes all day long would not cause them to crack. He said he has seen some "cheap" drilled rotors crack, but in the 4 years he has worked for Brembo, he has only seen 1 cracked rotor and that was on a IMSA GTU series race car.

The rep did say that there was a "very slight" performance gain using slotted rotors, but for what I am planning to use the car for, it is a non-issue. He suggested I go for the look I liked the best and that is what I did.

The stopping power is great. It is different from stock, smoother and more uniform, and the car stops FAST when you want it too. The ABS still works as well.

The only bad thing so far is all the damn dust that comes off these pads. OMG.

Btw, what is IMSA GTU?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hellzcivic)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I...f_GTP

looks like the GTP series died about 14 years ago.. Don't know about GTU though
Brakes look great btw... any dustless/low dust pads available?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok, Brembo Big Brakes DON'T fit. - PICS ADDED (Hellzcivic)

looks good to me...just make sure you have same wheel as your spare...
Old 03-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to bring such and old subject back to light. I noticed you said you isntalled 6 piston calipers, I tried looking for 6 piston they only come in 4 piston. Did you get them specifically for your model vehicle?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Ok, Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brakes DON'T fit. (shad295)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shad295 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry to bring such and old subject back to light. I noticed you said you isntalled 6 piston calipers, I tried looking for 6 piston they only come in 4 piston. Did you get them specifically for your model vehicle?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I was mistaking in my ealier post. I checked with my mechanics again after someone asked the same question, the calipers are 4 piston. I thought they were 6 piston from what I read (and what I paid), but I was wrong.

Sorry for not clearifying sooner, I thought this thread was dead so I did not worry about it.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Ok, Brembo Big Brakes DON'T fit. - PICS ADDED (Hellzcivic)

how man turns did u have when u had just the spacers stock studs???

at my shop if u have 4 turns ur good to go....
Old 03-11-2008, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Ok, Brembo Big Brakes DON'T fit. - PICS ADDED (DiMpL3s)

this could have worked too right??

Old 03-12-2008, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Ok, Brembo Big Brakes DON'T fit. - PICS ADDED (DiMpL3s)

I am not sure how many turns they got with the stock studs. They just told me they only got a "few" did not feel there was enough, specially if I was going to track the car. I trust my mechanic so I went with his recommendation.

I figure he must know since he has been building drag Honda's and Acura's for many years and currently is racing a front wheel drive Integra that runs high 8's in the quarter mile. He also has never steered me wrong. He is actually opposed to me increase he boost on my supercharger. He is afraid that would adversely affect the longevity of the motor and could cause a major failure in the lower unit of the engine (break a rod or piston).
Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice setup.

But what was the exact purpose of this upgrade. Meaning what are your intentions for this car ?

Any noticable difference in acceleration with the larger (heavier maybe?) rotors ?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok, Brembo Big Brakes DON'T fit. - PICS ADDED (ChargedSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ChargedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not sure how many turns they got with the stock studs. They just told me they only got a "few" did not feel there was enough, specially if I was going to track the car. I trust my mechanic so I went with his recommendation.

I figure he must know since he has been building drag Honda's and Acura's for many years and currently is racing a front wheel drive Integra that runs high 8's in the quarter mile. He also has never steered me wrong. He is actually opposed to me increase he boost on my supercharger. He is afraid that would adversely affect the longevity of the motor and could cause a major failure in the lower unit of the engine (break a rod or piston). </TD></TR></TABLE>

Time a 0-100-0 for us. LOL. I bet you'd be competing with some serious cars, if you did that, with your upgrades.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok, Brembo Big Brakes DON'T fit. - PICS ADDED (ChargedSI)

I like your mechanic already, I'm sure you mentioned in a prior message what your boost is set at. Do you mind refreshing my memory? I'm making upgrades to my Si as well but don't think I'll be getting the Brembos for another 6 months. My comptech Super Charger should be coming in anytime now and I want to make sure I don't have any problems down the road with my engine. I won't be putting my Si on a track but it's nice to have the extra gear.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:24 PM

Default Re: (Dr. D-Series)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr. D-Series &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice setup.

But what was the exact purpose of this upgrade. Meaning what are your intentions for this car ?

Any noticable difference in acceleration with the larger (heavier maybe?) rotors ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The purpose was because I wanted to do it. Nothing more, and that is all the reason I needed. I make the modification I want to make. I don't need yours or anyone else's approval.

Btw, you are being a jackass with the acceleration comment, or maybe you were "trying" to be funny?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Ok, Brembo Big Brakes DON'T fit. - PICS ADDED (shad295)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shad295 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like your mechanic already, I'm sure you mentioned in a prior message what your boost is set at. Do you mind refreshing my memory? I'm making upgrades to my Si as well but don't think I'll be getting the Brembos for another 6 months. My comptech Super Charger should be coming in anytime now and I want to make sure I don't have any problems down the road with my engine. I won't be putting my Si on a track but it's nice to have the extra gear. </TD></TR></TABLE>

With the "stage I" pulley which is what it come with, we measured a sustained boost of around 5 psi. It is not much but it makes a huge difference. The "stage II" pulley (3.3 inch) I believe will increase the sustained boost to around 8 or 9 psi. My mechanics are concerned that with 11.1 to 1 compression, this much boost "might" create too much pressure for the rods and piston rings. However, I don't thnk there is enough current or historical data to support his concern.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Slow down dude. I didnt say mean anything of the sort.

Why so quick to defend ? And to call me a jackass ? Strong words for no reason at all. And I wasnt being FUNNY.

I simply asked why you chose those brakes. Curious to know what your motivation was.

And I just wanted to know if you noticed any acceleration difference. I know a few years back when I swapped from dx to ex calipers/rotors I did feel a slight accel lose in 1st and 2nd gear.

Is that really something to get defensive over ?

Quick Reply: Ok, Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brakes DON'T fit.