Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

OEM Tires: trashed at 27k. Advice on replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OEM Tires: trashed at 27k. Advice on replacements?

Well I have dedicated snow tires/rims so I just switch them when it starts getting colder, like when it's consistently lower than 45ish.. I think I'm just going to buy them. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Trial User

Same thing happened on my 2008 Civic, the OEM tires are trash. I replaced them with General AltiMAX HP's and love them. I have now been through 2 sets and getting ready to replace them a third time. I spend a lot of time on the highway and get 50k+ out of them every time with good performance.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any idea why they discontinued the ASX? I've bought around 5 pairs of them over the last 7 years, they're pretty awesome for being all-season.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vladd
Any idea why they discontinued the ASX? I've bought around 5 pairs of them over the last 7 years, they're pretty awesome for being all-season.
They just replaced them with the ECSTA 4X.

So, I finally blew out one of my tires and now I really need to buy some. Car now has 30k.

Choices:

ECSTA 4X, $382 (plus S+H)

Potenza RE970AS Pole Position, $510 (plus S+H)

The RE970AS are supposedly a better tire in every way (although not by much, just incrementally better in every category).

But, the Kumhos have a better warranty, with 1 yr of road-hazard protection already included in the price.

What say you guys?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ross
They just replaced them with the ECSTA 4X.

So, I finally blew out one of my tires and now I really need to buy some. Car now has 30k.

Choices:

ECSTA 4X, $382 (plus S+H)

Potenza RE970AS Pole Position, $510 (plus S+H)

The RE970AS are supposedly a better tire in every way (although not by much, just incrementally better in every category).

But, the Kumhos have a better warranty, with 1 yr of road-hazard protection already included in the price.

What say you guys?
i dunno man, Kumho says they have a better warranty but they made it a huge PITA when my wife had an already shitty quality AST tire wear WAY weird and start making terrible noises. i wish i could remember the details but i did everything i was supposed to.

but...if it's between those two and only those two...i'd probably still get the Kumhos on an otherwise stock vehicle. the Potenzas have a wild following but in this application i don't see the price or performance difference being worth it.

interestingly, discount tire shows the ASX is still alive and well...along with the 4X. i'd still get the 4X over it but i thought that was weird.

where'd you get the quote for 382 before shipping? is that for 215/45 17?

Originally Posted by builthatch
i dunno man, Kumho says they have a better warranty but they made it a huge PITA when my wife had an already shitty quality AST tire wear WAY weird and start making terrible noises. i wish i could remember the details but i did everything i was supposed to.

but...if it's between those two and only those two...i'd probably still get the Kumhos on an otherwise stock vehicle. the Potenzas have a wild following but in this application i don't see the price or performance difference being worth it.

interestingly, discount tire shows the ASX is still alive and well...along with the 4X. i'd still get the 4X over it but i thought that was weird.

where'd you get the quote for 382 before shipping? is that for 215/45 17?
ehh, you know what? **** Kumho. i'd get the Bridgestones. i just thought back to the hassles i went through and it sucked talking with them over and over. i look at it like this: how can it hurt having the best tire in the category PLUS knowing you won't have to deal with Kumho? haha.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if u buy through tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com when a tire fails you call them, send them a pic and like 20 bucks and they send you a new tire. WITHOUT any warranty at all. thats how much they charged me when i tore a yokohama s-drive. Awesome tires btw, and they do pretty damn good in the snow...i live in va so we get some decent snowfall here.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:30 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by mike703
well if u buy through tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com when a tire fails you call them, send them a pic and like 20 bucks and they send you a new tire. WITHOUT any warranty at all. thats how much they charged me when i tore a yokohama s-drive. Awesome tires btw, and they do pretty damn good in the snow...i live in va so we get some decent snowfall here.
lol TR didn't do that for me re: my Kumho tire, that's for sure.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

huh. well i told them the tire failed prematurely and would no longer hold air.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Oracle of GDD

The Kumhos don't just offer a treadwear warranty...they include a road hazard warranty as well.

So if you just run over a nail in the first year of owning the 4X, you'll get something out of Kumho.

I hope I'll have more luck than Builthatch.

Ordered the 4X today for my car....will order a set for wife's car too before the month is out.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by Ross
The Kumhos don't just offer a treadwear warranty...they include a road hazard warranty as well.

So if you just run over a nail in the first year of owning the 4X, you'll get something out of Kumho.

I hope I'll have more luck than Builthatch.

Ordered the 4X today for my car....will order a set for wife's car too before the month is out.
yeah my issue was a CRAZY treadwear problem that the car only exhibited with one tire of that one set, not any within the set before, nor the set after. it sucked royally but i'm sure you'll be fine.

lettuce know how they feel, esp in the rain.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm surprised with the luck you had built with Kumho... they are usually very good at dealing with customer complaints from my passed experience
Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lambo123
I'd absolutely recommend Yokohama S.drive. They're quiet, you can get a decent amount of miles on them, and have good grip. Just don't expect it to grip like a star spec.
i use them, and love them.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree I have the S.drive and I love them big time!!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just thought id chime in.... my oem tires (Goodyear) are out on my 08 civic and im looking to replace with the continental purecontact. brand new tire with 70k mile rating to perform well in the dry, wet, and snow.

Check it out...

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ontact_en.html
Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

General GMAX A/S-03 Cheap/grippy/great reviews in all weather conditions.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 PM
MiG-21 superfan

bumping this because my wife's Si now has 114k and she's eeked over 40k out of the Yoko Envigors, lol. they are toast and on top of that she got a puncture today that i plugged. so i had to order tires tonight.

she likely will be out of this car within the year but i didn't want to get something silly so it was between Kumho 4X @ 432 shipped from Discount Tire or Falken PT7222 at 358 shipped from Vulcan (when considering the $60 rebate).

i got the Kumhos even though i've had a bad experience with ASTs on this car; i couldn't find enough review info on the Falkens and what i did find was very critical of their wet performance which is strange...so i went with the 4Xs.

Ross, how have these been for you?