Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

New vs Used

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New vs Used

Sorry, didn't really find a specific forum for this sort of this.

I'm considering buying a new, or newer car. Especially in next few days, since this is considered one of best times of year to buy. Probably if it were to be a Honda, either a Civic or a Fit. I am wanting a new car so I have pretty much zero worries as far as something breaking down. I have the money, I want a reliable vehicle. So I'm wondering, do I buy a couple years old and get an extended warranty? Or new with a warranty? I'm only open to HondaCare warranty - no aftermarket. I'm really open to either new or certified used. Just looking at which one is going to hold it's resale value best. Saving a 2k on a 3 year old car isn't worth it if it's value is going to be 5k less in than buying a new one in a couple years.

Any thoughts? I'm also considering Toyota Yaris/Corolla, which I suppose is a bit of swear word on here, but if anyone has any thoughts, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New vs Used

Originally Posted by accord1986
Sorry, didn't really find a specific forum for this sort of this.

I'm considering buying a new, or newer car. Especially in next few days, since this is considered one of best times of year to buy. Probably if it were to be a Honda, either a Civic or a Fit. I am wanting a new car so I have pretty much zero worries as far as something breaking down. I have the money, I want a reliable vehicle. So I'm wondering, do I buy a couple years old and get an extended warranty? Or new with a warranty? I'm only open to HondaCare warranty - no aftermarket. I'm really open to either new or certified used. Just looking at which one is going to hold it's resale value best. Saving a 2k on a 3 year old car isn't worth it if it's value is going to be 5k less in than buying a new one in a couple years.

Any thoughts? I'm also considering Toyota Yaris/Corolla, which I suppose is a bit of swear word on here, but if anyone has any thoughts, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
So I've been doing some research. It seems that a 1 year old car loses about 20% of it's value. After that, it loses 5-10% a year, depending on the model, and by the time it's maybe 6 years old, it's around 60% of it's value.

So, I'm thinking the BEST deal is to buy certified used 2012, very low mileage, at a desperate dealer for a 25% discount, and get a full warranty through the manufacturer. Thoughts?
Old 01-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am in the same boat as you, looking for a new car and appreciate the best value. Unless you absolutely need that new car smell, a certified pre-owned car with a rock-solid warranty is the way to go. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it), Hondas keep their value fairly well over the years.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by accord1986
So I've been doing some research. It seems that a 1 year old car loses about 20% of it's value. After that, it loses 5-10% a year, depending on the model, and by the time it's maybe 6 years old, it's around 60% of it's value.

So, I'm thinking the BEST deal is to buy certified used 2012, very low mileage, at a desperate dealer for a 25% discount, and get a full warranty through the manufacturer. Thoughts?
I don't think any 2012 Honda will be found with a 25% discount (at least with a clean title). That may apply to American cars, however.