Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

How do I make my civic run better, and have some more horsepower to go faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 11:27 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 How do I make my civic run better, and have some more horsepower to go faster?

I have an 08 honda civic sedan. Its not and Si, its just the plain regular civic. I would really like to know what brands of products are the best for making it run better so the life of my vehicle will last longer, and I would like to know what brands of products are the best for incresing my horsepower so I can go a bit faster. Because the civic I have only has about 140hp if I am correct. Please help me out. I dont need stupid answers like sell it or drop it out the back of a plane and buy a ford. haha only real legitimate answers please!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do I make my civic run better, and have some more horsepower to go faster?

boost or go home. only way ull get real power outta that thing. my boy has a boosted r18 and it still doesnt seem worth it
Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Road House

Default Re: How do I make my civic run better, and have some more horsepower to go faster?

Buy a couple of horses from your local stable. Tie them to the front of your car.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a turbo would def. do the trick, but i doubt u wanna drop that kinda money. get you an AEM cold air intake, a 4-2-1 dc motorsport header, run three inch exhaust pipe all the way back from the header and get aftermarket exhaust. That is just a start. also consider new cams, porting and polishing, and lightening up ur ride. cus those things are heavy as hell.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by giz-mo
a turbo would def. do the trick, but i doubt u wanna drop that kinda money. get you an AEM cold air intake, a 4-2-1 dc motorsport header, run three inch exhaust pipe all the way back from the header and get aftermarket exhaust. That is just a start. also consider new cams, porting and polishing, and lightening up ur ride. cus those things are heavy as hell.
wow. u dont know **** about these cars do you?

dc doesnt make a header for the r18. and it isnt even really a header. the manifold is built into the block of the motor. the headers available (megan and weapon r) really are just a downpipe.

3" exhaust is way to big for that application.

and no internals are available for the r18. not even cams

and heavy as hell? 2600 lbs aint to heavy compared to most cars on the road today.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Best brand of products? For the most part, OEM stuff. Follow at a minimum the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. Drive the car for what it is and don't beat the crap out of it and it will last you a very long time.

Any simple aftermarket stuff you can buy "may" increase your power, but not to any appreciable amount. The effect is more placebo than real. Besides, many of these "performance" products can be of inferrior quality and may have a detrimental effect on the longevity of your car.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry, my bad. it's not dc. it's weapon r. it switches ur stock manifold our for a 2.5 inch header. [URL="http://weapon-r.com/english/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=572_573_574 &products_id=6235"] and as far as internals go, you can still get it ported and polished. i found one company that had a cam for it, but it didn't seem legit. this stuff won't help it run longer though.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and 3" is not too big. don't believe me? look it up.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:39 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You want to go faster, but you want your car to run "better," which one is it? If you modify your car with aftermarket and replace the OEM equipment, you won't run as long. Why would the car come out of the factory with sub-par equipment if Honda didn't take longevity into account? First off I say focus on one thing about the car that you want to work on, and before you buy/spend your cash, do some research on what brand and how that particular brand makes your car "better." Secondly, come on here with some aspect of you car in mind and we'll debate and provide input. If you came in here with a specific question regarding suspension or what not, then we'd have some direction to point you in. "How do I make my car better?" is very vague.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:18 PM

This guy sounds legit.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by K5^
You want to go faster, but you want your car to run "better," which one is it? If you modify your car with aftermarket and replace the OEM equipment, you won't run as long. Why would the car come out of the factory with sub-par equipment if Honda didn't take longevity into account? First off I say focus on one thing about the car that you want to work on, and before you buy/spend your cash, do some research on what brand and how that particular brand makes your car "better." Secondly, come on here with some aspect of you car in mind and we'll debate and provide input. If you came in here with a specific question regarding suspension or what not, then we'd have some direction to point you in. "How do I make my car better?" is very vague.

all in all i agree with your statment here except that a modded car woont hold up as long as a stock with oem equipment..my 94 teg went almost 400 thou with just about every aftermarket part you could get.. asfor honda with sub par parts , for one honda trannys have been crap for over a decade, and the new si's rear non adjustable control arms that wear tires on the inside from bad camber from factory. However speed costs money in one way or another, and for what it will cost to make an r18 fast you could have just got the si and still had money left to mod that, the r18 can be show but it will cost a fortune for the go.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

3" on a motor that has 140 hp and no internal mods?

Where are you "looking it up" ? Because I sure as hell won't ever look there for advice. Bigger is not always better...
Old 03-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My buddy Frank said you can take the restrictor plate off to free up a couple of ponies. But you might want to keep that on the down low because its not exactly street legal.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow some of you guys are retarded, doesn't anybody understand the principle of exhaust scavenging?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Josh222
Wow some of you guys are retarded, doesn't anybody understand the principle of exhaust scavenging?
Yes, and going 3" is not going to help him, its going to slow the velocity of his exhaust gasses down. And I thought scavenging was to keep the velocity up but not bottlenecked with too skinny a pipe. And they bend the tips on mufflers down for a reason.