Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Ex vs. SI

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (accordselux)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea, if you're paying a lot of money for a decent kit and suspension, why are you buying some cheap, crappy wheels?

AZULs are rice-boy tireshop special.

You'd be better off getting a good set of springs and shocks and saving a grand over the Tein coilovers and putting that money into your wheels and tires.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tein SS isn't cheap and crappy? D2 Type 1 for pre made coilovers. the OP should get some Eibach Sportlines and Tokico HP's
Old 01-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: (Kidnkorner)

Yea Teins are pretty much all hype now adays, the SS aren't a good value for the money, but if the OP wants Tein, he can have Tein, I certainly wouldn't complain if I got it...
Old 01-12-2008, 12:04 AM

i love you guys, see, i basically just said what i heard, i need input from all sources, ill now look into the sportlines.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Used019)

the only reason i bought coilovers for my crx was they were $450 shipped and they were the new skunk pro c's . They also gave me the ability to accomplish the exact drop I was looking for. If that is what you are looking for go with the tein basics.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:07 PM

i just want my car to ride well, similar handling to a evo 8/9.. if at all possible.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Ex vs. SI (Used019)

buy the si its just a much more reliable car in my opinion. and even if you dont use the power you still no you have it at least.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:22 AM

the SI gets worse gas mileage, i can only use premium, and its manual, which i don't want.

EX makes more sense.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kidnkorner)

It sounds like you've been wanting the EX model all along and you were just looking for some approval.

Here's a few positive reasons why an EX is a good choice for you:

1. You the EX model is more affordable
(not only the car itself but fuel economy as well)

2. The EX is an automatic, and you would maybe prefer that if you drive a lot in traffic and on busy roads. Or maybe you are simply not that great at driving manual transmission, if that is the case just know it is very easy to learn but it also isn't necessary either. It is just a driver's preference.

3. The insurance on the EX may be cheaper depending on how your insurance company differentiates the regular civic class from the SI class.

Honestly, if you don't desire an SI and don't care for it, then the EX is perfectly fine for you. If you put looks and comfort above performance driving, then it is more reasonable to get an EX. You can still modify the car to look as good as an SI...they have the same body afterall. And you can also do some nice interior things and put a nice system in your trunk.

You can even win car show contests with a "slow" car if it looks really nice. That's why it's a car "show" - you're just showing your car. Winning racing contests is a whole different circuit. Doesn't seem like you want to be a part of that anyway. There's looks, speed, and both. It appears that you want looks.

I disagree with everyone saying that the SI is a better value and that it is more reliable. It IS a better value if you want that speed, the performance, and the 6-speed transmission. But if you don't care about that stuff, like you say - then to you it is not a value at all since you don't want to pay money for those extra things that you don't need or want.

They're both Honda, they're both Civics, and so they are equally reliable and have equal service availibility in terms of maintenance and warranty coverage. In fact, an automatic won't have to worry about worn out gears and a burnt clutch...and the resell value on automatics are generally higher than manuals. People are usually skeptical about purchasing a used manual because they have no idea how that manual transmission was treated by the previous owner. So if you're looking for resale value as well, the EX is obviously better when it comes to that.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vinc84)

what you are failing to see, even though you made a novel of a post, is that the OP does want some sort of performance out of his car. he said he wants his car to handle like an evo8/9. lol. for all the money he'd be putting into an ex, it would be much smarter and economic to buy an si. if hes going for looks, an si (in stock trim) is gonna catch much more attention than any ex, more than likely no matter how "pimped" out it is.
while the regular civic handles great, to bring it up to par with how an si handles would bring the cost of the car over that of an si's. plus, he said he wants his car to handle like an evo. thats some serious cash man. with better handling, comes better brakes (they are part of the suspension after all). brakes are a big part of the handling process. while the si's brakes could be better, they are far ahead of the ex's capabilities. and then there's the LSD. holy grip! if the OP puts the suspension stuff on an ex that he wants to, it still wont handle as good as an si, let alone an evo. and the overall price will be over that of an si.
the si is a great value. it comes fully loaded (pretty much the only option is the navi). with the si, you get better looks (spoiler, wheels, etc.), better handling, better interior (seats *much more than some ex seats with red stitching*, red gauges, sunroof, 350-watt stereo), better performance (k20, and 6-spd). it all comes stock. to option out an ex with half those options would bring the price tag over an si's.
if you dont want to drive manual, then why would you even consider the si? you dont know fun until you drive this car. you may say i am biased because i have an si, but my sister has an '06 ex, and the difference between the cars is night and day. she tells me every time she rides in my car that she regrets not getting the si.
if you are gonna put rims and suspension work into your car and really dont want an si, just get an lx. its pretty much the same car as an ex, minus some minor options. the ex has nicer wheels, but you are swapping them out either way. IMO, from what you have posted, the si is your best value. the only thing i see in your way is the 6 speed. i assume you havent driven an si, because if you had, youd probably want it. LOL.