Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

engine blew will lx engine fit help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine blew will lx engine fit help

hey fellow members. I have 2008 ex and my engine blew today ... but I was wondering will a 2008 lx engine work for my ex. The lx came out of a automatic if that matter any. Any support would be much appreciated.

Thanks Manny
Old 12-11-2010, 08:38 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: engine blew will lx engine fit help

I'm sure it would. The engines are the same. It's just mainly creature features that are different.

Exactly how did you manage to blow your engine anyway?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so the big questions lies how the engine blew... well lemme tell you its simply bad luck. I changed the oil on the civic about a month ago and my sister drove it to where she lives about 140 miles from me and drove it for a month no problem and today she called me in panic saying these lights came on and the engine was making noise... lights would be check engine and oil light. I asked her to check the oil dipstick and she said there was no oil on the stick and she she hadn't see any spots in her driveway or anything so i was trying to figure and explain where to check to see if it was leaking . Finally she called her friend considering I am about 2 1/2 hours away this late at night and he happened to discover that there was no oil plug. WOW!!! Explain that how that civic could run dry for however long it did and then all of a sudden a light that is supposed to come on during warning time (oil light) and not during disaster time. Is this a possible default in the system? Just my family's luck.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 AM
NO MERCY!

Well oil drain plugs just don't fall out. Either it wasn't tightened properly, or your sister hit something to bottom out the car and possibly knock the plug loose or crack the pan around the plug to where it fell out. These plugs only require 29 ft/lbs. of torque to be tightened properly so its pretty easy to get it tight enough....but also pretty easy to OVER-tighten it and begin stripping the threads.

Whatever happened happened very close to the check engine light and oil light coming on....because once the oil drains completely from the engine, the car isn't going to make it very far at all without dying. Certainly not a month. She'll be lucky to have made it up one city block with no oil.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You had better check to see if they are any differences in the block between the auto and the stick, other than the obvious stuff,like the shape of the rear of the block where the bell housing bolts up.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM
99-0104

Originally Posted by bee guz
You had better check to see if they are any differences in the block between the auto and the stick, other than the obvious stuff,like the shape of the rear of the block where the bell housing bolts up.

please tell me your kidding with this statement..

change the flywheel and use your intake and exhuast manifold and you will be fine.. the block is the same from a auto to a manual ...
Old 12-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks man but im pretty sure the 08 ex/lx both come with the r18 ..auto an std. dont make a diff. on the engine so you should be good to go with it
Old 12-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know much about the r18 motors but what about things like vtec and knock sensors, etc? Does the lx r18 motor have vtec??

Because d-series lx and ex's motors are different (same block, but the ex has vtec) . If he puts a lx non vtec r18 motor into his ex, he'll throw a code for the missing vtec solenoid, knock sensor, etc.

Like a said I dont know anything about these motors, just figured I throw this out there.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hondadriver
I dont know much about the r18 motors but what about things like vtec and knock sensors, etc? Does the lx r18 motor have vtec??

Because d-series lx and ex's motors are different (same block, but the ex has vtec) . If he puts a lx non vtec r18 motor into his ex, he'll throw a code for the missing vtec solenoid, knock sensor, etc.

Like a said I dont know anything about these motors, just figured I throw this out there.
DX to EX are all the same.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by av911
DX to EX are all the same.
I second that... Just make sure you dont take the knock sensor off of the block or its ruined
Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is not enough information here be more specific model i.e. civic accord yes older generation accords, civics are interchange able most of the time if you have an accord v6 ex then no you cant swap an accord 4cyl, but bee_guz is right depending on what generation car your dealing with there may be a difference's where the tranny meets the block, I'm know about pre 01 engines H series which are diff between SH and base but for the most part all D,B & F series can interchange in origiinal chassis with same family engines. Why dont you just put the correct engine in that way resale value doesnt drop significantly, do your homework before you spend the $
Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99gsvtec
There is not enough information here be more specific model i.e. civic accord yes older generation accords, civics are interchange able most of the time if you have an accord v6 ex then no you cant swap an accord 4cyl,
No **** sherlock

Also technically you can put a V6 into a V4 chassis.

Dx, Lx and Ex blocks all the same. Only main difference is the EX's vtec head.

Just buy any r18 block and reused your old parts + ex head on the block to save money. By the way, these engine are pretty cheap.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cuonglogan
No **** sherlock

Also technically you can put a V6 into a V4 chassis.

Dx, Lx and Ex blocks all the same. Only main difference is the EX's vtec head.

Just buy any r18 block and reused your old parts + ex head on the block to save money. By the way, these engine are pretty cheap.
I didnt know Honda made v4's lol no **** anything is possible a lot of people swap j series v6 engine into there hatchbacks or other shells, but 94-97 accords the engine bays are different between 4cyl & v6 models even fenders arnt the same not just a drop in proceedure
Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt know Honda made v4's lol no **** anything is possible a lot of people swap j series v6 engine into there hatchbacks or other shells, but 94-97 accords the engine bays are different between 4cyl & v6 models even fenders arnt the same not just a drop in proceedure
I've got a Honda V4.

It's in my motorcycle.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by caodan2010
It's in my motorcycle. , what cynlinder are motorcycles?
Motorcyles are either singles, twins,V twins, or inline fours so let me know of. V4 lol
Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Motorcyles are either singles, twins,V twins, or inline fours so let me know of. V4 lol
V-4 Bike motors .. 1000 Interceptor...500 interceptor...750 interceptor ...750 Magna....vfr 1000.. so many I could go on LOL

To bad about the Blown Motor... swap intake exhaust and flywheel also reseal the rear PCV plate , all the screw in block plugs and the timing cover plate just to save the oil leaks later on

You HAVE to change the drain plug gasket evrey time as well and YES tourque to 29ft/lbs , tourque wrenches are cheap, cheaper than a motor
Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mannydhanju
so the big questions lies how the engine blew... well lemme tell you its simply bad luck. I changed the oil on the civic about a month ago and my sister drove it to where she lives about 140 miles from me and drove it for a month no problem and today she called me in panic saying these lights came on and the engine was making noise... lights would be check engine and oil light. I asked her to check the oil dipstick and she said there was no oil on the stick and she she hadn't see any spots in her driveway or anything so i was trying to figure and explain where to check to see if it was leaking . Finally she called her friend considering I am about 2 1/2 hours away this late at night and he happened to discover that there was no oil plug. WOW!!! Explain that how that civic could run dry for however long it did and then all of a sudden a light that is supposed to come on during warning time (oil light) and not during disaster time. Is this a possible default in the system? Just my family's luck.

Could be you didn't tighten the oil properly.. The only thing that came to mind..
Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Trial User

WOwza, no plug, crazy.