Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Does Maintenance Minder on Honda Civic cover all Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Maintenance Minder on Honda Civic cover all Maintenance?

I recently purchased a Honda Civic SE 2015. I have no car experience, and I would appreciate it if other can give pointers, as to what maintenance need to be done on cars. Here's what I know that needs to be done on a regular basis:

1) Checking/Refilling Engine Oil
2) Checking/Refilling Coolant
3) Checking Battery
4) Checking/Refilling Window Washer Fluid
5) Changing Wiper Blades
6) Checking/Rotating Tires

The trouble is that I can't figure out how often this needs to be done on my Honda Civic (e.g. how often do you check/refill engine oil, every 3000 miles?) I've seen some generic values out there on the web, but they always say consult the user manual. But then the manual suggest that maintenance is only required when the Maintenance Minder lights up. So do I just not do anything until the Maintenance Minder indicator lights up? I'm also on the Honda website, and for some reason the Maintenance Schedule link is not giving me anything. Is anyone having similar issues? I just need a table/chart of recommended scheduled maintenance.

In short, will sending my Civic in for routine maintenance whenever the Maintenance Minder indicator light up be sufficient, or is there more routine maintenance that I need to do? It seems that whenever I go for maintenance, they just do an oil change, tire rotation, a 150+ point inspection and NOTHING else. I have a feeling something is not being done correctly. Why does my routine maintenance every 6mths only has so little "maintenance"? How do I check that the Honda techs are doing a proper job? Only recently at 20k miles they suggested changing the air filter, and I've never had anything changed or replaced, like fluids, coolant, break pads, and stuff.

And a follow up question - Is there any maintenance that I need to do, that the Honda shop does not typically do that I should be aware of?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Does Maintenance Minder on Honda Civic cover all Maintenance?

The maint minder codes and sub codes that pop up on the dash are as follows:
A: Oil change only (most dealers will also change the filter. I don't know who wouldn't)
B: Change oil and filter
1: Tire rotation
2: Air and pollen filter replacement (usually between 15 and 30k)
3: Transmission fluid service (typically around 30k)
4: Timing belt and spark plugs. Your Civic has a timing chain so no belt to replace. (typically around 105k)
5: Coolant service. (Around 110k or 10 years)
6: Rear differential service. Does not apply to your car and shouldn't ever pop up but strange things do happen.

It wont hurt anything to get ahead on your maintenance but just know that the minder is not smart enough to figure out when something is changed and will have to be manually reset using the Honda HDS scan tool.

If it were my personal vehicle, I would go no further than 5k between oil changes (I regularly see the maint minder going to and beyond 10k), rotating tires with each oil change and keeping my own records of all other maintenance.