Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

cobb access port vs. hondata flash pro

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cobb access port vs. hondata flash pro

how many of you guys have used either of these to tune your car?? which one is a better buy?? i have looked into both and it seems like cobb acces port has more features than the hondata flash pro but i dont know too much about these tunning devices and i need a little help picking one. thanks guys
Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: cobb access port vs. hondata flash pro

Originally Posted by hrdsktr1988
how many of you guys have used either of these to tune your car?? which one is a better buy?? i have looked into both and it seems like cobb acces port has more features than the hondata flash pro but i dont know too much about these tunning devices and i need a little help picking one. thanks guys
i am curious about how people are doing with the shelf maps from the AP. i know for quite some time subaru enthusiasts were having an easy time of it and were getting good results from their shelf maps. that is something that just seems odd to me, considering how much of a case by case tuning proponent i've always been, however, the facts are the facts.

so then i bought a mazdaspeed3 1/08, and figured when the AP came out with maps that seemed to get some results, i'd try it. i had a rough time and was not alone, but i realized that the mazda ecu is as tricky as they've been reporting, and the car in fact needs to be tuned just like anything else where i've ever run a standalone or piggyback. now they have the ATR available for the ms3 AP and on top of that Jeff Evans is familiar with the cobb software, so it seems like i might be getting back on board with cobb.

so, back to my original question to supplement the above inquiry of it vs. hondata....who's using this thing and seeing results with shelf maps? i prefer dyno data, since butt dynos can be extremely unreliable, however, any input is appreciated.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flashpro ftw!!
the one thing that made me go for hondata is the 20+ maps for different setups plus the user tuning program is not a beta like the cobb (as far as i know). and i think the ap just had stage 1-3 as far as maps when hondata has maps for very specific setups both n/a and boost.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:12 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_DOHC
flashpro ftw!!
the one thing that made me go for hondata is the 20+ maps for different setups plus the user tuning program is not a beta like the cobb (as far as i know). and i think the ap just had stage 1-3 as far as maps when hondata has maps for very specific setups both n/a and boost.
just a note, beta with cobb is not your normal beta; they are constantly doing a ton of R&D with so many shops that they seem to leave the program in a constant state of flux, as opposed to just sealing it up and leaving good enough alone.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FlashPro hands down.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love the the one liners, "brand x hands down" really says a lot.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by Kidnkorner
off topic, but i really appreciate your sig. nobody gets it. i had an episode where i scraped my eye in my sleep. i went to the emergency room and one drop of medicine...not the services of the doctor, not the whole bottle, nothing but one drop of medicine was a line item on the insurance payment detail for 900 dollars. ONE DROP OF MEDICINE. then ontop of that you had thousands of other dollars spent on other stuff, but that one thing really made me mad. my insurance should not have to pay that much money. that and the general corruption, bum claims, etc is what needs to be checked.

anyway, felt like saying that. carry on.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad I could help
Old 07-27-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by builthatch
off topic, but i really appreciate your sig. nobody gets it. i had an episode where i scraped my eye in my sleep. i went to the emergency room and one drop of medicine...not the services of the doctor, not the whole bottle, nothing but one drop of medicine was a line item on the insurance payment detail for 900 dollars. ONE DROP OF MEDICINE. then ontop of that you had thousands of other dollars spent on other stuff, but that one thing really made me mad. my insurance should not have to pay that much money. that and the general corruption, bum claims, etc is what needs to be checked.

anyway, felt like saying that. carry on.
Almost a $2000 emergency room visit for some aspirins. No joke. At least we got to see the doctor after waiting 2.5 hours. Bright side? It could have been 4 hours.

/thread hijack
Old 07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Builthatch, my signature is more about socialized health care and the current legislation being pushed through right now than the price of care. But you are right the prices are outrageous. I took my son to the ER because of constant vomiting and diarrhea, they gave him some pedialite and something for nausea and the bill was nearly $4,000.

Complex, thanks, it pushed me over the top to make my decision!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Road House

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nexx
Almost a $2000 emergency room visit for some aspirins. No joke. At least we got to see the doctor after waiting 2.5 hours. Bright side? It could have been 4 hours.

/thread hijack
Last time I was in the ER, I had to wait 3 hours, because the on-duty nurse needed to, (and I quote)..."eat dinner and watch Wheel of Fortune".

But at least I got a $400 bandaid put on my sprained ankle. <rolls eyes>

I cannot believe all the people pushing for socialized care.

Fortunately, it was not a life-threatening matter.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

uhhh....accessport and flashpro?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:07 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by civic710
uhhh....accessport and flashpro?
yeah, noones got anything of any worth to add so i decided to bump it with something else ; )
Old 07-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wonder when is cobb tuning gonna come out with the base maps that runs on the map sensor.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No one is going to be giving any feedback because the products are so new and most of the people who bought them are utilizing the base maps already available. Try back in 6 months. Seriously, people have been whining about the lack of plug and play stand alone for how many years and already I am seeing people bitch about how $500-$600 is too much for tuning. Get a new hobby like an ant farm or a pet rock.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:55 PM
MiG-21 superfan

No one is going to be giving any feedback because the products are so new and most of the people who bought them are utilizing the base maps already available. Try back in 6 months. Seriously, people have been whining about the lack of plug and play stand alone for how many years and already I am seeing people bitch about how $500-$600 is too much for tuning. Get a new hobby like an ant farm or a pet rock.
it's hit or miss, because someone like jeff evans is booked solid all the time; his clientele has a real understanding of how valuable tuning is, even for basic setups. being a tuning trainer, i have a thorough appreciation for it. in fact, when i had my last swap setup, it was basically a jdm gsr swap with an intake manifold, apexi gt manifold, exhaust and apexi stand alone. i got it tuned and the after power difference was incredible vs. the baseline. what i find funny is, people will spend oodles of loot on wheels and bolt on parts, but bitch about spending a fraction of that on tuning, when in reality tuning gets you the most return on your money!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They both are good products. AP came out within 3 months and FP took 3 yrs. From what I have read and seen, both are VERY close on doing the same thing. For boost you may want FP. N/A i would choose AP. I have heard no complaints on either.

I personally am going with the AP. I like the Maps and the CS from Cobb.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I have flashpro and have no complaints other than Hondata's shitty attitude. Good for them they have a good product because if I have to talk to them on the phone at all it's too much to handle.

Sometimes I boost to 11psi and the stock map sensor is only good for 10psi so I got the Hondata 4bar map sensor and everything works perfectly together. So if you plan on boosting past 10 I don't know if the AP is equipped to handle those parameters. Would there be fuel and ignition tables for those boost levels in the AP's software? And would the software recognize the new map sensor?

also the flashpro's software is constantly being updated. They already have 6 updates that gives you more features and tuning capabilities.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ajp i've got a question. originally the ajp kit didn't run on the flash pro, not sure what tuning it used but since you got the flash pro now did you have to uninstall whatever tuning solution or piggyback you were using or was the flash pro just a addition to your setup? and how good is the base map off the flash pro without further tuning?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 PM

I got the AP. I really like it. The "shelf maps" are great so far. COBB also has great customer service. They are constantly developing there maps and working on ways to improve their product. They don't currently have base maps for FI but they are in the making, and if you are running FI they will make you one no problem. I am only running the stg1 SRI map and i feel a difference. Tomorrow i am picking up a dcrh for $200, so if all goes well ill be running stg2. The one thing i would like them to do is make a video on the basics of tuning with their software. I am a Noob at tuning so when i opened it up i was like :/
Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ajp i've got a question. originally the ajp kit didn't run on the flash pro, not sure what tuning it used but since you got the flash pro now did you have to uninstall whatever tuning solution or piggyback you were using or was the flash pro just a addition to your setup? and how good is the base map off the flash pro without further tuning?
The AJP turbo had an optional custom reflash from Hondata which some people were happy with but I tend to be picky and wasn't overly impressed considering it was done by Hondata and costed me $695. That's why I went with the kit because I thought it would be tuned perfectly.

Then I added the AEM FIC piggy back which was 700$ with harness and 500 for tuning. That was required to go past the 8.5 psi limit from the hondata reflash.

Then when flashpro was released I got it and removed the AEM FIC and the uploaded a based tune just to get to my tuner. AJP would possibly help supply a tune also, I'm not positive. But hondata does not have a map specific for the ajp kit. But anyone with FI should have their own tune done in my opinion just for peace of mind because every car and engine is different and you don't want your new setup to go KABOOM!

But in all seriousness the car drives as well as stock or better. It is really smooth and if I stay out of boost I still get about 27mpg's on the highway. There is no substitute for good tuning period. It's essential with FI.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wonder when is cobb tuning gonna come out with the base maps that runs on the map sensor.
We are currently working on this functionality. It should be available sometime soon, but we do not have an ETA for this yet.

However, you should still be able to tune an FI setup just with the MAF sensor only.

Travis Geny
COBB Tuning

COBB Tuning Facebook Group
COBB Tuning MySpace Page
COBB Tuning Twitter Page
Old 08-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ajpturbopittsburgh
But hondata does not have a map specific for the ajp kit.
Why would you want a generic base map anyway.

I would NEVER install ANY FI kit and run a base map or supplied map, I wouldn't even start it up unless it was on a dyno with a lambda.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:10 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Why would you want a generic base map anyway.

I would NEVER install ANY FI kit and run a base map or supplied map, I wouldn't even start it up unless it was on a dyno with a lambda.
True. But if Hondata had a base map tuned specifically for an AJP kit like one of their Greddy maps it would've been nice.

AJP did help supply me with a tune so I could safely get to my tuner. And I already did have a wideband installed so I could see what was going on.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had the V1 and V2 Accessport for my WRX and STI.The COBB OTS map from my personal experience ran very rich. I had no problems with the basic V1 AP I had on the 02 WRX. I had to send my V2 back three times for repairs and finally just resold it and went open source on the STI.

On the 02 WRX Baseline run was 215 AWHP.Final after protune was 265AWHP.I have no info for the AP on the STI as I ditched it before the car hit the rollers.I have no experience with the flash pro but will say that nothing beats a car specific tune.The only way I would buy either would be if I had no local tuners in my area.