Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

2014 Honda Civic Si review

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: 2014 Honda Civic Si review

Agree with that statement I'm done with the snow!
Old 03-19-2015, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soo...this place seems to offer pretty much everything aftermarket for the 2012+ Civic Si
fkx racing

Finally, some decent parts are starting to pop up.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:53 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by junkyard racer
Soo...this place seems to offer pretty much everything aftermarket for the 2012+ Civic Si
fkx racing

Finally, some decent parts are starting to pop up.
I have most of the FKX bars on my 14'. They are nice quality, I am happy with them.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just realized this thread has over 11,500 views. Whoa, thank you for reading. I hope someone is getting something out of this thread and I welcome more discussion. In my 10+ years of playing with Honda's I am still really excited about this chassis. A track dedicated S2K is in the back of my mind, however. The wife says we have to buy a new house first. haha.

Yesterday afternoon was spent prepping the car for SCCA's Street class, which keeps things somewhat limited. For 2015, the Civic Si falls into the H class.

Cliff notes on what can be modified for SCCA Street class:
-Tires, 200 UTQG
-Wheels (but only offset within 7mm of factory and diameters can change +/- 1" of factory) Spacers are okay as long as they are within the offset 7mm guidelines
-Shocks can be changed and there is a bunch of rules that pertain to doing so. Read for yourself if you are that interested.
-Brake pads and fluid can be changed
-You can modify 1 sway bar. This means removing one sway bar or changing one sway bar. You can not alter the mounting points to add a sway bar. i.e. you can't add a beaks brace
-Suspension (alignment) can be modified within specs that can use the factory components. If the factory service manual says you can do something to achieve more camber or whatever, you can.
-Air filter element can be changed, i.e. drop in filter.
-Cat back exhaust can be installed, provided it exits in the same location.
-other engine modifications can take place if rebuilding but ill let you read those if you are that interested.

So as you can see, its a class that doesn't allow a bunch of modifications which keeps costs down and the playing field pretty even. Most of these modifications (except the shocks) are things that should be changed anyways to compete or drive in an aggressive and sprinted manner.

So what all did I do to the car?

-In the rear, I swapped my factory sway bar for an Eibach bar, which I set to the soft setting.
-Brake pads were changed to Hawk HPS pads and fluid was replaced with Stoptech STR-600 fluid. I am really disappointed with the brake pad offerings available for the 2012+ Si because I would really like something more aggressive than a Hawk HPS pad. This pad should be good for auto-x because of its initial bite, but this pad is going to suck on a road course.
-Tires were swapped for factory size Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs wrapped on factory wheels.

These changes have dramatically changed the car. If you have been reading this thread, I anticipated the tires to help change the car by a long shot, and they did. They will only get better when the summer heat comes. The rear sway bar makes the *** end of this thing feel super planted and solid, and while the brake pad change was a good one, I would still like a more aggressive pad. I didn't really feel the need for a different wheel because as we found out, the factory Honda wheel is an Enkei MAT wheel. While it isn't the lightest wheel out there, it is very strong. It will be just fine. And while I am allowed to change the air filter and exhaust, I felt it just wasn't necessary. For the time being, more can be had by learning to drive what I have rather than squeezing 10 more hp out of the engine. I probably will change them in the future, however.

My only complaint is that the tires are super loud. They will be annoying to daily drive on, but with all things tires, there is always a trade off. The tire is mega sticky but they are very, very loud. If you are reading this and don't want a tire this aggressive, consider a Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position or Continental Extreme Contact DW.

An alignment will come soon, hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

The perks of having family with a shop...
Attached Images  

Last edited by junkyard racer; 03-29-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey junkyard racer, I have really enjoyed this thread. I have owned my 2014 si since April 2014, and even though it isn't the fast out there, it is the most bang for the buck! Try this, “Customize Settings” menu of the intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID) using the steering wheel-mounted controls to change how many doors are unlocked when you pull the handle. Looking forward to reading more about your build and your adventures with this car.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PS live in South Carolina, why in the hell would you need heated seats, or snow tires? LOL
Old 04-09-2015, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vanis
hey junkyard racer, I have really enjoyed this thread. I have owned my 2014 si since April 2014, and even though it isn't the fast out there, it is the most bang for the buck! Try this, “Customize Settings” menu of the intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID) using the steering wheel-mounted controls to change how many doors are unlocked when you pull the handle. Looking forward to reading more about your build and your adventures with this car.
^Yep. Just about to say it. Man, that was annoying as hell before I figured it out. Also to add to the observations, when either a fair amount of dew or rain water has accumulated overnight and you start your drive, unless you have some sort of rain guard, keep your windows up until the moisture has been blown of the car because it has a natural tendency to drip directly onto your Power window and lock panel. Other then that, love the vehicle.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those Mugen rain guards are sounding like something I should put on my list.

Thanks for the comments. Winter tires in SC....I'll tell you, I talked to a lot of customers over the last 6 months or so who wish they didn't have summer tires in places that don't normally see freezing temps or snow. Things are weird. I'm still pissed we don't get heated seats in the US.

A brief update with the alignment. I've been talking with a service adviser at Basney and she tells me the Civic requires an alignment kit to make any adjustments. You get nothing from the factory. The good news, Honda offers this as part of the service procedure ($11 per bolt) which means the SCCA will allow the modification in Street/stock class. This is a great thing.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Junkyard, I don't mean to derail this thread at all from the original topic yet as it seems you have a ton of experience with mods and I have a quick question.

So I'm currently I have a 14 Si coupe that am beginning the modding process on. Nothing major so far just a K&N typhoon SRI. Ultimately once the car is paid for it will become a project car with the end result of it being boosted with probably a SC running low to mid boost at around 8-10. Again, I don't want to stir up a debate on Turbo or SC, here. And i hope this post doesn't start one. Originally my next step was going to get a Magnaflow Catback. I know there are many choices in exhaust but for me the tone that it offers is what I like. But as I am continuing my research and reading Vit's blogs it is becoming apparent that a cat back really does absolutely nothing in terms of adding horsepower and everything to do with sound. I understand that when I go boosted a full exhaust will be crucial, but at this point not so much. Obviously a downpipe can add around 10whp, but why get one now if a kraftwerks kit comes with everything included.

So after learning a bit more I feel like my next step is to get flashpro and a vit tune instead of an exhaust. Simply because spending the same amount of money on those two will give me far more tangible gains. Would you agree?
Old 04-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like you have a plan! Plans are good. Fail to plan, plan to fail.

My thoughts are different than what most do when 'building' a car. And I used to have the same thoughts too....so I guess time and money has caused me to learn my lesson.

Most will toss a ton of money at a car engine to meet a goal of a HP figure or 1/4 mile time, or whatever your goal is. Lessons learned have shown me a well built engine means nothing without tires, suspension, and brakes, and this is another reason I have been so frustrated with the current generation Civic Si. -The lack of those parts. Understand there are parts out there just few and far between when you consider the availability of previous generation Civics.

That said, I was considering a flashpro. King Motorsports advised me NOT to do the flashpro unless I was going to change the down pipe too. -so I would pass the same info along to you. Your exhaust won't do much as you have said. If you are trying to gain a tone, you will likely achieve that goal.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Word. Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm not going to track the car, or worry about 1/4 times, either. This is going to be a daily driver for the foreseeable future so I'm not trying to tear it up. Even so, you and I both know we like to get the care as dialed in to it's full potential as possible. Thanks for the heads up about the doing the down pipe to get the most out of the tune. After a bit more research. I've decided on a Full Race catted down pipe and a 3" Full Race Cat Back. They are both mods I will need in the future anyway, considering the path I'm taking so better now then later. And as far as available parts for the car....yes, I agree they have been a little harder to come by, but they have become more and more accessible in the last six months. Anyways thanks for the info!

Another couple small things about the car I've noticed in the last year and 12k is that the arm rests on both driver and passenger side tend to squeak when any pressure at all is applied to them. Mildly annoying. Figured they would be more securely attached. and I'm not a big dude either. So it's not like I'm putting 50 lbs of pressure on them. Also the drivers seat back makes a slight "popping" sound occasionally. Not a locking into place sound, more internal to the cushion of the seat like a sound of...a small medium density plastic piece being depressed and then snapping back to place. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it and maybe if others have experienced it they will have a better description. Nothing to go running and screaming to the hills about and other then that, it has been a really fun car to drive.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dmise1982
Another couple small things about the car I've noticed in the last year and 12k is that the arm rests on both driver and passenger side tend to squeak when any pressure at all is applied to them. Mildly annoying. Figured they would be more securely attached. and I'm not a big dude either. So it's not like I'm putting 50 lbs of pressure on them. Also the drivers seat back makes a slight "popping" sound occasionally. Not a locking into place sound, more internal to the cushion of the seat like a sound of...a small medium density plastic piece being depressed and then snapping back to place. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it and maybe if others have experienced it they will have a better description. Nothing to go running and screaming to the hills about and other then that, it has been a really fun car to drive.
Tires will completely wake the car up. I'm not saying this because I sell them, it's because I know it will transform the car. If you were local, I would let you drive my car and see for yourself. I would spend $$ on tires before an exhaust. -again, just me.

The center counsel, not an issue for me. The seat is super annoying and I think I will bring it up with the service dept when I go in for the alignment. I am feeling the same thing. Its almost as if there is a something loose or something in the seat, just as you described. Glad to know it isn't just me.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey junkyard racer, 1 quick question, I noticed in an earlier part of this thread that you ran the car in "Vtec" for about 20 minutes. My question is it OK to run this car like that or extended time in vtec? I have the most fun with it when I keep it about 3 and 4 in the amber lights in the vtec meter. Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a Honda engine. If you aren't doing it, you are doing the engine a disservice.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get this....or *throws hands up and says "go figure!"* Before this I drove a 1992 accord dx with 190k for 10 straight years, love that thing, and not once...not ONCE...did I run over anything that gave me a flat. Driven it across country twice. And in the last year since I've gotten the new SI I've had a nail plugged, and now have a screw in the freakin side wall! lol. So yes tires are coming up very soon. Probably just sell the Conti Pros it came with. Or maybe just light them on fire and practice my technique as a amateur smoke signaler. I cant really decide which would be a more beneficial life choice at this point.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:45 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For what it's worth my '13 Si seat popped as well but I just thought it was because I was over 300 lbs.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
For what it's worth my '13 Si seat popped as well but I just thought it was because I was over 300 lbs.
And in all honesty, I thought mine was because of my 250- pound *** as well.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well Damn, with my 155 lbs skinny *** I could keep it N/A with a couple midgets in the trunk and beat you guys even if you were runnin 25psi of boost! lolol. I kid.... Just one midget.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This weekend will be full of fun.

Friday, for a half a day's work, I am doing the SCCA Starting Line auto-x school and I am pretty stoked about it. The even better part is that work considers this training, though I do too. It should be good.

Saturday morning, I am getting a custom alignment done on the car via Honda and with factory Honda alignment bolts. The dealer told me I should be able to achieve about -2.5deg in the front, which is right where I want to be. If I can do the rear with factory parts, I will add a little bit there too.

Sunday is the first offical auto-x for the local club.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbotech's are available for us if you like those.

Front: CT914
Rear: CT537

Carbotech Performance Brakes: Products-Honda Brake Pads & Shoes
Old 04-25-2015, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yesterday afternoon was spent with the SCCA and their Starting Line school. I can't tell you how awesome the school was. The instructors are top notch and the lessons learned will knock off years of 'learning the hard way'. In my class was a 2 time national auto-x champion, and even she said she gained a few things from the school. Regardless of skill level, if you are interested in driving your car in a setting like this, the money spent on this school is far better spent than your next horsepower modification.

Time wise, I tied for third, behind the 2 time nat champion and another borderline professional driver. -by about 7/10 sec. I tied with an Audi S4. We weren't officially keeping a 'who won score' ...but we were, if you know what I mean.

The car performed amazing. With the Dunlop ZII SS tires, I used the tire pressure of 40f 38r and think I could have brought the fronts up a little more. I typically advise a bold first change (I went from factory 33 to 40psi) and then tune with 2psi increments, going up. Im going to take a wild guess and say I will probably end up around 44psi f.

The rear sway bar did exactly what I wanted it to do. As long as I set the car up for weight transfer, it transitioned very nice. It was very predictable and drove out exactly the way I wanted it to.

The brakes....haha. Yeah...lets talk about those. Yesterday, they sucked. They were very slow to react and once they finally reacted, I had reached their limit almost instantly. At one time, I had smoke pouring off of the pads as if they were on fire or something. Hawk makes some great product (for every car except the 2012+ Si) but the HPS pads just aren't going to cut it, at least for me. In fact, the factory pad I think would have sucked just as bad. On the street, they worked great, but for my use, I'm going to have to find something else and I think the carbotech pads are in order. I really wish hawk would offer the HP+ or the new StreetRace pad. If I am going to be honest, I was trying to wait for Hawk because I sell them and I wanted a product on my car I could give direct feedback for, good or bad.

Originally Posted by Bwill9886
Carbotech's are available for us if you like those.
Front: CT914
Rear: CT537
Carbotech Performance Brakes: Products-Honda Brake Pads & Shoes
I am about to head to Honda this morning for my alignment, so stay tuned for that.
Attached Images  

Last edited by junkyard racer; 04-25-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

12,965 views. Whoa.

The alignment appointment went well, but I wasn't able to get anywhere near where I wanted to be. -however, for SCCA Street/stock class, using factory parts and service manual recommendations is all that I can do to be legal. As well as yesterday went, I will keep the car prepped per the rulebook without any 'fudging'.

The car feels a lot better when driving. The steering wheel is MUCH lighter and the car responds almost instantly. I can't wait to get back on the track tomorrow!

I had a 8 time SCCA National Champion auto-x'er drive my car during the school and he was very pleased with it. One thing he did mention is that although traction control is turned off, he doesn't feel its 100% off. Something is still 'helping' the car. Does anyone know if there is a way to fully turn off the traction control system? I know with the BRZ there is a procedure to completely turn it off...is there such a thing for the 9th gen Si?

Also, I had a nice conversation with my sales guy about the Civic R. According to him, they are expecting to have the R model around late summer, early fall, 2016. As soon as I can order one, I will be there. My dealership (Basney Honda in South Bend, Indiana) has been nothing but good to me with zero complaints at all. In fact, they have exceeded all expectations.
Attached Images   
Old 04-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's great news. The track teacher, did he mention whether the LSD might be that extra little 'help' you mentioned?
Old 04-25-2015, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 2012+ Si has a pretty good LSD from the factory.

The vehicle stability system uses the brakes to assist in stability. If the system can't fully be disengaged, the brakes will drag if the computers onboard think the car is unstable. So, if you haul *** into a corner and transfer the weight to purposely upset the rear of the car, the system thinks the car is out of control and attempts to help get it back under control. If the system is fully disengaged, the car would/should feel very loose and give you some ability to somewhat rotate the car. While it feels pretty good, that isn't happening to its 100% potential.

'Something helping' the car isn't really helping...
Old 04-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info...thanks...I didn't know that the brakes are part of the VSA system...

Quick Reply: 2014 Honda Civic Si review