Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

2007 Honda Civic DXG coupe MT problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Honda Civic DXG coupe MT problems

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and hoping to get a few answers to the problems that I'm currently experiencing with my car. About a week ago I bought a 2007 Honda Civic coupe (DXG trim) with 105,000 KMS on it (sorry, I'm from Canada). I've never owned a Honda before and one of the reasons I bought one is because of it's legendary reliability as well as great fuel economy. So a few days ago I've noticed that my car doesn't always go into 1st or 2nd gears. It doesn't happen that often but it's very annoying and frustrating since I was told that Honda Civics are built to last. Sometimes when I go into 1st gear it gets stuck halfway into it and the same thing happens with my 2nd gear. I can't really drive like this, it is very unsafe and embarrassing. Thought you guys would share with me your thoughts on this issue. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2007 Honda Civic DXG coupe MT problems

1) I would have had a pre-purchase inspection (from a dealer or trusted mechanic) before buying it. It doesn't sound like you did this. Just because Hondas in general are reliable doesn't mean you didn't buy a car that had it's transmission blow up on the previous owner.

2) I would have test driven it before buying it. If you bought it a week ago, and it developed problems a few days ago, it probably had the same problems before you bought it.

3) I would change out the transmission fluid with new Honda MTF fluid using the drain and refill method ~3 times over the next week.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
1) I would have had a pre-purchase inspection (from a dealer or trusted mechanic) before buying it. It doesn't sound like you did this. Just because Hondas in general are reliable doesn't mean you didn't buy a car that had it's transmission blow up on the previous owner.

2) I would have test driven it before buying it. If you bought it a week ago, and it developed problems a few days ago, it probably had the same problems before you bought it.

3) I would change out the transmission fluid with new Honda MTF fluid using the drain and refill method ~3 times over the next week.
Yes I will admit it I did not take it to a mechanic, but when I test drove it the car seemed just fine but then again this problem doesn't occur that often. As for the tranny fluid flush I will do it within the next couple of days and will definitely report back to you guys.

Also the radiator/cooling fans seem to run every 30 seconds or so when my heater is on. I don't think that this is normal but that's a different problem, will start a thread on it later.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
I would change out the transmission fluid with new Honda MTF fluid using the drain and refill method ~3 times over the next week.
No need with a manual, just once is fine as you'll get 95%+ of the fluid out. You have to drain and fill 3 times with the automatic because you're only getting about half the fluid out each time.

If it was just 1st gear I'd say it was probably operator error. Generally speaking a Honda wont want to go into 1st until under 5mph and often you'll find it wont want to go in at dead stop either unless you let the clutch out slightly. That's normal and just the nature of Honda manual transmissions. 2nd gear shouldn't be a problem though. Check the easy/cheap stuff first. Stetched shifter cables would be the first thing to look at. Beyond that the transmission may need to come out.

Honestly it sounds like the 1st/2nd hub and sleeve are worn and or the engagement teeth on 2nd gear.