Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

1st Honda Civic. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 1st Honda Civic. Any suggestions?

Hey everyone,

I just bought a 2010 Honda Civic Sedan EX. Its my first Honda Civic and I'm loving it so far.

Seeings as it is a new car, would doing any modifications void the warranty?

I didn't realize this until after the purchase, but the Coupe actually has a better audio system than the Sedan. Mine has no subwoofer and only 160 watt output. I'm considering getting a subwoofer system installed and eventually will upgrade the inside speakers.

Does anyone know if the http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-s...ory=CIVIC10109 is any good? I'm assuming it would be better to get an after-market system.

Does anyone know of a place in South Florida that does great stereo installation? I am looking to potentially attach the subwoofers to the inside rear corners of the car. I looked online but the websites are pretty aweful.

Last but not least, I know this isn't an SI but are there any suggestions for performance modifications and the order to do these in?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 1st Honda Civic. Any suggestions?

pretty sure the coupe and sedan have the same audio system. Only upgrade is the premium that is in the SI's and EXL's
Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, I thought so too until I read this after reading a forum post elsewhere.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-coupe/audio.aspx
http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/audio.aspx

Its a pretty lame difference.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow - now I'm happy I got an EX Coupe with the "Premium Audio System" including the extra 190 Watts and factory subwoofer!

Based on previous experience with car stereos, I've had great luck with buying the speakers and headunits, etc. from crutchfield.com and then installing myself. They usually will include wiring harnesses, trim surrounds, etc. with a decent purchase. I haven't looked up anything for my '07 EX yet, but I'm assuming that they'll provide their usual instructions that I've never had a problem with. Check them out and maybe consider taking the time to do this yourself and saving a little $$ on installation costs.

Enjoy your new Civic. Treated well with simple, regular maintenance and this car will last you a very long time.

Welcome to H-T, too!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ajpturbopittsburgh
pretty sure the coupe and sedan have the same audio system. Only upgrade is the premium that is in the SI's and EXL's
sedans can fit speakers with a bigger magnet = more power generally. the coupe has the trunk torsion bar that gets in the way of installing speakers with powerful magnet.

OP: seeing that you have a sedan, you should be fine. as for mods, if you are worried about your warranty, stick to an intake and call it a day. lower your car and put some nice rims on it as well.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aftermarket modifications will not void the warranty, unless the dealership can prove that the mods caused a problem with the car.

Also, I have read that the OEM Bass kit is not worth the price at all. You're much better off going aftermarket.

I also have an R18, and at first I was very interested in modding. However, I've since realized that basic bolt-ons do very little to help the performance of the car. It is, after all, an economy car. So now I drive conservatively and try to squeeze every last MPG I can out of it lol. If you're absolutely bent on modifications, definitely lower the car first. I got intake and exhaust first, and if I could go back, I would have done suspension first. It improves the look of the car so much. As far as bolt-ons, intake and exhaust is probably the farthest I would go. These cars technically don't have a header due to the design of the engine, so that's out of the question.

In any case, congrats on the purchase and good luck with the car! I'm new to Honda-Tech, as well.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Grats on the new car, as an Si owner the premium stereo is good...for stock but things really get wild when you begin to add aftermarket equipment.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joc1394
Wow - now I'm happy I got an EX Coupe with the "Premium Audio System" including the extra 190 Watts and factory subwoofer!

Based on previous experience with car stereos, I've had great luck with buying the speakers and headunits, etc. from crutchfield.com and then installing myself. They usually will include wiring harnesses, trim surrounds, etc. with a decent purchase. I haven't looked up anything for my '07 EX yet, but I'm assuming that they'll provide their usual instructions that I've never had a problem with. Check them out and maybe consider taking the time to do this yourself and saving a little $$ on installation costs.

Enjoy your new Civic. Treated well with simple, regular maintenance and this car will last you a very long time.

Welcome to H-T, too!
Hey, thanks for the suggestion and the welcome. I didn't really know where to begin with this. Going to look into doing it myself.

So far this car is a really great ride. Maybe this is just me, but the turning feels a little rough. Is this typical for Civics or is it 'cause its new?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pd0019
sedans can fit speakers with a bigger magnet = more power generally. the coupe has the trunk torsion bar that gets in the way of installing speakers with powerful magnet.

OP: seeing that you have a sedan, you should be fine. as for mods, if you are worried about your warranty, stick to an intake and call it a day. lower your car and put some nice rims on it as well.
You make a great point about the magnet. I hadn't considered that the space would actually turn out great to do custom work.

Last edited by gtaborga; 06-15-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by -Havok-
Aftermarket modifications will not void the warranty, unless the dealership can prove that the mods caused a problem with the car.

Also, I have read that the OEM Bass kit is not worth the price at all. You're much better off going aftermarket.

I also have an R18, and at first I was very interested in modding. However, I've since realized that basic bolt-ons do very little to help the performance of the car. It is, after all, an economy car. So now I drive conservatively and try to squeeze every last MPG I can out of it lol. If you're absolutely bent on modifications, definitely lower the car first. I got intake and exhaust first, and if I could go back, I would have done suspension first. It improves the look of the car so much. As far as bolt-ons, intake and exhaust is probably the farthest I would go. These cars technically don't have a header due to the design of the engine, so that's out of the question.

In any case, congrats on the purchase and good luck with the car! I'm new to Honda-Tech, as well.
Welcome to H-T as well! Thanks for your wishes.

I figured that I'd have to get the best of the MPG. I'm actually curious about getting air intake if it can be beneficial in that area. I read that it can be less beneficial at certain speeds though.

The suspension is definitely sounding like a good idea because like I mentioned above it feels a little rough on turns.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rileyrat
Grats on the new car, as an Si owner the premium stereo is good...for stock but things really get wild when you begin to add aftermarket equipment.
Thank you. I'm looking forward to doing so. I figured that the Sedan wouldn't be as mod friendly as the SI.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a new EX also - I haven't done anything to it - but close. What kind of intake will give the best performance? I was not aware some intakes only help at certain speeds - might be that they are good on low end - not high end? Not sure. I was also looking at lowering, but heard it voided the warranty? Any truth to that? What about putting a header on it and running new pipe to the back? Looking to get into the 40s with this thing. Can hit 39 mpg as is stock - but think it will do more. PS -thats with 5 passengers.
I would love ot hear what you did and how it worked out.
Thanks - Newt