Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

08 Honda Civic Rear speaker issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 08 Honda Civic Rear speaker issues

Hey, so I just replaced my starter in my car and all of a sudden I cannot hear my rear deck speakers. Oh, side note, has anyone else been having starter issues with their civics? This is the third replacement in 4 years. Ok, back to the real issue, no rear speakers. I currently have an aftermarket stereo, Pioneer FH-X731BT, and aftermarket speakers, some casual 6.5in kickers. When I'm looking in my stereos audio settings the position doesn't even show up. I cannot change any crossover or fade. When I look at my individual speaker levels the only options available are the front left and right. This makes me think its a wiring issue and the rear speakers are not being registered by the stereo itself. Can anyone give some pointers or relief on this issue? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 08 Honda Civic Rear speaker issues

Was everything working fine before the starter change?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: 08 Honda Civic Rear speaker issues

Luckily we figured out the issue. For future issues for anyone else. If you're using this same stereo system, there is a secondary set of settings that are only displayed if you entirely turn off the stereo when the car is running and then just press the menu **** when the device has no lights. This will provide the user with a set of options that pertain to factory resets, service upgrades, and specifically rear speaker output. Mine displayed the options of SW and FULL for the initial rear speaker output. When they replaced the starter, they removed the battery and this adjusted that setting on the stereo and thus no rear speakers. Simple fix. Thanks for the help and best wishes to all!
Old 02-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am trying to find out why my standard issue (2007 Civic) radio plays only on RF speaker.
I am sure I have no additional option other than when the radio is turned on to manipulate the speakers.
I am not sure what you met by "device is off" - my radio display is always on - to display clock.
I suspect faulty wiring - but all but one is very unlikely.

I am trying to access the back connectors of the radio without disassembling the whole car in the process.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Anne, so I have an aftermarket stereo in my civic. This stereo lets me power off the device. That's what I meant when I said "Device is off". Considering you are using the stock factory stereo, I believe you have the options to control balance and fade. Depending on these two settings you may have all of your audio directed toward the rear. This would be the only setting that I can remember affecting which speaker is being powered on the stock receiver. If that doesn't solve the problem, there is a small possibility that the wiring may be bad, but considering the stock speakers use a plastic connector I highly doubt that. I hope this fixes your problem. Best of luck.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:06 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Anne Ranch
I am trying to find out why my standard issue (2007 Civic) radio plays only on RF speaker.
I am sure I have no additional option other than when the radio is turned on to manipulate the speakers.
I am not sure what you met by "device is off" - my radio display is always on - to display clock.
I suspect faulty wiring - but all but one is very unlikely.

I am trying to access the back connectors of the radio without disassembling the whole car in the process.