Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

06 Si burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (ohdannyboy73)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ohdannyboy73 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I may have to look around for this because the oil seems to be low no matter what the driving conditions are. Also their seems to be a slight delta when I take the car into higher RPMS but that maybe in addition to what might be leaking. Monkey is your car a 06 or 07?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have an '06.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MonkeyConQueso)

Where is the VTEC switch located?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 06 Si burning oil (ohdannyboy73)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ohdannyboy73 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Basically they contacted Tech Line in Cali and was told that the Si could be expected to burn up to a quart of oil every 1k miles. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Tech rep. must be driving a chevy.
06 si should not burn oil, unless you are hitting v-tec as soon as you get in the car.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 06 Si burning oil (inlineaddict)

No I am not doing that but odlly enough I also own an 06 Ralley Red Si. So I am going to be checking all over the engine for any leeks as soon as I get back in town.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

leaks
Old 09-19-2007, 02:39 PM

Just took it to honda about the oil issue. I'm consuming about 1qt every 2k miles. They told me the exact same thing as above. They won't fix anything until it's burning about 1qt every 1000 miles.

They did find a small leak near from the vtec gasket however. Parts are on order and they serviced my rear ABS gasket too.

Hopefully it gets better. Will keep you guys updated
Old 09-19-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: (Tam N)

they told me 1 quart per 1 k miles is normal for a LX
Old 09-19-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Re: (Bulli Kid)

I meant more than 1qt per 1000 miles.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default also using oil

whats up dude? I am the proud owner of an 07 taf white Si sedan that is using oil as well. Im also using the royal purple 5w-30 but I only have 8800 miles. Its been using or burning since I did the first oil change. Im using about the same amount as you, about 1 quart every 2000 miles. I havent even bothered with the dealer yet but I think Im gonna soon if it doesnt stop. I previously owned a 99 accord v6 sedan before this and It had 147,000 miles on it when I totaled it and that didnt burn a drop of oil. Im also an ASE certified tech. I worked for Cadillac for 8 years now I work for goodyear and I cant believe what honda's tolerance is for oil consumtion. I think that dude was right about GM, the 1 quart per 2000 miles. But Im gonna check with my buddy at caddy to find out exactly. I know a motor is supposed to burn a little oil, but this is excessive. Especially for a small motor like this. I do spend a little time near redline, but isnt that what this damn car was built for? Im also planning on adding some boost via a greddy turbo kit. Whats gonna happen then? Im scared to find out.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Occupy GDD

Default Re: also using oil (soxfan143)

I think burning 1 qt ever 1k miles is excessive. I'd raise hell if my brand new car was doing this. I've owned hondas previously but I've never had a burning oil issue (but none of them had vtec...). Do you get into vtec quite alot? I know alot of my buddies b-series burned oil but thats because they were hitting vtec all the time.

Maybe try changing the oil to a thicker weight like 10w-30 and staying out of vtec for 1k miles (might be hard though lol) and see how bad the consumption is.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Tickle-shits

Default Re: (ohdannyboy73)

I did a hard break-in and I dont burn a drop from oil change to oil change. Funny how everyone ripped me when I dumped my break-in oil at 1800 miles.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:06 AM

does anyone know which oil the dealerships are using?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Tickle-shits

Default Re: (FlatlineSI28)

they use castrol crap at the dealer by me.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My GS-R always burned a lot of oil, even when new. FWIW, it had 221k miles on it when we sold it with 0 engine problems. I eventually switched to 10w40 and it helped a LOT.

Just keep an eye on the oil level, or switch to a thicker oil. 5w20 or 5w30 is really for gas mileage, but if you plan to drive the car hard you should be putting in something more significant anyway. I'd try a 10w40 and see if the problem goes away.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: also using oil (Alex_G)

I did a reasonably normal break in I think. I redlined it a few times during the break in. I also dumped the break in oil at 1500 miles. Im not sure whaat would be causing this. I might try using 10w30 instead of the 5w30. Maybe that will help.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:42 PM

are you running the motor hard?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 06 Si burning oil (travis2k16)

New Hondas will burn oil until 10k. Mine went through 1qt in the first 2k. I went to Honda and they said it is normal. I now have 28k and all is good.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 06 Si burning oil (Caveman74)

As stated before... ALL engines will consume some amount of oil between changes, it just depends how much.

Hondas tend to burn more than some due to their high compression. They will also burn more if you spend alot of time in VTEC for some reason.

The industry standard for warrantee work is burning 1qt every 1000mi. That's basically across the board for all makes and models because the only solution would be to do a rebuild or replacement. They've been using this standard for quite some time, which doesn't seem that great since engines have come quite a ways; but in order to save costs, it's still around.

There isn't much that you'll be able to do besides to monitor it and keep it filled. It probably had nothing to do with the break in period or anything else. Every part in the engine has a tolerance, and if it was built to the limits of the tolerences, there could be more than ideal clearances which can cause it to burn more than what is ideal.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually not at all, but at 33k I am still burning/loosing the same amount of oil.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Re: (FlatlineSI28)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FlatlineSI28 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know which oil the dealerships are using?</TD></TR></TABLE>
at my dealer when i got my first oil change it said Honda genuine oil
Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bulli Kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bulli Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
at my dealer when i got my first oil change it said Honda genuine oil</TD></TR></TABLE>

Couple of random thoughts, if you don't mind: First, "Honda genuine oil" -- i.e. the stuff in the "Honda" labeled bottles -- is, in fact, Exxon-Mobil conventional motor oil. It says so on the bottle. The Exxon-Mobil equivilent is Exxon-Mobil 5000.

WRT the oil consumption issue, even assuming your particular car is "burning" a quart of motor oil every 1000 miles or so, what's the big deal? Conventional motor oil (regardless of brand) costs next to nothing per mile. If you are using 5w-20, it is really a light weight motor oil and, thus, is much more suseptible to "burning off" between 5k-mile oil changes.

Third -- changing subjects -- contrary to the poster's opinion above regarding Castrol motor oil, Castrol has been in the motor oil business for nearly a century. The brand is one of Honda's primary racing sponsors in Great Britain, and several teams in the BTCC use Castrol products exclusively. Here in the U.S., Castrol always tests exceptionally well in comparison to other conventional oils, and it's one of the best, if not the best, in providing protection against thermal breakdown (i.e., burning off) and viscosity degradation over time. It also has one of the best detergent "package" in the industry.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually not at all, but at 33k I am still burning/loosing the same amount of oil.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mechanic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mechanic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Third -- changing subjects -- contrary to the poster's opinion above regarding Castrol motor oil, Castrol has been in the motor oil business for nearly a century. The brand is one of Honda's primary racing sponsors in Great Britain, and several teams in the BTCC use Castrol products exclusively. Here in the U.S., Castrol always tests exceptionally well in comparison to other conventional oils, and it's one of the best, if not the best, in providing protection against thermal breakdown (i.e., burning off) and viscosity degradation over time. It also has one of the best detergent "package" in the industry. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. I recently rebuilt my ITR motor and used Castrol during the early stages of driving/break in. It did not consume a drop and left not one speck of soot on my bumper. I then switched to "Honda brand" oil, and while it has used next to nothing there is ocasionally some soot build-up. I will be switching back to Castrol for comparison.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ed 341)

Basic Stuff on Oil Consumption I've observed over the last 6-8 years.

The Honda B, K, and F series motor tend to burn more oil than other engines (at least other Honda engines). Some consumption is fairly normal. Using thinner or synthetic oil tends to exasurbate (sp?) the problem based on what I've read on several forums, talking to owners, having a few of these cars. The standard Honda/Acura threshold has been the 1qt per 1000 miles for at least the past 8 years (as I used to complain about consumption in my ITR). There are also plenty of stories from the ITR forums on this site too regarding oil consumption, some very directly point to using synthetic and more pointed Mobil 1 as a primary contributor. S2K's tend to have more significant oil consumption than the b or k-series motors. Some guys on the S2K forums swear by a product called Krank Vents which is primarily used on motor cycles but also used on some cars. On the S2K's many have reported substantial reductions in consumption. Here's a link http://forums.s2000turbo.com/v...vents, there are others, this was the first I could find.

Also note, usually oil consumption on these engines (all B's, K's and F's) when their relatively low in mileage is simply due to blow-by on the oil control rings (pistons). So the fact the Krank Vent works, makes sense given the primary source of oil loss. Anyway, just thought I throw this out....
Old 01-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (typer_801)

Thanks for the FYI. I may have to try that and post results.

Quick Reply: 06 Si burning oil