Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Would I be able to use these rims?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would I be able to use these rims?!

Would I be able to use these rims on my 2002 Honda Civic?

I would probably look for medium-low profile tires. Like 40-45mm thickness but no more.

My real concern is will the offset be alright, with using these rims?

16 INCH NS 1508 WHEELS INTEGRA NEON CIVIC BMW ACCORD CRX MIATA MR2 JETTA DEL SOL | eBay

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Would I be able to use these rims?!

Originally Posted by SunriseSunset
Would I be able to use these rims on my 2002 Honda Civic?

I would probably look for medium-low profile tires. Like 40-45mm thickness but no more.

My real concern is will the offset be alright, with using these rims?

16 INCH NS 1508 WHEELS INTEGRA NEON CIVIC BMW ACCORD CRX MIATA MR2 JETTA DEL SOL eBay

Thanks.
rims are fine, yes. tire size isn't 40-45mm though. read up a little on what the second number means, it's a % if tread width - therefore, it's not a fixed number. it depends on the width of the tire. like a 225/45/16 is taller and wider than a 205/45/16. so even though the middle number is the same, the actual height of the tire is different, since the tread width is different.

just stick to a normal size tire, I don't think you know enough about tire sizing to spec your own.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you sure about that? Everwhere I've read just explains that the 2nd number is literally the thickness of the tire from rim to the top. Which low profile tire sizes would you recommend to work with the 2002 honda civic coupe LX, using those rims? Thanks
Old 04-15-2017, 01:17 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you sure about that? Everwhere I've read just explains that the 2nd number is literally the thickness of the tire from rim to the top. Which low profile tire sizes would you recommend to work with the 2002 honda civic coupe LX, using those rims? Thanks
Well, everywhere you've read (thus far) is incorrect. The second number on a standard passenger vehicle tire always refers to a sidewall measurement that is a percent reference to the treadwidth. For example (using bbarbulo's comparison):

225/45/16 - sidewall height 101.25mm
205/45/16 - sidewall height 92.25mm

As for your request... low-profile tires on a 16" wheel will be undersized for the chassis, and can be unsafe when it comes to braking and handling. Not to mention it will throw off your speedometer and odometer. An appropriate size for the 16" wheels you're looking for would be a 205/50/16 or 225/45/16.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh okay thank you!!!! I'm more of a unit measurement kind of guy. If u can break things related down to those terms and comparisons. I'll get what you're sayin.

But which would be the smallest tire size that would work for those rims then? (Aiming towards low-profile style)
And perhaps one more option that's a little bit larger, but still looks low-profile-ish. Just for options.

Because he said neither of those tire sizes will work for those rims.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 AM
Sanji

Oh okay thank you!!!! I'm more of a unit measurement kind of guy. If u can break things related down to those terms and comparisons. I'll get what you're sayin.
Tire measurements aren't as simple as a "unit measurement"; so if using a percentage-based measurement system is too challenging... I don't know how to help you.

But which would be the smallest tire size that would work for those rims then? (Aiming towards low-profile style)
And perhaps one more option that's a little bit larger, but still looks low-profile-ish. Just for options.

Because he said neither of those tire sizes will work for those rims.
I gave you ideal tire sizes for that wheel you listed. One's not particularly "lower profile" out of the two, since you still need the same overall diameter of the tire. Honestly, I don't know what you're truly asking for... an unsafe tire size? Because I'm not in the habit of giving unsound advice.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
Well, everywhere you've read (thus far) is incorrect. The second number on a standard passenger vehicle tire always refers to a sidewall measurement that is a percent reference to the treadwidth. For example (using bbarbulo's comparison):

225/45/16 - sidewall height 101.25mm
205/45/16 - sidewall height 92.25mm

As for your request... low-profile tires on a 16" wheel will be undersized for the chassis, and can be unsafe when it comes to braking and handling. Not to mention it will throw off your speedometer and odometer. An appropriate size for the 16" wheels you're looking for would be a 205/50/16 or 225/45/16.
Oh, man. I never saw the 2nd part to your post. This answers everything. I thank you!!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So if I were shopping for the widest tires possible (on a stock suspension, except I may want to lower it just a little in the future) but I don't want to run into any clearance issues or offset issues, then what size tire and rim should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for at least 16 inch preferably 17 inch rims.

And tire size, I want the low profile look. Kinda like the S2000 tire size. Except on my 2002 Honda civic Coupe LX.

So what would be the best tire and rim size that I should look for?

(Note: I am willing to buy adapters or spacers if needed)

Old 04-17-2017, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking about getting the 2006 Acura RSX rims. Would they fit with low profile tires, and not have any problems?

I'd imagine that I'd have to find some adapters for the lubnut patterns in order to use those, but would there still be clearance problems??

I wouldn't mind the tires sticking out from the car like 1-2 inches. I think that would look badass and I'd eventually get fenders to help the look.
I don't want to run into any clearance issues or offset issues

I'm just asking if someone could help guide me. Like say you were in my shoes and you were wanting to put The '06 RSX (17") rims on your '02 civic with low profile-ish-looking tires, what adapters would you buy and what size tires would you buy? And how good would it fit afterwards? issues or no issues? Thanks guys!!!!!! Have a good day.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:37 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious if you understand how offset works. You say you don't mind the tires sticking out 1-2 inches, but you're concerned with clearance issues. And then on top of that you're trying to run adapters to make it fit the RSX rims. So question is do you understand how offset works?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What i meant by saying clearance issues, i was meaning the inside of the frame when turning the wheel. Like i want to be able to turn the wheel as far as the stock setup allows without any issues. Etc.

Not concerned with how far they stick out as long as i can just line it up nicely with a new fender or wide bodykit in the future.

It would help if i knew how offset works. If you can send me a resource to learn from id appreciate it.

But i also wanna know if the 06 rsx 17inch rims would work with adapters. Like 1 or 2 inch sized spacer adapters. And what tire size would i need for that setup.

Or what kind of setup would you do if you had the same desired style in mind as me.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:40 PM
Sanji

So if I were shopping for the widest tires possible (on a stock suspension, except I may want to lower it just a little in the future) but I don't want to run into any clearance issues or offset issues, then what size tire and rim should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for at least 16 inch preferably 17 inch rims.

And tire size, I want the low profile look. Kinda like the S2000 tire size. Except on my 2002 Honda civic Coupe LX.

So what would be the best tire and rim size that I should look for?

(Note: I am willing to buy adapters or spacers if needed)

I'm thinking about getting the 2006 Acura RSX rims. Would they fit with low profile tires, and not have any problems?

I'd imagine that I'd have to find some adapters for the lubnut patterns in order to use those, but would there still be clearance problems??

I wouldn't mind the tires sticking out from the car like 1-2 inches. I think that would look badass and I'd eventually get fenders to help the look.
I don't want to run into any clearance issues or offset issues

I'm just asking if someone could help guide me. Like say you were in my shoes and you were wanting to put The '06 RSX (17") rims on your '02 civic with low profile-ish-looking tires, what adapters would you buy and what size tires would you buy? And how good would it fit afterwards? issues or no issues? Thanks guys!!!!!! Have a good day.
What i meant by saying clearance issues, i was meaning the inside of the frame when turning the wheel. Like i want to be able to turn the wheel as far as the stock setup allows without any issues. Etc.

Not concerned with how far they stick out as long as i can just line it up nicely with a new fender or wide bodykit in the future.

It would help if i knew how offset works. If you can send me a resource to learn from id appreciate it.

But i also wanna know if the 06 rsx 17inch rims would work with adapters. Like 1 or 2 inch sized spacer adapters. And what tire size would i need for that setup.

Or what kind of setup would you do if you had the same desired style in mind as me.

I'm sorry, but what I gather from all this back and forth contradiction... is that you really don't know what you want. You go from wanting no clearance issues to tire poke, to big tires, to low profile... I find it nearly impossible to answer this kind of questioning with any form of direction.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All I did was explain that I wanted to avoid tire poke...
I said that I wanted the same clearance as the OEM stock tires have. With no issues. Obviously for safety reasons.

But I was asking for some of your guy's preference for an EM2 rim + tire size combinations? So that I have some good options to choose from. (with the type of style I have in mind) (kind of a silver-star RIM, or if it's black, I want it to look sporty perhaps with a nice brand name on one of the spokes. I've seen some of those that look good but can't remember where I saw them.)

I'm looking for the middleground of performance/handing, and style. Probably 50/50. Style/performance. Not straight Drag race tires. And not straight Style to the point they make an unsafe drive. The happy medium is what I wish for.

Sorry if I overworded and overcomplicated that. I was in the middle of a Drs appointment and there were a lot of people talking around me while I was typing the posts.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1 inch = 25.4 mm

OEM rim size = 14-15″ diameter, 5-6″ width

OEM tire size = P185/70/R14

185 mm * 0.7 = 129.5 mm (Tire height)

129.5 / 25.4 = 5.10in (Tire)

5.10in (Tire) + 14in (Rim) = 19.1 inches overall OEM tire+rim diameter in inches.

So if I were to use those 16" custom rims with the 205/45/16 - sidewall height 92.25mm
Tires, the total tire+rim diameter in inches would be about 19.63.

I imagine, this would work. But yet I don't know about offset. What it means, or how to decide if I'd run into trouble involving it.

However the 205/45/16 tire size is roughly 3.63 inches tall. I wouldn't really call that low profile either.

I guess I should look for 17 or maybe 18inch rims?

Take care everyone. Keep on keeping on...
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 PM
Sanji

But I was asking for some of your guy's preference for an EM2 rim + tire size combinations?
In fairness, what I find attractive and desirable probably differs from what you do. Therefore, I really do not see a point to giving a subjective opinion... especially since it isn't my money on the table. As for sizing, I've already given an explanation for the previous wheel choices, but for my dollar... its always going to favor a wider tire with a stickier compound. But, my Civic isn't one that is daily driven.

1 inch = 25.4 mm

OEM rim size = 14-15″ diameter, 5-6″ width

OEM tire size = P185/70/R14

185 mm * 0.7 = 129.5 mm (Tire height)

129.5 / 25.4 = 5.10in (Tire)

5.10in (Tire) + 14in (Rim) = 19.1 inches overall OEM tire+rim diameter in inches.

So if I were to use those 16" custom rims with the 205/45/16 - sidewall height 92.25mm
Tires, the total tire+rim diameter in inches would be about 19.63.

I imagine, this would work. But yet I don't know about offset. What it means, or how to decide if I'd run into trouble involving it.

However the 205/45/16 tire size is roughly 3.63 inches tall. I wouldn't really call that low profile either.

I guess I should look for 17 or maybe 18inch rims?

Take care everyone. Keep on keeping on...
Well, for starters, your math is completely wrong (for this application).
185 x .70 = 129.5mm (Sidewall height)
x 2 = 259mm (Overall sidewall distance for diameter calculation)
+ 355.6mm (14" wheel diameter)
= 614.6mm (24.20") Overall wheel and tire diameter

By comparison to your requested tire size...
205 x .45 = 92.25mm (Sidewall height)
x 2 = 184.5mm (Overall sidewall distance for diameter calculation)
+ 406.4mm (16" wheel diameter)
= 590.9mm (23.26") Overall wheel and tire diameter

The problem I mentioned way back in my earlier post, was that the difference in overall wheel and tire diameter is unsafe. A 3% difference is considered the maximum allowable safe condition. The difference between these two sizes is 3.86%.

Now, as for wanting a lower profile tire, you should be aware that your ride quality will diminish. A 17" wheel and tire combination would help "achieve" what I think you're trying to go for... but as far as I'm concerned, I don't really know for sure.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you sure about that?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
In fairness, ....
you literally have the patience of a saint.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by bbarbulo
you literally have the patience of a saint.
Well... lol, I guess that's good?