Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Transmission Issues

Yesterday I just bought an 03 CIVIC LX COUPE with 1.7L L4 PFI SOHC 16V, red with 112,759 mile with an already existing automatic transmission problem. When I start the car, you can hear a slight gear like noise coming from engine bay area. When I depress brake and move shifter to reverse the gear like noise goes away and everything hums perfectly and the car reverses. Then I place the shift in "D" and there is no engaging of the gears to move forward. As if it was in neutral? Then I move shifter to "D3" and the same thing as above. But when I place the shifter in "2" it engages and moves forward with no gear noise, just humming perfectly. As I approach 20 mpr I manually move shifter to "D3" and it shifts and it shifts and the rpm lower like normal as if it were in the normal drive position. At 40 mpr I shift to "D" and every thing is moving fine. But the RPM's are at 3000 at 55 mpr? Is this a internal transmission problem, transmission solenoids or transmission module problem. I hope this is something I can repair, I’m an old school certified back yard mechanic from my USAF machinist days in the 1980’s.

I know I jumped in deep, but the price was right, I paid $600.00 for it! I want to give this to my son who is serving in the USAF as a Fireman and is stationed at Canon AFB New Mexico. And get my 96 Accord back from him. Any help?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird mechanical issue on a 03 civic, the dealer can't even figure it out.

for huizarroy. When these cars were new under Honda Canada Inc warranty, at the dealers we usually replaced the selonoids as a first diagnosis, which were easy to change as they were external. My choice would be to remove automatic, and replace with a manual conversion, although you got such a good deal on the car you could get the automatic trans rebuilt, and still have saved several thousand.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission Issues

Get a rebuilt tranny and slap it in. The only bad thing is the sub frame on these has to be dropped to do the swap