Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Parking Brake Stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Stuck?

Hey guys, my 2005 4dr Civic has been sitting for months now and when I went to go move it, the back tires are seized. I've had the parking brake up the whole time it's been sitting. Any idea how I could break the wheels free? I sprayed WD-40 all behind both rear wheels but still nothing.

The e-brake handle seems really tight and I tried to move it up and down a bunch but there's still a lot of tension on it.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Icon3 Re: Parking Brake Stuck?

Hi there.
Mine is 2004,(66,000 mi) and brakes are the same. 2003, 2004, 2005 altough previous are exactly same.
I've just done work to rears: your problem seems to be quiete simple: shoes are sized or sticked to drums.
You will need to take off wheels, and take off drums (your problem) and use sand paper on both shoes and drums.to elimate Rust
Take out the two philips retainer screws using an Impact driver (mandatory, about $10 AutoZone); otherwise, You'll destroy screws and need to drill.
There are 2 smallest holes to insert screws to push out drum drom hub wich MUST be sized too
There are lots of YouTubes about rear brake replacement: take a look to figure out how are assembled shoes and drums and what I wrote about Philips screws and Smallest holes
Please, let me know if You've figured out
Pepe
Best Regards from Mexico City