Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

My engine committed suicide

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engine committed suicide

From what a mechanic has been able to piece together, the spring on my 2002 Civic DX Sedan's timing belt tensioner broke. It got pulled into the crankshaft gear, breaking it, and I have damaged valves. (I was told two valves have clear damage and they recommended replacing all 8. Unfortunately, I don't remember what exactly they said about the other 6 -- whether they have minor damage, they suspect they have damage, or what.) I have not yet personally witnessed the carnage.

They said that the most cost-effective option would be to repair the head I have, vs sending it away for repair or finding an existing rebuilt head. (At least that's was my interpretation of what they said.) The total repair cost would be a hair under $1,700, including the diagnosis work they've done already. KBB's lowest price (trade-in in fair condition; 122,750 mi) is something like $2,150 so at least in that sense it looks like it's worth it, but I haven't given them instructions to proceed yet. (I am not a car person -- I wouldn't do this repair myself by any means.)

Some questions:

1. I'll probably stop by the shop tomorrow morning in person. What sorts of things should I ask or look for to make sure what they're saying is reasonable? It's at a mechanic I haven't used before (not much choice...) and I'm not exactly in a position where I can reasonably comparison shop. Does it at least sanity check?

2. One thing I'm really worried about is that the $1700 won't fix it, and it'll go higher. For example, what's the chance of piston damage? Is there something they can do to verify that there isn't piston damage before proceeding? (I am in Madison, WI.)

3. Let's say that I take a very simplistic perspective on what the car is worth right now as $KBB - $REPAIR. Hypothetically, I could envision a dealer being willing to take it as a trade-in and do the repair themselves ignoring the profit margin on the repair in order to make a car sale. But that seems far-fetched. Do I have options other than (a) scrap (b) repair?

4. This is not really a fair question, but at what point do you give up with an old car and just go get a new/"new" one? (I rather don't want to do that, but I could.) I've had a few fairly big-ticket non-regular repairs in the last few years; should, say, $1000/yr or a bit more in repairs be expected for a car this age? Is there some inspection I could get a mechanic to do to look for other things that are about to die?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My engine committed suicide

For 1700$ you could get a 2 used engine.I don't know how much engines go for on your side of town but here in CA. A 40k mile SOHC motor with warranty from a shop will cost you 500-700$ dollars . Install another 300$.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:53 PM
j13
Honda-Tech Member

Pick up a long block and install it yourself.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Damage to the block and internal components. Any warpage to the head.

2. Valves are screwed because they hit the top of the pistons. Which usually happens as the pistons are harder. That doesn't mean they weren't damaged though.

3. IF they don't offer scrap prices the dealer MAY give you enough for it for a down payment. They're just gonna sell it to the local tote-the-note or auction it. You could try selling it on CL but, you're not gonna get near $2100. You could also source your own engine or head and just pay the mechanic for labor, which I can almost guarantee will end up being more expensive. Nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/

4. For a car this age- yes. You could ask the mechanic to look the whole vehicle over but, keep this question in mind- How long do I plan on keeping this car? If it's a couple of years, get a new car. Longer than that and I would repair it.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by killaberna
For 1700$ you could get a 2 used engine.I don't know how much engines go for on your side of town but here in CA. A 40k mile SOHC motor with warranty from a shop will cost you 500-700$ dollars . Install another 300$.
Anything close to Madison is running $1000 for a reman. 3 year warranty tho
Old 04-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by j13
Pick up a long block and install it yourself.
This isn't feasible. I have neither the tools nor the experience nor a location to do the repairs.

Originally Posted by lazlong
You could try selling it on CL but, you're not gonna get near $2100.
You mean as-is, or post-repair?

Originally Posted by lazlong
You could ask the mechanic to look the whole vehicle over but, keep this question in mind- How long do I plan on keeping this car? If it's a couple of years, get a new car.
Definitely less than that. Before now I would have said I'd probably be late this year. I would still like that to be the case, but... maybe it's wishful thinking?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

iMO strip your engine.

if the pistons and all the valve seats are ok, fix your engine or else get a used engine from a crashed car...

Last edited by turbomaniac; 04-09-2014 at 02:30 PM.